News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.8K     3 

Unhappy Ontario PCs push to oust Tory

Did he really though?

Few political leaders on the the PC or Liberal side of things win their first election. Moreover, Mike Harris was still extremely popular in almost all parts of Ontario in 1999 (save Toronto, Windsor, Hamilton and parts of the north). Despite a hope by many that McGuinty could topple the Harrisites that year, I don't think anyone of any political credibility expected him to actually do so.

I recall that his arguments in the leader's debates weren't as clear and he was criticized for appearing uneasy in the media. His first effort wasn't by any means a spectacular failure to the tune of John Tory's recent effort. No one "of any political credibility" expected him to win, but who was very confident that he would go on to win two majority elections?

Based on his record, Tory should have generated great concern for the Liberals - who seemed to be sleep-walking at the time. What is so odd then is that Tory made such a colossal misjudgment when it came to what issue to run on. It's still rather perplexing. Nevertheless, he deserved to lose on the basis of his chosen election issues, imo.

As others have said, mr Tory seems like a bright, compassionate likeable guy. On the face of it anyway. In reality, he's never worked for anything a day in his life and is so far out of touch with reality it int even funny.

The problem isn't with his policy of funding religious schools, the problem is his judgement (or lack thereof). He repeatedly went against his own party's wishes and showed himself too stubborn for his own good in setting his party's policies. Keep in mind this is also the same guy who ran the most incompetent federal election campaign in the history of Canada (Kim Campbell's).

Debunking the myths about Tory's leadership
Jan 31, 2008 04:30 AM
Rueben Devlin

In the four weeks since a dedicated group of Progressive Conservative party members launched Grassroots PC, I've heard from a huge number of people across this province.

Many people have told me that for the good of the party and to win the next election, John Tory simply has got to go. I agree.

Other people have told me that they would like Tory to stay on as leader. Fair enough. But I've also noticed that when people tell me this, I usually hear one of five main reasons. So I'd like to take a moment and respond to each one.

Myth No. 1: There is no one else available to be Progressive Conservative party leader.

Fact: The PC Party of Ontario is a great party with a strong winning tradition. There is no shortage of new and experienced leaders out there who will seek our party leadership if there was a leadership election. Remember, people don't just jump on the playing field – they wait for the game to actually be scheduled.

On Jan. 21, Grassroots PC released a list of 50 people who would be excellent candidates to replace Tory.

We believe that a leadership race would reinvigorate supporters and attract many new supporters to our party. A new leader will take us to victory in 2011 the way Tory simply hasn't and never will.

Myth No. 2: Tory is a nice guy.

Fact: He may be a nice guy, but Tory has proven time and time again that he is incapable of providing the leadership needed to win an election. There are lots of other nice people out there to consider – nice people who can actually take this party to victory in 2011.

Myth No. 3: Tory should be leader because he is a good fundraiser.

Fact: What Tory does not understand is that leadership means a great deal more than just focusing on fundraising. And while he may have raised funds as leader, all of those resources were wasted on running one of the worst campaigns in recent memory – a campaign that resulted in our devastating defeat.

With a new leader, I know our party can generate the funds we need to pay off our new debt and win the next election. After all, winners know how to get the whole job done.

Myth No. 4: The PC party lost the last election because of one issue.

Fact: The PC Party of Ontario lost the last election because Tory was our leader. Our party was not ready for the election and we ran a failed central campaign from start to finish. The voters felt in their hearts that Tory did not get their day-to-day concerns and that his principles were flexible. That, in a nutshell, is why we lost the last election.

Myth No. 5: Tory deserves a second chance just like Mike Harris, Stephen Harper and even Dalton McGuinty.

Fact: The PC party finished the 2007 general election campaign with a lower level of support than 2003. We finished fourth in some ridings. Tory didn't even win the seat he contested in Toronto.

Let's be clear about people who earned the right to a second chance. Despite losing their first election campaigns as leader, Harris, Harper and McGuinty all took their parties forward in popular vote and seats. The PC Party of Ontario lost ground under Tory. We're actually going backwards.

I believe, as do an increasing number of party members, that we will do even worse in 2011 if Tory stays on as leader. We can't afford another defeat. And that is why I'm voting Yes to a change in leadership.

Rueben Devlin is spokesperson for Grassroots PC. He has been a member of the executive of the PC Party of Ontario for the past 13 years and was president from 1998 to 2002.

PC try being urban and Urban people just laughed and while the Liberals stole some of thier rural seats... :rolleyes:

Tory. What a name and family. The 21st century Ontario equivalent

of the Family Compact. His old man was friends with Thomson and Ted Rogers. How do you think he got the job at Rogers?

All WASP old school priviledge.

Ontario deserves better than even Tory as a CHOICE.

And yeah, wtf was he thinking?

Because Tory was born "WASP old school privilege" he's automatically a bad choice? I hope I've misunderstood.

Because Tory was born "WASP old school privilege" he's automatically a bad choice? I hope I've misunderstood.

No, not automatically. PROVEN to be a bad choice. Sorry that it came out that way. I know a few WASPs of privelidge and even leisure.:) (Kidding now).

Yeah, so his name is John Tory. Then Howie Hampton should rename himself "Nikolai Commie"

So will Tory remain seatless? If not, what GTA PC riding could he run in? Dufferin-Caledon would be a problem because he already "used" it before. Thornhill would also be problematic because it's likely the PC's narrowly won the riding because of the school funding policy and now it's been abandoned. Would Frank Klees step aside in Newmarket-Aurora? Ted Chudleigh in Halton?

What about Elizabeth Witmer in Waterloo? The riding would be a good fit for him, and she's a strong supporter. She could run federally, though it'd be a tough fight to defeat the popular Liberal incumbent.

I don't think having a Torontonian running outside of the GTA because he desperately wants a seat will go over well. Besides Waterloo is also a Liberal-held seat federally, and Elizabeth Witmer enjoys much personal popularity.

I mentioned that it's Liberal-held federally, but I still think it's a possible move for her. My instinct, though, is that she'd probably lose to the popular incumbent, though it would be close. Waterloo would be a great fit for him. It's exactly the kind of region that he has to win. It's a prosperous city filled with high-tech businesses and big universities. It also gets away from the Toronto-centric problem that Tory was facing among much of the PC base. It suits him far better than a place like Dufferin-Caledon. It's just a possibility. I don't think it's too likely.

You're referring to Andrew Telegdi? I don't think Witmer could unseat him. The riding is heavily dominated by students, and that's one demographic that doesn't have much support for Harper.

Kitchener-Waterloo riding is hardly "dominated" by students; I'd be surprised if they're more than 10 percent of the electorate there. Still, it's a pretty safe Liberal riding, and even if the Conservatives pick up more seats in Ontario, this is unlikely to be one of them.

The riding has perhaps 35,000 students residing in it (outside of summer, anyway). No one is going to win the riding without making inroad in that demographic.

Back