News   Jul 08, 2024
 369     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.1K     13 

Unions!

They dont get 24 weeks of vacation a year. They work a compressed work week, whihc is 70 hours a week. They work the sae as everyone else does. except when others have days off officers are also attending court.

You wanna complain, complain about fire men

A few states are looking at a 4 day work week (10 * 4) for schools to save roughly 3% on operating expenses.

I have no doubt many will be ticked that teachers get 3 day weekends and they don't.

Same thing here.

Toronto has twice the amount of Homicides as Peel does. In NYC they were underpaid for a long time. earlier this year they recieved a new contract. Staring pay is still to low in my books, however they earn a base of 65k but with all the shift differnetials the website says they earn up to 90k.

Toronto has twice the amount of Homicides as Peel does. In NYC they were underpaid for a long time. earlier this year they recieved a new contract. Staring pay is still to low in my books, however they earn a base of 65k but with all the shift differnetials the website says they earn up to 90k.

There's no reason a Toronto officer can't apply for a job in Peel if it's so much less stressful and better paid. The current system is asinine. Just because Peel feels they can afford to pay police at this rate, shouldn't mean we automatically have to. These self-serving notions of "fairness" championed by some unions don't help anyone but them.

There's no reason a Toronto officer can't apply for a job in Peel if it's so much less stressful and better paid. The current system is asinine. Just because Peel feels they can afford to pay police at this rate, shouldn't mean we automatically have to. These self-serving notions of "fairness" championed by some unions don't help anyone but them.

I think your missing the point. Why should officers have to do that. All Toronto officers should be paid a little more then Peel. Higher work load, Popn, crime, etc... So what your saying is all Toronto coppers should go to Peel. Obviously that can't happen. The government needs to step up and help with the cost. Toronto Police budget looks after Police, parking enforcement, and courts. That is huge. Court Services has over 600 officers which would be equivalent to the 12 largest force in Ontario. The province needs to step up, which they are finally doing but not for another 12 years according to their plan.

Last edited:
I think your missing the point. Why should officers have to do that. All Toronto officers should be paid a little more then Peel.

Because the point of the government, and government run services, isn't to support workers. It is to deliver services to the population. If Peel wants to pay it's officers more, fine. More policeman can go work there, and reducing the pool for Toronto to recruit from. If Mississauga does indeed pay more, than inevitably Toronto would start to approximate Peel wages. There is a difference between functioning labor markets and a police union monopolizing police labor and dictating to Torontonians what they want to be payed. It is just a tax on government, which gets passed on to taxpayers. If the market value of police labor is naturally higher in Toronto, due to population or increased crime or whatever, then wages will reflect that.

Because the point of the government, and government run services, isn't to support workers. It is to deliver services to the population. If Peel wants to pay it's officers more, fine. More policeman can go work there, and reducing the pool for Toronto to recruit from. If Mississauga does indeed pay more, than inevitably Toronto would start to approximate Peel wages. There is a difference between functioning labor markets and a police union monopolizing police labor and dictating to Torontonians what they want to be payed. It is just a tax on government, which gets passed on to taxpayers. If the market value of police labor is naturally higher in Toronto, due to population or increased crime or whatever, then wages will reflect that.

The city is supporting government run services, i.e. court costs, transporting prisoners, feeding prisoners etc. That in itself costs an arm and a leg. The province finally agreed to reduce some of the burden from the city over the next 10-12 years.

The point about Toronto cops going to work in Peel is not valid. Peel only needs so many officers.. My point reflects on your last sentence.

The market value for Police labour is higher in Toronto and the wages don't reflect that. That is what Dave Wilson is fighting for, for the members.

Actually, Mississauga alone has 600-700 thou today, if not a titch beyond by now. Peel Region at large is edging in on twice that number...

Toronto has twice the amount of Homicides as Peel does.

So what? what percentage of police work on homicide cases? Do you think police should get paid per murder?

I think your missing the point. Why should officers have to do that

Because that's what people outside of ultra-powerful public unions have to do, and they don't complain.
Again, with the self-serving notions of "fairness". Fair does not mean "really, really easy" or "require nothing form us", like no negotiations with your employer to get greater benefits, or no extra effort to get a huge raise, or performance based pay...etc.

Peel has 1.2 million

around 700k in Mississauga

450k in Brampton and 50k in Caldeon

Saying Toronto police should get paid more than Peel police is like saying Toronto bus drivers should get paid more than Mississauga and Brampton bus drivers. If anything, wages should be decreased consdiering the current economic climate.

I never said that because Toronto has more Homicides thay should be paid more. They should be paid more because of the work load.

Private corporations give their employees increases that the public sector hands to their members.

So what? what percentage of police work on homicide cases? Do you think police should get paid per murder?

Because that's what people outside of ultra-powerful public unions have to do, and they don't complain.
Again, with the self-serving notions of "fairness". Fair does not mean "really, really easy" or "require nothing form us", like no negotiations with your employer to get greater benefits, or no extra effort to get a huge raise, or performance based pay...etc.

Back