News   Aug 02, 2024
 389     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 599     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 303     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

The TSO were in great form last night. If Oundjian moves on, and we can't replace him with Yannick, I say we draft Dausgaard.

Kraggerud wasn't at all the pouty young man of the publicity shots. He flashed mischevious little grins at the conductor during the performance and gave good interview - informative, entertaining - at the intermission. He didn't put a stamp on the Mendelssohn in the way that Pekka Kuusisto did with The Four Seasons last fall, but brought out both the joy and the sadness in it - a performance to treasure.

The Pathetique was mesmerizing. The waltzy second movement felt like a brave front, knowing what was to come. And we knew we weren't supposed to emote at the conclusion of the mechanical third movement frogmarch, but there was some hootin' and hollerin' nonetheless. And at the end, when the music died, we just sat there in silence.

Up next, on Saturday, the bohos - frightfully nice people, though a tad consumptive.

The charmingly impoverished bohos were their usual charmingly colourful selves. The 905 crowd gasped in wonder and applauded the set as soon as the curtain rose on act two - as per usual. The singing sounded uniformly good to me, though the Mimi wasn't particularly engaging as a persona this time around. But the plot's impossible to damage, and the musical hits just kept on coming.

I sat in Ring 3 for a change, six seats back from the stage, overlooking the orchestra pit. It's nice to see things from a different perspective. Most of the staging is fairly central, so nothing was missed by being up there. The sound's good wherever you are in this place, and quite loud from where I was. I can't say the conductor was the greatest, but the band sounded fine. For the last act I moved back down to my usual orchestra-level seat.

Nobody famous in the fancy lounge.

We arrived in a downpour, and left in one.

I LOVE "charmingly impoverished bohos", but only when they can sing and only from a safe distance (consumption, swine flu etc). And speaking of distance, I've sat in a few different areas of the Four Seasons Centre; one can't really appreciate how BIG the pit is unless it's viewed from the upper levels. The friend I go to the opera with loves to watch the orchestra err..."orchestrate". I've found it a distraction and prefer to hear them rather than see them. So we sit on the orchestra level now, a surrender on her part and a happy victory on mine.
I look forward to gasping along with the 905 crowd; regardless of how many times I've seen this set I do, and I look forward to weeping like an idiot, as I have every time I've heard this opera. I LOVE a good sob.:):)

I'm looking forward to Robert Lepage's production of The Nightingale and Other Short Fables in the fall - when the pit's turned into a swimming pool and the band plays on stage.

Saturday night is 905 Nite downtown. The parents applaud everything that moves on stage at the opera house - and sometimes even the sets. Their kids are throwing up in the gutters and brawling in clubland a few blocks away.

My baritone friend, who works there, says that the weekend matinee audiences are the most knowledgeable when it comes to their purchases at the opera shop - they don't turn their noses up at CD's of great performances from 30 years ago and ask if there's something more recent.

The TSO were in great form last night. If Oundjian moves on, and we can't replace him with Yannick, I say we draft Dausgaard.

The Pathetique was mesmerizing.

Dausgaard really was on, Thursday night last week, same program. I've been impressed with a number of his concerts and I second your nomination.

He had no score in front of him while conducting the Tchaikovsky, and when they can do that and pull it off so well, I'm always impressed.

Sat up in nosebleed territory again and guess what, the interpretation really reached me. The last movement features some serious string writing, and the full-on minor key pleading in the strings in movement 4 always snags me -- this time it really took hold.

Thomas Dausgaard around all the time, what a nice thought. He seems to bring out all the best in the orchestra. I met him post concert a couple of years ago and believe me, he is a really lovely person.

Those on the Gardiner Museum's email list will probably have just received an invitation to an evening with director Tim Albery, who directs the new opera The Children's Crusade at Luminato. It'll be hosted by Adrienne Clarkson.

Meet-and-greet, nice chatter, drinkies, see the current exhibition etc. Be there ... or be square ... dahlings.

Oh ... a freebie, too!

Last night’s Toronto Symphony Orchestra concert left me enthralled. I must admit I’ve been lucky, the symphony concerts and operas I’ve been attending in Toronto lately have been excellent.

