News   Apr 15, 2024
 950     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 650     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

... and hugely entertaining it was too, thanks to a libretto that was relentlessly critical of Gargantua and all his tawdry works, four Faculty of Music student composers who worked as one, a mostly fine cast of singers - notably lyric tenor Andrew Haji as Ford, Eliza Johnson as his mother and Jamilynn Gubbe as the Unhappy Seagull - and a splendid orchestra, lively staging and set design that worked well.

... and hugely entertaining it was too, thanks to a libretto that was relentlessly critical of Gargantua and all his tawdry works, four Faculty of Music student composers who worked as one, a mostly fine cast of singers - notably lyric tenor Andrew Haji as Ford, Eliza Johnson as his mother and Jamilynn Gubbe as the Unhappy Seagull - and a splendid orchestra, lively staging and set design that worked well.

Wish I had the smarts to avail myself of a ticket when I could. So sorry I missed it!

See you at another opera, Tosca, on Wednesday. Let's see, what finery shall I wear ..hmm.

Yes, see you then.

Rob Ford: The Opera was free, but a full house ( about 700, I believe ). People were turned away.

It was a great turnout. Full capacity in house of 815 plus over 100 watched in the lobby on the screens. Probably about a couple dozen stopped by but left since they couldn't get a seat. It probably won't play again, but you never know. Onwards and upwards.

Yes, a wonderful turnout, and the balcony so rarely gets used - even at the several Luminato events I've been to, with major international touring companies, it wasn't. Hint to the COC: put on a few locally written operas in our lifetimes, please!

Yes, the only other time it's been opened in recent memory is when the Faculty did Candide a couple years ago - four 90-95% sold performances of that production.

And yes, some more local (and topical) opera would definitely bring out folks as was shown here.

Yesterday morning to the ROM for the Currelly Society sponsored lecture - this month novelist Eva Stachniak gave an illustrated talk on Catherine the Great, the subject of her The Winter Palace. A full house, almost, in the downstairs theatre.

Then off to Osgoode Hall for their very reasonably priced lunch, meeting interchange42 and my baritone friend who works at the COC. Much chatter about this and that, though interchange had to hurry away to a meeting, sadly. Of the food, the starter, a lobster salad, was a tad chilly and tasteless, but the lamb shank and the dessert were excellent, as was the glass of red that I knocked back.

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/dailymenu/

Later that night, to the opera, Tosca, a chance encounter with a couple more glasses of red, and more chatter ... with Archivist, with the lovely and talented TonyV and his partner, and with someone I used to work with, her husband in tow. Also, I conclude that the right half of my row, row B in Ring 4, is peopled entirely by middle aged operaqueens, which is most pleasant.

Thought the production, which they introduced a few years ago, very good, Adrianne Pieczonka as Tosca and Mark Delavan as the terribly naughty Scarpia especially. The Mario, Carlo Ventre, was loud and unconvincing at the start, but had improved vastly by the time he faced the firing squad. The chorus, as ever, were tremendous. And the conductor, Signor Carignani, a little bald headed Italian man, elicited wonderful sounds from the orchestra, and loud sounds too in the manner of the late Richard Bradshaw.

... oh, and for the all important style notes: I wore my sleek, plum coloured D&G Velveteen Shocker jacket that I bought at Holts ages ago, with a brown velveteen waistcoat and a dark green velveteen scarf both with the same vaguely Baroque pattern, both of which I bought at Value Village on separate occasions, a polka dot bow tie I found lying on the sidewalk in Cabbagetown last fall, a custom made shirt in grey, Rag & Bone grey jeans from lileo ... and shiny shoes.

Yesterday morning to the ROM for the Currelly Society sponsored lecture - this month novelist Eva Stachniak gave an illustrated talk on Catherine the Great, the subject of her The Winter Palace. A full house, almost, in the downstairs theatre.

Then off to Osgoode Hall for their very reasonably priced lunch, meeting interchange42 and my baritone friend who works at the COC. Much chatter about this and that, though interchange had to hurry away to a meeting, sadly. Of the food, the starter, a lobster salad, was a tad chilly and tasteless, but the lamb shank and the dessert were excellent, as was the glass of red that I knocked back.

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/dailymenu/

Later that night, to the opera, Tosca, a chance encounter with a couple more glasses of red, and more chatter ... with Archivist, with the lovely and talented TonyV and his partner, and with someone I used to work with, her husband in tow. Also, I conclude that the right half of my row, row B in Ring 4, is peopled entirely by middle aged operaqueens, which is most pleasant.

