News   Apr 25, 2024
 125     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Upper Village (LEED Silver, Markham Rd n of 16th, Greenpark, 2x 23s, Kirkor)

You can tell that the NIMBYs are motivated more by Islamophobia than anything else because the most prominent silhouette in their brochure is clearly a mosque.

yea seriously. also way to distort the proportions. the mosque looks like 20 storeys tall.

This has turned out better than expected:

This section of Markham Road now finally has sidewalks:

From the north (this is where a number of other condo projects will go):

From Main Street to the south:

It may be conservative faux-historicism, but it has some elegance. The proportions and colours are decent. The effect of the setbacks is diminished by the exposed slab balconies all over the facade.

Demo of the sales centre for uv2 started today.. Sales centre has moved into one of the retail units in uv1. Looks like construction is starting!

Last edited:
Taken today out of a dirty GO bus window, but you can see the ruins of what was once the sales centre:

b5QX8br.jpg

It may be conservative faux-historicism, but it has some elegance. The proportions and colours are decent. The effect of the setbacks is diminished by the exposed slab balconies all over the facade.

No, it's terrible and your apologist stance only perpetuates more of these embarrassing, hick anachronisms. I expected more from you junctionist.

No, it's terrible and your apologist stance only perpetuates more of these embarrassing, hick anachronisms. I expected more from you junctionist.

These kind of personal attacks don't belong on this forum. I also think this project is decent. Not everything has to be a modernist masterpiece.

It doesn't seem right that I can't put people like this on "Ignore" because they are moderator or whatever. This guy deserves to be ignored!

I stand by my comments. The colour combination is good, and it has confident massing. The main problem is that no one really cared about building something with great architecture. It looks good, if far from remarkable.

Last edited:
I like historicist architecture, and wish we had more of it, but the problem is that very little of it is done well. I don't think this building is well done, either. The one storey white colonnade looks clumsy, and the cornice above the fifth floor is way too low (then again, it may be the perspective of the photograph). Also, the second storey windows are noticeably smaller and out of proportion with the 3,4 and 5th floor windows above them, mainly because more of the second floor is hidden behind that clumsy white colonnade.

you also have to remember where this project is. its literally on the edge of Toronto's urban boundary (there are farmers fields 1km away), and is across the street from a Brick and Home Depot.

you also have to remember where this project is. its literally on the edge of Toronto's urban boundary (there are farmers fields 1km away), and is across the street from a Brick and Home Depot.

Sure, but being on the edge of town shouldn't be an excuse for bad architecture. It makes it less visible to many people, but quite a few people will still see it.

They put that thing as far from the street as they could didn't they? You could play a game of football in that setback.

Looking at the renderings, parking is supposed to go between the building and the street for the urban form of a strip mall. That's terrible. Condos shouldn't be built like strip malls; they should be built like buildings in a city forming a streetwall and encouraging walkable communities. It fails. 4/10.

Back