News   Aug 01, 2024
 431     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 550     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 484     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Welcome back, Tony. After my partner died I thought I'd never stop crying - the shock of our physical separation crowded out all sense of our abiding spiritual connection for the longest time. But now, it's as if I'm seeing the world for both of us - like having an invisible friend tagging along ... quite zany.

I'm retiring on the 24th, with some sort of going-away thing happening at work next Wednesday. There's a ROM Currelly Society show-and-tell about new paleontological finds on Tuesday, that I'll slip away to for a few hours. Then, in early October, I'm to England for a couple of weeks to see family, to explore the Stirling Prize nominated Ashmolean addition in Oxford, and generally decompress. I've had to rearrange Aida and Death In Venice for later in the month.

This coming Sunday afternoon one of my former work wives is treating me to a Tafelmusik concert, at St. Paul's Anglican on Bloor near Church. When her hubby's out of town I'm Faux Michael.

Time, perhaps, to rename this thread? What Urban Shocker will be up to from now on is anyone's guess - and it won't involve as much internet.

Sorry to hear of your losses, TonyV.

It is strange, wonderful and almost magical how music can speak so intimately to the emotions at times like these.

^ thanks, gristle and Urban Shocker, very much.

gristle: when my dad passed away some years ago, there was, conveniently, a Bach offering that I found soothing and helpful.

Shocker: needless to say, congratulations on the retirement. I hope you find it very rewarding! Enjoy your going-away offerings. I hope we hear from you at least a little bit on this page. I don't think this section should be renamed!

I had the opposite reaction when I heard songs that were "our" songs - on the radio, or as piped music when I was around town - in the months after Ambrose's death. The music, heard so unexpectedly, gave me an instant connection to him again, which only reinforced the sense of his absence. Things would get quite bleak, sometimes in the middle of happy events with plenty of people around. Now I can hear all those silly pop songs, and the classical music, and enjoy them again under any circumstances. On his last day, there was a tinny little radio in the Intensive Care room, and one of "our" songs came on, so I turned up the volume, and since it was quite obvious to both of us that he wasn't going to pull through, the symbolic meaning of the music - and the words spoken - turned out to be a gift for us both. Not that one needs a soundtrack to dying, of course.

My sympathy to you, Tony V. and my best wishes to Urban Shocker for a happy retirement.

Yes, happy retirement Urban Shocker. Hopefully that will mean more enjoyable time for opera, the symphony, the arts...

I'm sure you have plans.

On Saturday afternoon I wandered around Lightbox. I thought the bar/lounge area, and the fancy restaurant with outdoor seating, looked pretty good. Lots of seafood on the menu. The member's lounge, above it, was an odd little L-shaped space - thank goodness for the big windows. Handling, who was hunkered down in the lounge when I nosed about, was giving an interview in the Film Gallery - where the posters are on display - by the time I got up there. There are pretty mocha ware chamberpots on display in the case in that room too - items unearthed during the pre-construction dig - and some interesting blowups of very early maps of the area. Enjoyed the Essential 100 poster exhibition more for the graphics than for the underlying concept. I'll see films again for sure now this place is open - the lineup is very impressive.

On Sunday, taking the subway from Pape to Sherbourne to catch Tafelmusik, I sat next to a nice young man with a cardboard box on his lap. "What's in the box?" I asked. "A birthday present for my girlfriend" he said, slowly opening it. I glanced in, hoping for a SNL skit surprise. There was something furry down in there, for sure. Dude had a chinchilla in a box. Said it cost $140. Lucky girlfriend.

The concert, for subscribers, was a delightful surprise, too.

Had to use the car to-day (I only use it when needed). Beautiful warm day in the last third of a Toronto September.

Saw many gorgeous shirtless male cyclists. Why are there so many of them, where do they come from, and why don't I have the phone number of at least one of them??? I ain't chopped liver. Maybe I'm not making an effort...

TonyV for Mayor!!! I promise you more cyclists, more lanes, but most of all: more gorgeous shirtless male cyclists!!!

... TonyV for Mayor!!!

TonyV for Mayor!

Leave Your Shirt At Home Day ...proclaimed every day next Summer, for all cute cyclists.

To the ROM with interchange this afternoon. Dr. David Evans, Associate Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology, gave a lively talk about new dinosaur finds in South America, South Africa and Alberta. Then taken on a guided tour of the dino gallery, which we noticed has more items on display than the last time either of us visited. Than a rare behind-the-scenes look at the ROM's dino and mammals storage and conservation rooms. All kinds of reely reely old stuff on shelves.

Yup, all very enjoyable. Very glad to see the spaces that were blank upon opening now filling with exhibits from the collections. So much is left out-of-sight, behind the scenes at the ROM, that leaving blank spaces in the galleries and activating my horror vacui is pretty much unforgivable... so I am feeling more forgiving now: the dinosaur gallery finally feels packed with dinosaurs.

