Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
The biggest head-turner of all (besides Palin;)) has been the shift in female voters since Palin was named to the ticket. Before the Democratic convention in late August, The Washington Post/ABC News poll showed Obama with an 8-point lead among white women, 50% to 42%. Now McCain has that lead, and it's by 12 percentage points: 53 to 41. 67% of this group views Palin favorably.

Obama must be looking back and thinking: Should I have picked Hillary for VP?

I think Palin is a lot closer to the surburban mom crowd in mentality than most people think. Though I do expect some movement back as people begin to understand her views.....

Palin is everything not needed in an executive.

Cocky
With me or against me attitude
Seeks revenge for people she doesn't agree with
Has a moral code that doesn't separate religious beliefs from public action
Has moral absolutist evil/good view of most issues
Intellectually non-curious

The last one is particularly troublesome.

Joe Bageant "Redneck" observations...

Adma: Good article written by Joe Pageant on "Redneck America" and I will second RS thoughts on the last two sentences-spoken exactly how I feel - that the thought of Sarah Palin being just a heartbeat away from the White House has me worried also...LI MIKE

Boy, in those current subway ads for Law & Order, Mariska Hargitay sure's got that Palin-without-glasses look...

I think Democrats will be looking back and thinking we should have picked Hillary for Prez and Obama for VP.

LOL

You think Democrats will??

Obama was nominated by non-Democratic voters in primaries and caucuses nationwide. Wherever there was a state with a closed primary where only Democrats were allowed to nominate party leaders, Hillary won every time.

Democrats at the base supported Hillary for President, the party leadership wanted Hillary, and its only because of the caucus and open primary system that Obama ever had a chance.

Republicans came out in droves and voted for Obama in states where they were allowed to participate in the Democratic primary. Obama won non-Democratic states from Georgia to Kansas to Wyoming.

There's a lot of complexity in the US political system that even most Americans don't get.

Only in America do state laws allow for non-party members and opposition parties to vote in caucuses or primaries to choose the nomination of party leadership. It kind of makes the political party useless.

Study up on responsible vs non-responsible parties. Its a lesson my college professors hounded in me and its proven a valuable lesson.

The reason Hillary won states like Pennsylvania so much isn't just because its a traditionally Democratic state, its because in states like PA and Massachusetts, its a closed primary. You must be a registered Democrat and you must be a Democratic voter to be eligible to vote in a Democratic primary.

In many states it doesn't matter, and in those states Obama won with help from Republicans who voted in Democratic primaries.

I'm sure Canadian Liberals wouldn't like registered Conservative delegates showing up at a Liberal convention to help choose Liberal leadership. Essentially that's what is happening in the USA in regards to its political system, and its the way its always been.

Back