News   Aug 02, 2024
 640     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 963     2 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Great show.

Measha, as Elettra, tore the place up in her mad scene.

The rest of the cast were uniformly good.

The pretty dancing boys in tights, and the baroque sets, were a joy to behold.

One of the best things I've been to in a while.

I thought it was fantastic. One of the best performances I've seen in years.

The cast had no weak links when it came to voices.. wow.

Maniaci was a wonder to hear... his acting is not so good, but it doesn't matter.

Indeed. The fact that castrati are back at all is cause enough to celebrate.

I took notes during the mad scene. When my time comes I want to do it right.

Last night's TSO concert featured Eri Klas conducting and Alexander Toradze on piano. The program was Arvo Part, Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky. I couldn't have asked for a more exciting or interesting evening, and this is a concert that I will probably remember forever. A stroke of genius with the stringing together of the three pieces of music, and a huge measure of excitement in the audience. I really hope they invite Klas back because he is a true character, to say the very least. Wonderful orchestra.

Toradze played two touching encores dedicated to Jacques Israelievitch, the retiring concertmaster. Fabulous evening.

Well done. I regret not going.

I'm looking forward to Yo-Yo Ma tomorrow - the concert that Rostropovich was supposed to conduct, but now we've got ( grits teeth slightly ) Oundjian. And they're doing the 4th, rather than the originally planned "Pathetique".

Have they announced who'll replace Israelivitch?

There's a Chinese concert at the ROM on Sunday afternoon that I may see if it's raining and I can't garden. Lots of Chinese stuff happening there this month in fact; the latest ROM magazine reprints a promo for the endowment fund I set up in my late partner's name to encourage people to include the Museum in their estate and gift planning.

There's live Chinese classical music tomorrow night in the Gardiner Museum lobby, from 6 to 9 pm. Free admission.

German romanticism at the TSO tonight. I liked the Mendelssohn, and Biss was good but a little theatrical and goofy. The Schubert put me to sleep.

I was at TSO Thursday as well. Didn't like the Mendelssohn, loved the Beethoven, but was so-so with the Schubert. There's only one conductor who has made real sense of the Schubert 9th for me, Solti. Herbig's pace was sometimes boring, although there were appropriate places where he stopped to smell the flowers.

Herbig will be back next year to reprise his Mahler 6th which was the best work he ever did while he was music director at the TSO and I will be there.

After Wednesday night's concert, I'm tempted to finally and irrevocably put Herbig on my guest-conductor ignore list - for committing crimes against wakefulness.

After Wednesday night's concert, I'm tempted to finally and irrevocably put Herbig on my guest-conductor ignore list - for committing crimes against wakefulness.

I can't really go that far. I was a patron during his years here. His Shostakovich was the best, his Mahler (as with all conductors) was really uneven in quality; fabulous 6th and 7th but a very bad 9th. In general however I can say that he was a very poor fit as music director of the TSO.

My COC contact says they're quite close to an announcement concerning Bradshaw's replacement - but couldn't or wouldn't reveal any more.

I was thinking Ricardo Muti might have made a nice, "name" replacement, but he's been snapped up!

Oh goody! I shall be going to the ball after all - I just got invited to the premiere of Cinderella tonight. Review to follow ...

Okey-dokey!

Mrs. Browning was light as a feather as Cinders last night, and my man Guillaume made a dashing Prince Charming. What a swell pairing.

There was something very Ab Fab about the stepsisters - with an added touch of Edith Prickley to the Rebekah Rimsay one.

I thought the sets were a bit cluttered, but the Busby Berkeley era staging of the round-the-world sequence worked like a sleek, pared-down, cinematic dream sequence. Lots of funny little closeted things happening here and there too, as with the men in white tie and tails sequence. Very busy staging, lots to see, maybe a few things to miss if you don't keep up.

Back