Wandering up to the third floor I was also happy to see areas boarded off for gallery construction; Nubia, Rome, Byzantium if I have that all correctly.

Early Life after that. Apparently that gallery will be named for one of the Bronfmans... but they still need funds raised to build it. W-w-w-w-wait a minute - why is it going to be named for Peter Bronfman? Wouldn't they have an easier time raising funds for a gallery that wasn't already named? Is there something I'm not getting?

TSO Opening Night - Mahler, Symphony No. 2, Oundjian, soloists

Toronto Symphony Orchestra opening night (Sept 23) was magnificent to say the least.

The grasp that Peter Oundjian showed, conducting this massive score, was truly impressive. This is an all-time-best performance from the TSO, what an opening! All involved, in fact, gave Oundjian an enormous encore all to himself at the end of it. The point where I got seduced was [edit] at the start of the fourth movement, where very careful balancing of horns is required to make for warmth. At that point the horns need to be heard behind the strings, and this moment was carried off so beautifully, giving way to the soprano's solo. The finale (fierce and gorgeous) was carried off in excellent fashion, too. Very minor fluffs and ragged entries as per opening night jitters; these are always forgiven when the overall shaping of a piece is achieved with such aplomb.

I'll let Robert Everett-Green say it for me:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/music/tso-opens-season-with-mahler-magic/article1723899/

TSO opens season with Mahler magic
Robert Everett-Green
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Sep. 24, 2010 1:46PM EDT

“Now or never,” advises the Toronto Symphony Orchestra’s latest sales campaign. That might seem an odd slogan for an organization that spends much of its time grooming “timeless” masterpieces, but it’s right on the money for Mahler’s Symphony No. 2. The young composer who wrote this sprawling work was in a mad hurry to square things with eternity, and willing to take every risk to do so. Its five movements are full of sudden changes of attitude, style and tone of voice.

Peter Oundjian chose this heaven-storming symphony to open his seventh season as TSO music director, and delivered the most satisfying performance I’ve ever heard from him with this fine orchestra. He did so, paradoxically, by countering Mahler’s restlessness with patience. He let each turn in the symphony’s convoluted progress have a full opportunity to weigh on our consciousness. He reminded us, in the best possible way, that large truths in music often hide in the small details.

It takes a certain toughness of mind to stand in front of a huge group of players and coax them to play in an intimate fashion. Yet this is what Mahler often demands in this piece, and Oundjian was ready to oblige. I’ve never been more conscious of his background in chamber music than during parts of the first movement. And yet the tensile nature of the movement’s persistent rhythm (so like the halting stiff gait of baroque French overture rhythm) never slackened, and when the big build-up was called for, the means were all prepared.

The opening of the second movement was a cloudless episode of almost Mendelssohnian charm, till the sinister triplet rhythm appeared, like a rude guest whose arrival was in the air all along. But the rolling perpetuum mobile of the third movement was disappointingly rickety, and out of keeping with the high focus of the rest of the performance.

The fourth movement, a setting of the song Urlicht, was feelingly sung by mezzo-soprano Susan Platts, but it was the last finishing notes from the orchestra that really lifted the piece into another realm. And then we were into the strange, apocalyptic finale, with its frequent halts, bizarre offstage brasses and palpable determination to look God in the face. This movement can easily fall apart in the early going, but in the first quiet section after the explosive opening, Oundjian found a dreamlike tone that created a charged atmosphere that persisted through the whole movement. The hushed entrance of the massed choir was magical (ditto the rise from that mass of Isabel Bayrakdarian’s radiant soprano) and though I can’t account for exactly how we got to the point at which the big tutti close felt emotionally right, it definitely did. At the end of the symphony, the whole place was on its feet.

I heard this piece a week ago in Montreal’s Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, and was kind of shocked at how much more present and alive everything sounded in Roy Thomson Hall. The colours of the orchestra were vivid and rich throughout this performance, and each section had abundant chances to shine, and did so.

Last edited:
Aida-Four Seasons Centre

Someone call the police!!! Sondra Radvanovsky's incredible voice is being held captive inside a production so lazy, and so cheap, it defies description. I follow the COC'c website enough to know that Tim Albrey wasn't going to give us a lush interpretation of "Aida",so what I got wasn't a surprise, just a total disappointment. He's set the opera, circa 1960, in an an unnamed country with what appears to be left-overs from the prop department of a local high school. Really, for the first twenty minutes I thought I was at a rehearsal; Board room tables, hotel chairs, dull, dull costumes. The "triumphal march" inspired snickers from the audience; there was nothing "triumphant" about it, just embarrassing and heartbreaking;such beautiful voices! Such wonderful music! Such a freaking awful production!!!

Many people left at intermission, angry, and rightly so! If you are planning to see this, my advice is to to sit back, close your eyes, and think of Egypt!

http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTickets/1011Season/Aida.aspx

Back