News   Sep 26, 2024
 903     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 610     0 

TVOntario to cancel Studio 2

D

Darkstar416

Studio 2 was the only show I regularly watched on TVO. :(

I have a hard time believing The Agenda will be as hard-hitting. Not sure why they needed to mess with something that was both topical, popular and gave viewers a sense of a pan-Ontario identity.

TVOntario to cancel Studio 2

Last Updated Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:41:49 EDT
CBC Arts

Big changes are coming at TVOntario, Ontario's public broadcaster, including cancellation of its flagship current affairs show Studio 2.

Education Minister Sandra Pupatello announced new money on Thursday for the network, which broadcasts in English and French.

It will get an additional $7.5 million in operating funding for each of the next two years and $10 million in capital costs.

That money will help upgrade the broadcaster from analogue to digital technology and restructure its relationship with French broadcaster TFO.

Later in the day, staff at the network heard from chief executive Lisa de Wilde about some changes in programming, including the cancellation of Studio 2.

The popular show, hosted by Steve Paikin and Paula Todd, is a mix of interviews and features based on the daily news. The final Studio 2 airs Friday.

Studio 2 was forum for opponents

Ontario Conservative Leader John Tory was critical of the cancellation. The Liberals didn't like the forum the show provided to its opponents, he told CBC Radio.

"While some of the programming they're proposing to do may well be welcome, I'm sure the government felt discomfort from time to time, perhaps as often as every night, with the outspoken commentary and the panel discussions they had on TVOntario, and so it's too bad that that program is disappearing," Tory said.

It will be replaced by another program, The Agenda with Steve Paikin, starting next fall.

"It’s a little difficult to feel shortchanged today,†Paikin said after the announcement.

"The show had a great run — it lasted longer than (CBC news show) The Journal. So I’m proud of everything that we all accomplished doing Studio 2, but we’ve got a new challenge ahead of us now and we’re going to do the best damn job we can on it."

TVO is adding 13 hours of children's programming a week, but cancelling teen talk show Vox and daily lifestyle program, More to Life.

Long-running Saturday Night at the Movies, which had been rumoured to be on the cutting block, will remain in the schedule.

Employees also were told there would be no job losses for the next two years.

Return to educational programming

The McGuinty government wants TVOntario to return to its roots as an education channel for children and adult learners.

"We are overhauling it to align with our educational priorities," Pupatello said.

The French network, TFO, will operate independently.

"That network has been much more than educational — it's provided the news and enhanced the culture of that community, too," she said.

And the network will move from analogue to digital formats, and explore new online and streaming technologies. One of the investments it's expected to make is in digital cameras and technology to replace aging equipment.

The revamp follows a strategic review of the broadcaster done last fall at the request of the Ontario government.

The review asked the TVO board to ensure the government is getting full value for its $58.8 million funding of TVOntario, and that its activities align with the province's education priorities.

Copyright ©2006 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

Gah! Why!!!!! CBC cancels This is Wonderland and now TVO cancels Studio 2; WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WORLD!!!!

Returning to my more relatively normal state, I really regret them making this decision as the formula for Studio 2 was absolutely perfect with the right mix of politics, general interest and unique musical acts. I'm not sure I have a reason to donate to TVO anymore, except maybe for A View From Here.

WHAT?

I have to agree with gboykovekin; I'm not sure anymore about having a reason to donate to TVO either. Studio Two is excellent.

(but I probably will).

Studio 2 is the ONLY thing I watch on TVO. It is a show that just gets it right.

There is an article on the Star website suggesting that advertising is down the road at TVO, too.

Ouch.

Perhaps the new show planned will keep all of the best parts of Studio 2. Maybe this is a way of essentially keeping Studio 2 and getting rid of Paula Todd.

They're keeping Saturday Night At The Movies, thankgodfully.

^ I basically stopped watching it when Elwy Yost left. They seem to repeat the same movies over and over and over now.

The series of interviews that SNATM has compiled over the years are a national treasure.

I thought it was having a good run over the last few weeks - where else will you see in depth analysis of the power plan and an interview with Ricky Williams by the same guy?

The martial arts guy in Kitchener was pretty cool too.

this is a travesty. Studio 2 is the best public affairs programme in Canada and I really can't believe they are cancelling. This was the main reason I became a member of the TVO and I will now review this decision.

^Email and complain. I have. I am expecting to be interviewed by Paula Todd very soon.

I don't know, I've always thought that Paula Todd was a pretty good interviewer. How Larry King can stay on the air for 500 years while Paula basically gets fired is a mystery.

Then again, watching Larry ask Celine Dion to sing a song after her weepy angst-ridden blubberings about the the victims of hurricane Katrina was pure squirm-inducing entertainment.

I have no issue with Paula Todd as an interviewer. The thing that annoys me is that she is under-utilized in the Person2Person format.

Back