News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Upgrade washer/dryer/toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongnog

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm so excited that it's time for me to pick my finishes and upgrades for my new condo! There are a couple items I'm considering but don't know if it's worth it to have the builder do for me... One is the stacked washer/dryer, the standard one is pretty basic and I would like to upgrade to a front-loading washer. The builder is quoting me between $800-$1600 depending on the model. I'm wondering if this is something I could easily purchase myself after moving in? Only question is what to do with my standard unit, I mean is there a large market for basic stacked washer/dryers? Same goes with the toilet, the builder says I can get an dual-flush toilet for $275. I don't have much plumbing background so I don't know how feasible it would be for me to upgrade that myself. And again, how would I go about selling or even throwing away my standard toilet?

Would love to hear your thoughts guys!

I'm so excited that it's time for me to pick my finishes and upgrades for my new condo! There are a couple items I'm considering but don't know if it's worth it to have the builder do for me... One is the stacked washer/dryer, the standard one is pretty basic and I would like to upgrade to a front-loading washer. The builder is quoting me between $800-$1600 depending on the model. I'm wondering if this is something I could easily purchase myself after moving in? Only question is what to do with my standard unit, I mean is there a large market for basic stacked washer/dryers? Same goes with the toilet, the builder says I can get an dual-flush toilet for $275. I don't have much plumbing background so I don't know how feasible it would be for me to upgrade that myself. And again, how would I go about selling or even throwing away my standard toilet?

Would love to hear your thoughts guys!
I'm weary of builder upgrades...they're a price gouge in most cases.

1600 for washer/dryer? No way

$275 for a dual flush toilet? No way

You can get both for cheaper if you purchased them yourself.

ya I agree, I was hoping more $800-$1000 for the washer/dryer, but I'll see what the model # is for that price range. As for getting these upgraded on my own, have any of you here had any experience with that? I'm curious to know what you did with the old units.

ya I agree, I was hoping more $800-$1000 for the washer/dryer, but I'll see what the model # is for that price range. As for getting these upgraded on my own, have any of you here had any experience with that? I'm curious to know what you did with the old units.

The main determining factor is the model #/size/features ... ask the developer for price and model they are quoting, then do some comparison shopping.

Front loading washer/dryers can vary in price from $1000 to $2500.

dual flush toilets can be bought for $150 to $800 - again it depends on brand name and features, but you will have to take into consideration the added costs of installation.

If you take the builders standard features and upgrade yourself, you can always sell the originals on craigslist, kijiji, or something like that.

One thing I was considering was ease of installation after move-in. For a washer/dryer unit I *think* installation should be easy, but as for a toilet I'm not so sure. What if they didn't tile completely under the toilet, and the new on exposes some of that? Also isn't a toilet installation a "messy" job? Do people actually want to buy a "used" toilet? I've used craigslist and kijiji a lot for buying/selling electronics but never for large appliances.

I'm so excited that it's time for me to pick my finishes and upgrades for my new condo! There are a couple items I'm considering but don't know if it's worth it to have the builder do for me... One is the stacked washer/dryer, the standard one is pretty basic and I would like to upgrade to a front-loading washer.

An option is to ask your developer if they are able to provide you with a "standard appliance credit" in lieu of the appliances. You can then take the credit and apply it towards a better appliance of your choice. Check this link out for more info: http://www.appliancecanada.com/upgrades.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back