News   May 09, 2024
 827     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 553     0 

Ultra Light Rail Claims Lower Risk and Lower Cost than Traditional Light Rail

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is new technology that could have merit as a cheaper more reliable alternative to LRT. They sure make a thorough descriptive sales pitch

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail...sk-and-lower-cost-than-traditional-light-rail

article_mass_transit_mag_ulrv_210213.6046df19a69ab.png

The only application for this "ultra light rail" would be solely to skirt around some road safety regulations that effectively prohibit bi-articulated buses from being deployed iirc.

The company behind it seems eager to test it on the Orangeville-Brampton Railway, which I would honestly love to see. I don't see the point in laying down any new rail for such an infant and niche technology, though. Not yet.

So what's the difference between this and that guided bus thing in China? Feels like at least conceptually, they're basically the same.
This is basically trackless tram, but more expensive/less flexible (need to install rail). You could achieve the same thing with guided bus, either using painted lines, or if you don't trust that, magnetic beacons embedded in the roadway every few meters. Actually, with trackless trams, you can mitigate the concentrated road wear from very precise guidance on a roadway but programming some intentional deviation to spread out wear.

yea....honestly this is wishful thinking especially in this climate. just screaming lawsuit from any bikers who somehow get caught in those troughs

yea....honestly this is wishful thinking especially in this climate. just screaming lawsuit from any bikers who somehow get caught in those troughs
I never thought of suing the TTC for getting caught in a streetcar track. Heard of a success with that?

Back