News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

TTC: Worst TTC Routes

W

wyliepoon

Link

Voices: Worst TTC routes
Jan. 28, 2006. 12:00 PM

We asked if you have problems on a specific TTC route. Here’s what you had to say:

The 60 Steeles West is the most frustrating line in the entire city. Between the terrible road conditions by Yonge and the lack of buses going to York University, heading to school in the morning is always stressful.
Kathryn Sheridan, North York, Jan. 28

Leaside 56 service is abysmal any time outside of rush hour. This is the only route that connects East York with North Toronto (across the Don Valley). Otherwise, riders have to take a loooong detour around the subway line.
Geoff Moulton,Toronto - East York, Jan. 28

Living in the Beaches and working in the west end is a nightmare - catching any eastbound Queen streetcar one runs about a 50/50 chance that it will be diverted up Kingston Road, regardless of whether it is full or empty, regardless of foul whether and regardless of what the sign says.
Geordie Telfer,Toronto, Jan. 28

The Scarborough RT line is horrible in the morning rush. There are bad delays every week due to mechanical problems and the crowds who want on are double the capacity of the tiny train. People push and shove, even threaten you with violence.
Richard Maaranen,Scarborough, Jan. 28

Bus route 60 (Steeles West). Long waits, old crowded buses, rude operators, it is worse than a third world country's bus service. Other notable mentions are the 506 streetcar on College Street for long waits and overcrowding and route 97 on Yonge street for unreliability.
Sri Raj,Toronto, Jan. 28

The Brimley 21 route poses a problem for me in the evenings because the last northbound bus leaves Scarborough Town Centre at 11:20 pm. If I am arriving at Scarborough Town centre later than this the only way for me to arrive home is by taking the McCowan bus north. This leaves me with a treacherous walk across the dark and unsafe Goldhawk Park to arrive at my door.
Michelle Hilscher, Scarborough, Jan. 28

The Steeles West bus out of Finch station is one of the worst. During peak hours it is always standing room only, nose to armpit. This applies in both directions. I don't understand why there is no express bus on this route for those travelling longer distances. A typical run between Jane and Finch station takes anywhere between 30-50 minutes.
Scott Snider, Toronto, Jan. 28

The Scarborough RT line is horrible in the morning rush.

I don't find the SRT to be too bad in the morning. I think the mechanical problems on the SRT this winter to be less frequent than in the past, so the TTC must be doing something right. "Pushing and shoving" happens in the morning, but it's only in the afternoon rush when things really get ugly. People on the SRT are so anxious to catch their buses at Scarborough Centre that they are willing to get out of their seats before the train arrives at Midland Station (and for the really hard-core, Ellesmere Station) and jostle for positions at the train doors. If you want to see a Scarborough version of the "running of the bulls", just go to Scarborough Centre every afternoon rush and you'll see one every 2 or 3 minutes.

This leaves me with a treacherous walk across the dark and unsafe Goldhawk Park to arrive at my door.

Aww... c'mon. Is Goldhawk Park really that unsafe?

My nomination for the worst TTC route has to be the route I take almost every day... 129 McCowan North. It's probably the most used bus route in north Scarborough, but it's always stuck with old GM Fishbowl buses. It has the longest line-ups of any route at Scarborough Centre station.

"It's probably the most used bus route in north Scarborough, but it's always stuck with old GM Fishbowl buses."

Well, that would be why it's stuck with Fishbowl buses.

True. Would you rather have them serviced with Orion VIIs?

(Or Orion VIs? :evil )

I'll miss the New Looks.

Naw, I wouldn't want the new Orion VIIs on McCowan either (though it seems inevitable that they will). Occasionally my route also gets Orion VIs, and I think they're quite decent. Also forgot to mention that McCowan North also has a lot of old Flyer buses, which in some ways I think are even worse than the Fishbowls.

(I'm looking at Transit Toronto bus photos while I'm writing this cause I know little about bus models)

The 54 is my pick. Stupidly long, stupidly slow, not as crowded as other routes because only the insane or the desperate take it.

"The Brimley 21 route poses a problem for me in the evenings because the last northbound bus leaves Scarborough Town Centre at 11:20 pm. If I am arriving at Scarborough Town centre later than this the only way for me to arrive home is by taking the McCowan bus north. This leaves me with a treacherous walk across the dark and unsafe Goldhawk Park to arrive at my door."

