Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

RER is in the works and it's a Metrolinx project so that's out.

Wasn't there a proposal a while back to extend the 502/503 to Birchmount? If that is the case, why build a busway?

Is Jane really more valuable than a Sheppard West line? The Jane bus seems to do well as is, and there aren't missing connections up there; you have Eglinton and finch west as alternatives. Jane only increases capacity. Don't get me wrong, it should be built, but that over a subway line that might make Yonge Line operations much more efficient?

Yonge North isn't a city of Toronto project, and although it will bring in high usage, it will seriously f*** up the Yonge line, even with a fully built DRL.

The original question was about rapid transit expansion (subways, grade separated LRT, ICTS, etc). Of course, there will be little projects that can more easily have better returns for value, but every megaproject isn't going to have high returns of value in the short term.
Jane will be seriously altered with the Spadina subway extension and the Eglinton LRT.
Will some northern riders head up to Pioneer Village Station?
Will some transfer at Mount Dennis?
New numbers on Jane will help determine its priority. The same thing goes for Finch West. The trip is now 4km shorter to a subway. There is also the option for those on major north-south routes (Kipling, Islington, etc.) of heading down to ECLRT instead of transferring onto Finch.

Yonge North isn't a city of Toronto project, and although it will bring in high usage, it will seriously f*** up the Yonge line, even with a fully built DRL.

Even after DRL? Under what conditions would you accept this extension? When there was a fourth north-south line built?

I'm still amazed at the argument that we shouldn't build this extension because demand is too high. I'm in agreement with the Tory-York Region idea of building this and DRL at the same time.

When the Relief Line North is built.

Well, the quote being referenced says:

Which implies the Relief Line North, South, AND West is still insufficient capacity for Yonge to be extended.

Even after DRL? Under what conditions would you accept this extension? When there was a fourth north-south line built?

And that line would either be a Jane or McCowan subway to Highway 7, then Yonge can finally be extended to Highway 7. Even though both will have little to no impact on the Yonge Line compared Spadina and Don Mills. o_O

Last edited:
After we install platform screen doors on the yonge line. It's a matter of safety in my eyes and not crowding. I don't care if I have to wait for 2 trains to pass if they come at frequencies of every minute and there are platform screen doors to prevent someone from getting pushed. Relief can come by rerouting trains via Sheppard west, which can reduce crowding on the yonge line.

From link:

The planned Yonge Subway Extension will extend 7.4 kilometres north from Finch Station to Highway 7. This critical rapid transit link will include five stations at Cummer/Drewry, Steeles, Clark, Langstaff/Longbridge and Richmond Hill Centre. Intermodal terminals will be located at Steeles Station and at Richmond Hill Centre Station, and 2,000 commuter parking spaces will be near Langstaff/Longbridge Station.

Cummer/Drewry Station is within the City of Toronto. Steeles Station is on the north border of the City of Toronto with the Region of York. Clark, Langstaff/Longbridge, and Richmond Hill Centre Stations are within the Region of York. So two of the stations would be Toronto projects.

From link:

Cummer/Drewry Station is within the City of Toronto. Steeles Station is on the north border of the City of Toronto with the Region of York. Clark, Langstaff/Longbridge, and Richmond Hill Centre Stations are within the Region of York. So two of the stations would be Toronto projects.

The TTC and the City of Toronto don't want this line to be built. It is York Region that is pushing for it. You have Cummer station, fine, that's in Toronto. However, Toronto will not pay for it, and they will not pay for the maintenance of the line within Toronto.

After we install platform screen doors on the yonge line. It's a matter of safety in my eyes and not crowding. I don't care if I have to wait for 2 trains to pass if they come at frequencies of every minute and there are platform screen doors to prevent someone from getting pushed. Relief can come by rerouting trains via Sheppard west, which can reduce crowding on the yonge line.

Platform doors also mean that the Yonge line could skip certain stations if there is bunching (Rosedale)

I'm still amazed at the argument that we shouldn't build this extension because demand is too high. I'm in agreement with the Tory-York Region idea of building this and DRL at the same time.

When the Relief Line North is built.

YN needs to be built, but, only when DRL reaches Sheppard will there be enough capacity on Yonge to make it work.

The TTC and the City of Toronto don't want this line to be built. It is York Region that is pushing for it. You have Cummer station, fine, that's in Toronto. However, Toronto will not pay for it, and they will not pay for the maintenance of the line within Toronto.

If Yonge north is done the same way as the TYSSE, Toronto will pay for the capital costs of the parts of the line within Toronto, absorb cost overruns on the same pro-rated basis, and then pay for operation and maintenance for the entire line, including the part outside of Toronto.

If Yonge north is done the same way as the TYSSE, Toronto will pay for the capital costs of the parts of the line within Toronto, absorb cost overruns on the same pro-rated basis, and then pay for operation and maintenance for the entire line, including the part outside of Toronto.

I remember reading that the TYSSE process would not occur for Yonge North. Since there's no incentive to extend that line at all in toronto (While there was for the TYSSE because of YU), they won't pay for anything, even the stations in toronto.

I remember reading that the TYSSE process would not occur for Yonge North. Since there's no incentive to extend that line at all in toronto (While there was for the TYSSE because of YU), they won't pay for anything, even the stations in toronto.
Getting at least a 2 stop extension to Steeles is definitely important for the City of Toronto, as it will remove a lot of buses from Yonge Street between Steeles and Finch.

Getting at least a 2 stop extension to Steeles is definitely important for the City of Toronto, as it will remove a lot of buses from Yonge Street between Steeles and Finch.

It would ge nice to have, but I don’t believe for a second that Toronto would have ever built a two stop extension, if not for York requesting it.

Plenty of Toronto citizens would love to see all those buses come off of Yonge south of Steeles. I'm one of them.

YN needs to be built, but, only when DRL reaches Sheppard will there be enough capacity on Yonge to make it work.

Just because a subway line isn't extended north doesn't suddenly eliminate people from using the subway via Finch. Right now there's no better way to get downtown during the peak hour than to drive to Finch and take the subway. On the other hand, it's way easier to drive to Sheppard or Finch. The subway would eliminate the overwhelming amount of buses on Yonge Street (that are all packed to the brim btw) and provide more opportunities for medium-distance trips. There will ofcourse be some latent demand that gets added to go downtown, but the reality is that most people going downtown are already doing so via GO or by car is they're north of Hwy 7, and already doing so via the subway if they're south of Hwy 7. I think this fear about overcrowding has more to do with land use than the mere act of extending the line (IMO). We need more jobs along the corridor rather than intensely focused in a few pockets. Beyond North York Centre, St. Clair and South of Bloor the rest of the Yonge Line is overwhelmingly residential requiring people to basically take up space for longer distances.

Back