Thought the production, which they introduced a few years ago, very good, Adrianne Pieczonka as Tosca and Mark Delavan as the terribly naughty Scarpia especially. The Mario, Carlo Ventre, was loud and unconvincing at the start, but had improved vastly by the time he faced the firing squad. The chorus, as ever, were tremendous. And the conductor, Signor Carignani, a little bald headed Italian man, elicited wonderful sounds from the orchestra, and loud sounds too in the manner of the late Richard Bradshaw.

Maaahhhvelous seeing you at the opera, my dear. Tosca was so well done. The critics are right when they say that this production rests on Adrianne Pieczonka, she was the centre of it all. Much of what you write about the other singers is spot on. As for the conductor, well, he is a very special talent, perhaps one of the top three conductors we've seen at the opera of late.

The scene in which Tosca commits her crime of passion is a bit clumsy, I believe, due to the costume (full length gown) that she wears. It would be better if she were able to jet around the stage in this scene, rather than claw at the air so much, given the situation. I had sympathy for Adrianne Pieczonka in this part of the opera. Other than that, a fabulous production.

This opera, Tosca, comes around a lot, and that's okay with me; each act has a great shiny tune, it's hugely satisfying stuff.

The Saturday night (January 28) Toronto Symphony Orchestra concert featured playing that only comes in the best of orchestras. They put on a blazing performance of Bartok's Miraculous Mandarine Suite under guest conductor James Gaffigan.

I can't say it better than R E-G in the Globe and Mail. I agree that Gaffigan would be welcomed as a guest more frequently, he is an amazing young talent with the ability to pull this complex and difficult score together so well. This concert will live in my memory for a while. The programmatic line of this work has been detailed in the critique below, but Gaffigan gave a more vivid account from the stage, prior to it being played. Quite a lurid tale, actually, hence it was banned from performance and Bartok never heard it played during his lifetime.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ouse-with-bartoks-sordid-tale/article2316370/

TSO rocks the house with Bartok’s sordid tale
ROBERT EVERETT-GREEN
From Friday's Globe and Mail

Toronto Symphony Orchestra
James Gaffigan, conductor
At Roy Thomson Hall
In Toronto on Thursday

Orchestras played lots of dance music in the 18th century, but forgot most of the steps during the era of big, serious symphonies. It took an interest in ballet by major modernists like Stravinsky to put dance scores back on the orchestral agenda.

Some of those scores are more often heard in concert than seen in motion. Just you try dancing to The Rite of Spring, or to Bartok’s The Miraculous Mandarin.

Choreographed productions of that dance-pantomime from 1926 are rare. The music is a wonderfully prickly bundle of sensuality and aggression. It’s also very difficult to play. You’ve really got to be committed to the piece to bring it off, and to carry an audience with you.

The TSO and the young American conductor James Gaffigan took on the challenge this week, and rewarded a somewhat sparse audience on Thursday with more thrills than a ride through a house of horrors – which is what Menyhert Lengyel’s libretto more or less describes. No major composer has chosen a more sordid tale for a ballet.

The action concerns three thugs who get a young woman to dance in an upper-storey window, so as to lure up male passersby to be robbed. Three suckers appear, two are thrown down the stairs, and the third – the mandarin of the title – survives three murder attempts and a mysterious case of auto-iridescence before dying in the woman’s arms. His dogged chase after her through much violent mayhem, and his death as soon as she embraces him, marks the ballet as a parable and a warning about the force of erotic desire.

The music unfolds almost like a cartoon- or film-score, abruptly changing direction with each twist in the story. It was amusing to sit among the TSO’s well-behaved audience as everyone tried to imagine each beating, stabbing and erotic shimmy telegraphed by the music.

It would be possible to achieve a rather cold success with this piece just by nailing its extensive technical demands. Gaffigan and the TSO went much further. They found the gait and gestural character of Bartok’s rugged phrases, and made them their own. They didn’t just show us how the music went, they played how it should feel in the body. As much as they could while sitting, they danced through this piece.

Bartok used a big orchestra for The Miraculous Mandarin, and shone a spotlight on just about every section at some point or other. By the end, it seemed a minor miracle that Toronto has such a terrific collection of players all in one group. Individuals who stood out included clarinetist Joaquin Valdepenas, who deftly traced Bartok’s often contorted sketches of the woman’s dancing, and oboist Sarah Jeffrey, whose dark-toned solos hinted at the unsayable mysteries concealed between the notes.

Principal trumpeter Andrew McCandless stepped to the front for Haydn’s Trumpet Concerto in E-flat major, surmounting a troublesome cold to deliver a gleaming and elegant performance. If there are indeed trumpets at the gates of Heaven, they sound like his. He also managed the rare trick, in his brief pre-performance remarks, of being both funny and informative.