I second that, word for word. I've started coming home via Finch station because the evening/night service is bad. She should have added that the previous bus leaves at 10:20 - a whole hour wait. Meanwhile, they run 21As up to STC every 30 minutes until 1:15am. They are meant to double the RT route but since the RT is empty that late and that stretch of Brimley is a ghost town, the buses are always completely empty. Put these buses on Brimley north of STC, run the route north of Steeles to grab more riders and the cost/revenue ratio will go way up.

"Aww... c'mon. Is Goldhawk Park really that unsafe?"

Kinda. It's massive, mostly unlit, and gangs have been on the rise in the area.

"The Scarborough RT line is horrible in the morning rush."

In the last car, the one closest to the escalator, yes. In all other cars, no - you can always find a seat, always, always, always. So many people just avoid the RT that it frees up lots of room.

"129 McCowan North. It's probably the most used bus route in north Scarborough, but it's always stuck with old GM Fishbowl buses. It has the longest line-ups of any route at Scarborough Centre station."

In the time it takes one bus to drive away and the next to pull into the bay, a new crowd has formed. For a route that short (some go north of Steeles, though), the crowds are pretty big. The buses they run on McCowan make my physically ill because they vibrate so much, it's like a public version of Dr. Ho's muscle relaxer.

I've never taken any of those routes but the worst one I've been to was the 117 Alness bus when I was working at Dufferin & Steeles during the summer of 2003. Getting to work wasn't that bad but getting to Downsview station at 5 PM was always a bitch. It would take 25-30 mins since Dufferin St was a parking lot going south from Steeles to Finch Ave and needless to say that the bus would be packed over capacity. The funny thing is that as soon as you passed Finch, the road would clear.

The 54 is my pick. Stupidly long, stupidly slow, not as crowded as other routes because only the insane or the desperate take it.
I take it everyday, but just to Don Mills. It's reliable (once off the over-busy Eglinton portion of the route) and is serviced by a combination of busses (although increasingly the new Orion's). Service is about every fives minutes for much of the day. It's crowded, but not crazy (unless school has just gotten out). Still, I think if I had to take it into the depths of Scarborough I'd view the route as extremely long and extremely slow.

^ It would take 30-45 minutes for me to get from Eglinton station to just east of the DVP (Railside) on the 54 most mornings, or 20-45 minutes (wild variability) to get to the same spot from Lawrence East RT station. On the portion that overlaps the Eglinton (and others) route, I think I was just unlucky because it can get really dragged down by traffic and if tons of people use the 54 as a regular Eglinton bus - there really should be an express option.

Indeed, I've wondered why the 54 Lawrence doesn't run express until (at least) Leslie (and then provide a local service to Starspray).

I work at Lawrence & Railside and find it takes me about 35 minutes to get from Eglinton Station to Railside (but I head to work around 1:00pm, far removed from any "rush hour"). It once took me an hour, but it's usually about 30-40 minutes. On traffic-reduced Sundays it's often 25 minutes.

"Indeed, I've wondered why the 54 Lawrence doesn't run express until (at least) Leslie (and then provide a local service to Starspray)."

Because people living in Leaside desperately need 6 overlapping bus routes to choose from? No wonder the actual Eglinton East route only gets about 24,000 riders a day.

When I worked at Eglinton & Bayview I quite liked how I had three choices of bus to take (including the 54) --- though I got off before things got tedious.

Though, I'm remembering how much I hated that bus ride. So crowded at 8:15am. All these pungent, damp shampooed heads. In the winter the busses would be so hot, not taking into account we were all wearing winter coats.

"Because people living in Leaside desperately need 6 overlapping bus routes to choose from?"

It's actually 5, but what's the difference. Both a DRL up Don Mills or an Eglinton East subway would eliminate multiple overlapping routes.

The Don Mills 25 bus is always so packed, especially with the mobs of loud, rude, school kids that it's torturous!

Living in the Beaches and working in the west end is a nightmare - catching any eastbound Queen streetcar one runs about a 50/50 chance that it will be diverted up Kingston Road, regardless of whether it is full or empty, regardless of foul whether and regardless of what the sign says.
I've taken this streetcar and also noticed that they do not follow the sign on the front; if it says Neville Park, so you get on, they'll change the sign later, after you've got on.

I've taken this streetcar and also noticed that they do not follow the sign on the front; if it says Neville Park, so you get on, they'll change the sign later, after you've got on.
Although, they usually do announce if the car is being short-turned.

Back