An absolutely enormous composition – Bruckner’s Symphony No. 8, was front and centre, conducted by Peter Oundjian. (An appetizer was offered, Bach’s piano concerto in D Minor – Jeremy Denk played a beautifully brisk version of this, backed by a chamber sized group).

After the Bach, an expanded TSO tore into the Bruckner in a very elegant way. I was watching and listening from up close. A great deal of “sweating the details†went into the preparation of this concert and it really paid off. I believe this piece is the longest or second-longest symphony in existence, and all of the forces kept up a wonderful standard, all the way through. While horns are the mainstay of this piece, I was sitting in awe of the string playing, which was outrageously beautiful.

The volume, at times, was just fierce. Thrilling for the most part but I was fearing an earache after --- I didn’t get one. (Do you ever wonder how the players fare being constantly exposed to these volumes? They probably appreciate that Bruckner isn’t done every week). Which brings around the attendance, the hall just over one-half full for this fantastic music. It is true that “Bruckner’s 8th†may sound a bit exotic to some people, but once you hear it you’ll go back again for it. I believe that Bruckner has the place that Wagner had years ago in Toronto -- still winning over converts. The weather was foul, to say the least, and that may be part of the reason for the poor turnout. I detected a strong German and Austrian presence in the audience, this is their music and they devour it whole.

The interpreting by Oundjian was fabulous. Overall there may have been one or two places where I didn’t think the pieces fit, but that is a small complaint, this work is hugely complex, and it was magic. The audience gave up a very prolonged ovation, one of the longest and most respectful I’ve seen here, in fact. My partner and I stood and applauded for what seemed like an eternity after the final downbeat. A quality audience made up for the empty seats.

Once you go Bruck. you never go back?

On Saturday I heard the Vancouver Symphony for the first time, at RTH, and was very impressed. The Debussy - Prelude - was langorous and lovely and drifted along beautifully. The second thing - The Linearity of Light by Jeffrey Ryan - sounded like the musical equivalent to sci-fi movie special effects at times and it really didn't do much for me at all, but it was very well played. Then pianist Avan Yu ( he's 21 but looks about 14 ) gave us Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini which was just swell - with the orchestra swooping around in the background and complementing him nicely. Yu gave an encore - something fast and perky that I didn't recognize.

In the second half we got Shosty's 5th. The only other time I've seen it done was in late 2004, when Yannick Nezet-Seguin filled in at the last moment and the TSO gave a performance that was quite beyond compare. This time I think it rather got away from the VSO, who gave a technical reading rather than one that made a direct emotional connection - with this audience member anyway, though you can tell when an audience generally fails to be fully engaged. A couple of nice encores, including some Elgar. I get the feeling that Bramwell Tovey, who I've seen conduct several times and enjoy, seems happier with the more lyrical and romantic repertoire.

I spent last night with the fairy folk ... and I just gotta say that Britten's A Midsummer Night's Dream is the opera that I've enjoyed the most, at the Four Seasons Centre, this season. Better even than War and Peace and Rusalka, which is saying a lot. The music was spellbinding, the performances were beautifully sung and acted, the orchestra was magic itself, and the sets and staging worked with the music and the story - not against them.

I spent last night with the fairy folk ... and I just gotta say that Britten's A Midsummer Night's Dream is the opera that I've enjoyed the most, at the Four Seasons Centre, this season. Better even than War and Peace and Rusalka, which is saying a lot. The music was spellbinding, the performances were beautifully sung and acted, the orchestra was magic itself, and the sets and staging worked with the music and the story - not against them.

Thank you, this makes me look forward all the more to seeing it next week. "La Bohème" was satisfactory, but then they could have had pigs singing on stage and I'd still be moved by the music and the writing. ( I will confess to having seen that set one time too many.) Frédérique Vézina was an adequate Mimi, David Pomeroy excellent as Rodolfo. I saw it with a god daughter of mine, her first time seeing it performed on stage. Half my pleasure was seeing her enjoying it so much.

A friend of mine saw A Midsummer Night's Dream on Sunday and left at intermission, disappointed. He was expecting something more gutsy, I think, perhaps akin to the earthy, multi-lingual version of the play we saw at Luminato last year.

Back