671     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 586     0 

Updates to PATH

A

Archivistower

Looking at the PATH map at the City of Toronto website I see that they already make mention of Maple Leaf Square as an addition, and show a potential link to the Four Seasons Centre from two directions. However, Metropolis isn't there, nor is the new Ryerson building, nor the Telus building.

I'd love to talk to the person who updates this map, and find out where the direction to include/not include comes from.

Also interesting to note the future connections through the Opera House to the Hilton and the Sheraton.

The Hilton bars and restaurant got quite a lot of extra business once the FSCPA opened. A link would be useful for operagoing hotel guests.

The map doesn't show the Marriott linked to PATH, but there is a second floor link to Sears ( and therefore PATH ) that can be used when that store is open.

I doubt that drinks and dinners for opera and ballet goers would outweigh the business they'd lose by sacrificing convention space to an underground link to the Opera House, especially as the hotel is already connected to the underground.

Though all the Sheraton would need is a narrow tunnel like the one that leads from King station to Roy Thomson Hall. There's so much dead space in the cavernous basement of the Sheraton as it is, with those huge central banks of washrooms for instance.

Also, I assume Izzy Sharp is still connected to the hotel in some way? A direct link to an opera house named after his company would be logical, if only for promotional and vanity reasons.

The Sheraton would also have to give up a ballroom to make a connection.

I'd be surprised if Izzy Sharp owns part of either the Sheraton or the Hilton (not sure which one you meant). Four Seasons doesn't own many (if any) of the hotels they run now. It's unusual for chain hotels to actually own the property.

I expect you're right. Though didn't the Sheraton Centre used to be the Four Seasons Sheraton or something? I thought there was an Izzy connection, but maybe that was long ago ...

Surely they wouldn't have to give up a whole ballroom for a tunnel about ten feet wide? Couldn't they hold smaller balls in a slightly smaller room, with the tunnel next to it?

doh.gif

When you're a doctor, Ganja, you'll be paid to do it.

Doctors hold small balls? Need they do such things to attract patients?

Anyone can hold small balls. In the 18th century Farinelli and his friends used to hold an annual Eunuch's Ball - though he never told people where they were, so his were impossible to find.

Back