The concert opened with Brahms’s Variations on a Theme by Haydn, vividly played and characterized, from the bumptious rocking sixth variation to the lilting pastoral that immediately follows, to the pompous fugal variation at the end. If I were running the TSO, I would book Gaffigan for another visit, and soon.

Last edited:
I wish we had a local ballet that was the equivalent to Opera Atelier that put on revivals of avant-garde Modernist ballets from the 1910s, 20s and early 30s, with music from that age - Ballets Russes and the like. I've got a book on the Ballet Suédois that's got reproductions of the sets and costumes for their performances, designed by artists of the day, and they're fabulous. The music was by Satie, Poulenc, and the like ...

Here's the dada film Entr'acte, from 1924, that's in the same spirit:

http://www.ubu.com/film/clair_entracte.html

Went for a long walk today, along Queen East. Then took the streetcar over to Roncy and strolled back along Queen to York Street, down through PATH to FCP where I ran into interchange ... and then by streetcar back here to Riverdale.

Love From Afar (Saariaho), Canadian Opera Company, Feb 8th, 2012

As we left the opera house last night after Love From Afar, we said to ourselves "oh well".

In brutal honesty the presentation went from okay in the pre-intermission part to simply painful, post-intermission. Up to a point I had been thinking that the music writing and overall concept was an improvement on Debussy, but things degenerated, rather badly I'd say, in the second half. The music itself was very beautiful until the monotony set in about two-thirds through. Prior to the last scene, I had had simply enough and was ready to leave the theatre early, and I suspect I was not alone in that sentiment.

I will fault the staging most of all, but I have to fault the writing to a large degree, too. To keep this concise, I found the circus antics detrimental to the presentation. I know that the effects were used to illustrate the story line but I don't need to be hit over the head with imagery to get the point.

The opera went for its tumble in the last scene (or perhaps the last two scenes). There was a foreshadow prior to intermission that things were going to get a bit over-the-top, with Jaufré Rudel's "now look what you've done" scene, which in itself was quite well done. The recriminations at the end of the opera, by Clemence, were understandable at their start, but they went on for too long and so I felt that the composer got quite carried away. There is wisdom in brevity. The composer is still alive, maybe there's a chance the ending will get an edit.

The circus antics at end were, for me, unbearable (except for the gorgeous hunks suspended in mid-air on the wires, they took some of the pain away).

All things considered, Love From Afar uses novel and effective use of voice, orchestra and choral forces, but the writing is brought down by excesses. I'd skip this opera if it finds itself on the roster again.

The cast of singers, the chorus, the orchestra all acquitted themselves wonderfully. Too bad I want to forget about this opera, given all the wonderful efforts by the singers and the orchestra.

Separate topic: only a few days prior I went to TSO, to hear Herbig conduct Beethoven and Shostakovich, and I was richly rewarded. That was an evening I will remember for a long time. The program really deserves a separate review but I am short of time. Shostakovich is in great hands when Herbig is on the podium, and Beethoven was at his Germanic best (the wonderful Anton Kuerti on piano sharing his intimate view of the Emperor concerto).

Edit: at the opera, the most fun I had all evening arrived during intermission: learning from Shocker the results of the TTC-related vote.

Last edited:
I couldn't make it last night so I gave my tickets away. Around 9pm, I got a txt msg from the recipient, which read "Opera is awful. Falling asleep. Left at intermission. Thanks though!".

Ha! Things certainly took a tumble for you after the intermission, Tony, and that comes as quite a surprise. Youse guys were enjoying it up until then, anyway. Yes, I'd been irritated by the Cirque shit right from the start, as we'd discussed, mainly because I thought the music and singing was so strong it didn't need visual amplification with irritating acrobatics. Those boxes and screens, descending for no apparent reason now and then, were particularly silly. Generally, although the orchestration continued at a consistent level throughout the evening, and the singing ( especially Krisztina Szabò, I thought ) was at times riveting, I found the opera to be hypnotic rather than monotonous. The video of waves in the second act was an improvement as far as the staging went, if only because it had a calming effect, until the aereal frantics and flag-wavers reappeared. And what, on earth, was that perambulator they trundled across the stage and used for shadow puppet shows supposed to add? However, I bought into the production much as I bought into the Ring and that's where we obviously part ways. I just meditated, I suppose, on the idea of love and life and loss as the opera rolled onwards and rather enjoyed it. But, yes, I agree that brevity would have improved the ending, it felt as if the composer couldn't figure how to end it and kept piling up effects after effects.

Next time, Roy, come up to meet us at the Ring 4 bar at intermission! Last night, in addition to the esteemed Tony, I shared a row with interchange and Archivist. Frightfully nice people, all.

Back