News   May 02, 2024
 214     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 291     0 

Urban Planning Career Q

Toffee95

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section but I thought I would give it a try and see if there were any planners on here.

I am considering a career change and going back to school to study planning. I have become very interested in urban issues, design, artichecture and city planning over the last couple of years and am very interested in the possibilities a planning degree might bring.

But... I have been out of Uni for about 8 years and have amassed some debt as Toronto can be an expensive city to live and have fun it.

Do you know how much I could expect to make coming out of school? It is not about the money, more about meeting my current financial obligations.

Any other insight into planning as a career would be most appreciated.

Hey Toffee

As a planning student at Ryerson, I can tell you that planning jobs pay very well. A municipal planner for the city of Toronto, with a few years experience, can be making $60,000. Depending on what you were doing for those years you were outside of Uni, you might be able to list that experience.

I encourage you to look at Ryerson's programs. We have a two-year degree completion program, where you can get a bachelor or urban & regional planning in 5 semesters (two years, plus one summer to bring you up to speed). There are client-based projects, and many people are hired directed from these course projects. We're also getting a masters degree program, for next fall, and everyone is excited about that..

Best of luck, and feel free to P.M. me or Tuscani01 if you want any specific information about what Ryerson and the planning profession has to offer.

As a graduate of the Planning program at Waterloo, I've had a lot of good opportunities since I graduated last year. The co-op program there helps a lot too, and from that, I had 2 years of Planning experience upon graduation.

It's a great profession, with a lot of different routes you can take after graduating, as there seems to be planners for everything these days. I think as long as you have a passion for the public good, our cities and their built and social forms, you'll enjoy it.

I just found out on Monday that I got in to York's Urban Planning Masters program. I'm more than excited.

And you're right 299, planning seems to offer so many different avenues it's just fantastic. I was originally going to do a public policy degree, but felt it was too limited. Planning allows for public and private opportunities, and a far better chance that you're not just going to be pushing papers in the bureaucracy (having worked for the Ministry of Tourism, I've seen some of that first hand).

Just wondering what you both think would be good ways to prepare for the program? I'm one year out of my BA, so I'm a bit rusty as well. Did either of you do anything to prepare, and was there anything you needed to create a quick learning curve for? Thanks

Congrats, jn_12!

My advice (sorry to steal your thunder, 299:)) is to read the newspaper every day and go to public meeting and town hall sessions. Make sure you know what's going on in Toronto. You can't be an effective planner if you're out of touch with the community

Back