News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 644     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 969     0 

U of T: Rotman Expansion/Ctr for Jurisdictional Advantage and Prosperity (KPMB)

This is going to be quite a striking building, especially at night. Most building along St. George are set back quite a bit and are quite insular. It's nice to see something transparent that comes right out to the street.

rotmand26.jpg

Last edited:
I walk by this project multiple times daily... still not sure about the appropriateness of the scale of the project (from Devonshire it looks as if it is swallowing Massey College), but the northern stretch of St. George could use more interesting modern + heritage architecture like this (and Max Gluskin House) to offset the few horribles in between that really do not belong on a campus of UofT's architectural calibre.... the main Rotman building, anyone?

I walk by this project multiple times daily... still not sure about the appropriateness of the scale of the project (from Devonshire it looks as if it is swallowing Massey College), but the northern stretch of St. George could use more interesting modern + heritage architecture like this (and Max Gluskin House) to offset the few horribles in between that really do not belong on a campus of UofT's architectural calibre.... the main Rotman building, anyone?

I'm a fan of the existing Rotman building with its stone, aged brick, and slate blue cladding that neighbours this expansion. It fuses traditional elements with an angular aesthetic that comes short of stunning, but is nonetheless satisfying in its experimental approach. However, both it and the building with residences that neighbourhoods it to the north--the latter characterized at street level by a strange metal arch at the doorway--seemed to have aspired to be edgy and groundbreaking yet overtly seem to miss the mark every time I walk by.

Back