405     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 565     0 

Update on a couple obscure Scarborough Projects

C

Canuck 36

In the Kennedy/Sheppard area, right beside Agincourt Mall there are two projects underway.

A 6-story office building has been topped off. It's located a bit north of the North-West intersection of Kennedy & Sheppard.

The Legends of Tam O'Shanter, a 24-story condo building just further north along Kennedy, is up to the 11th floor.

Also I was at Scarborough Town Centre today and just wanted to mention how sleek and modern the 360 looked.

Thanks for the update, always good to hear from the outer areas of the city.

Few more obscure updates from Scarborough...

1. Recently completed- Phase II of the Chinese Cultural Centre at Sheppard and Markham

CRW_6665.sized.jpg

2. All the signs on the Consilium Place office buildings are now gone... no more State Farm or Telus signs.

3. Grading taking place at Brimley and 401... more big box stores, perhaps?

4. Hoarding is up at the Scarborough Centre eq1 site.

4. Construction around the Stouffville GO corridor between McNicoll and Steeles... a Chinese shopping plaza at Midland and McNicoll, Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church on the other side of the tracks. At Steeles, across from Pacific Mall, Splendid China Tower (a Canadian Tire big-box store now being converted into another massive Chinese mall in the area) has metal frames in place for a Chinese-style facade.

2. All the signs on the Consilium Place office buildings are now gone... no more State Farm or Telus signs.

Deliberate landlord decision? I wonder if that's a first...

3. Grading taking place at Brimley and 401... more big box stores, perhaps?
I recall Loblaws is building the new format Real Canadian Superstore at this location.

Too bad about the signage at Consilium Place, it gave the buidlings and area some corporate identity.

"A 6-story office building has been topped off. It's located a bit north of the North-West intersection of Kennedy & Sheppard."

That site was dormant for years...good to see something finally go up there, although I'd prefer they hold off on future construction around Agincourt Mall until the Sheppard subway is finished :)

"Also I was at Scarborough Town Centre today and just wanted to mention how sleek and modern the 360 looked."

I was actually a bit disappointed by 360...it's not round and it has a large boxy part on the side that acts as a precast parasite. I have to admit, though, that it is impressive in some ways...it looms over Brimley and can seen from very far away. The townhomes are inexcusably awful, though...maybe the worst I've ever seen.

"I recall Loblaws is building the new format Real Canadian Superstore at this location."

They started grading the old State Farm site almost two years ago...they finally got permission to proceed with the construction of the Real Canadian Superstore.

"a Chinese shopping plaza at Midland and McNicoll"

There was supposed to be a Building Box here a few years ago but it was fought and defeated by local NIMBYs. I forget if a Rona is going in or not...there's quite a bit of land. I'd have to check out the size of the Chinese strip mall to be sure. The construction wakes me up some mornings but I rarely see the area in daylight so it's hard to keep up. The farm between the rail line and Kennedy was for sale forever...don't know if it's been sold, either in full or in part (since the farm was split when McNicoll was pushed through c.1995).

"across from Pacific Mall, Splendid China Tower (a Canadian Tire big-box store now being converted into another massive Chinese mall in the area) has metal frames in place for a Chinese-style facade."

Watching this get built every day, I must say the work looks really shoddy so far. It'll be even more craptacular than Market Village, for sure. I'm wondering how they're gonna fit a rail over/underpass here - GO service cannot be improved without it (and at Sheppard, Huntingwood, Finch, McNicoll, Kennedy, Denison, 14th, #7, Kennedy, McCowan, etc....so much for quick and easy GO improvements in this case). It's been about 15 years and still no sign of them actually caring about this part of the city.

"Deliberate landlord decision? I wonder if that's a first..."

I thought State Farm moved to the 905 (not sure about Telus...miketoronto would know).

I'd love to know what will become of the three remaining corners of Brimley & Progress. The SW corner was zoned for multiple condos but was for sale forever (the sign has fallen over and lies rotting). The SE corner might become a big box pad, but hopefully it won't. The NW corner (really, the Schick Court land) once saw a proposal for 7 towers and an office building, but lies fallow now, soaking up the smell of fresh cookies (used to smell like pickles, too, and it will soon smell like cardboard). They desperately need a large library somewhere in STC...the parking lot between the federal building and the YMCA would work, as would the parking lots south of the Bell building and west of the Civic Centre.

Great update!

"a Chinese shopping plaza at Midland and McNicoll"

Is this the NW corner that was a shooting range? I wouldn't mind a RONA there. Since CT closed, it's relatively far to go to get decent tools/home stuff.

"Watching this get built every day, I must say the work looks really shoddy so far. It'll be even more craptacular than Market Village, for sure. I'm wondering how they're gonna fit a rail over/underpass here - GO service cannot be improved without it (and at Sheppard, Huntingwood, Finch, McNicoll, Kennedy, Denison, 14th, #7, Kennedy, McCowan, etc....so much for quick and easy GO improvements in this case). It's been about 15 years and still no sign of them actually caring about this part of the city."

I think I'll have to close my eyes when I go visit my parents. I think I'm going to hate the façade, the size, the shape.

"I thought State Farm moved to the 905 (not sure about Telus...miketoronto would know)."

So are they empty, and slated for some other use, then?

"They desperately need a large library somewhere in STC...the parking lot between the federal building and the YMCA would work, as would the parking lots south of the Bell building and west of the Civic Centre."

I agree with that. How is the TPL doing?

Is this the NW corner that was a shooting range?

You mean a driving range. Yes, though the place might have done pretty well if it was a shooting range! :)

I remember seeing 2 of the Consilium Place towers with Telus signage a short time ago. A few of the news articles regarding the construction of their new tower downtown mention their continued, strong presence in the east (Consilium Place), so the towers are far from empty.

"How is the TPL doing?"

They're thriving...the Woodside branch is the busiest in the city so there'd clearly be demand for a central library 3km south of there.

My mistake...

Just noticed that at least two of the Consilium Towers still have Telus signs.

Sorry! :)

Back