News   May 06, 2024
 756     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 600     1 

TTC Token and Pass Vendors Hard to Find

calimehtar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that it's often very difficult to find a place to buy tokens and passes outside of subway stops? The corner store where I used to buy them, near Queen and Dufferin, stopped carrying them months ago. If I keep walking towards Yonge St. I have to go as far as Bathurst to find a place to buy them, and by that time I might as well have walked all the way to my destination.

Why wouldn't any convenience store owner want to carry them? On major transit routes I'd think it would just be a given: if you own a convenience store you sell TTC Tokens.

I asked the man behind the counter at my local convenience store why they stopped selling them. He said that they're obligated to pay with certified cheques for the next 6 months. I didn't ask, but I assume it's a penalty for writing an NSF cheque or something similar. He said because certified cheques are so expensive he can't make a profit selling tokens until the requirement is lifted, so he stopped carrying them. He said something like "the regulations are too strict."

IMO if the TTC wants to encourage use of public transit they need to consider how their regulations are affecting the ability of people to use the system. Clearly they need to change the rules to make it easier for people to carry tokens.

The TTC website does NOT list the vendors. We have to call Customer Information for locations.

This is all they have on the website:
Authorized Ticket Agents

Tickets, tokens and passes are also available at over 1,200 TTC Authorized Ticket Agents in Toronto. For the locations of Authorized Ticket Agents, call Customer Information at 416-393-INFO (4636) and select "0" for Operator Assisted Service - available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily, except statutory holidays

I wonder if arrangements could be made to sell them at city-owned locations such as community centres and library branches. It certainly does not encourage transit use when you can't get tokens conveniently.

We could really use that fare card now. The premise is that the modern card is loadable and spendable at ubiquitous retail establishments, such as Tim Hortons. That would enhance the user experience and make transit more convenient.

Digging up an old thread to complain about token availability again.

7-11 recently refused to sell me more than 5 tokens at once. This is on top of other annoyances I've experienced over the years - a convenience store that would sell me only one token despite obviously having more on hand, another store (it may have also been 7-11, I can't remember for sure) refused to sell tokens if I was paying with credit or debit.

I see no advantage to selling fewer tokens, since the price is the same, and 7-11 is a chain with a reputation to uphold. It seems to be a policy specifically designed to discourage people from buying tokens at 7-11.

I can only guess TTC policies make it either difficult or impossible for businesses to make money selling tokens, and they sell them merely as a courtesy or in the hope of selling something else at the same time.

Seems very odd.

Though things have changed significantly in the 5 years since you originally complained.

It's much easier to complain to TTC about this, with the customer service improvements Fill in the form at https://www.ttc.ca/feedback/serviceComplaintSuggestion.action and they will get back to you (if you ask). Or phone them at 416-393-3030 from 7 AM to 10 PM (including Saturdays and Sundays). Or contact @TTCHelps on twitter.

Also the locations of all the official fare vendors are on line. Go to http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Prices/Buying_tickets_tokens_and_passes.jsp and scroll down to Authorized TTC Fare Media Sellers and there's several ways to access the information. The 7-Eleven's are all listed on the first page of http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Tickets_fares...s_Fare_Media_Sellers_Sorted_by_Store_Name.pdf If yours isn't there, perhaps they are doing something unofficial.

The 7-11 in question is on the official list - 1169 St. Clair Ave. W. I just submitted a complaint about this on the link you provided.

Last edited:
I wonder what their margin is on the tokens. It might be that once you factor in the service fees the retailer has to pay for credit/debit they might be losing money on the transaction. Maybe the TTC could look at installing their token vending machines at locations outside stations. Libraries/community centres would be a great place to start

I assume, as you say, the margin is either too low or zero. However, that is something that the TTC can control - they need to make sure it is in the interest of vendors to actually carry and sell tickets.

I just wish you could buy tokens with credit and debit cards at stations. Some retailers you can, but not all (and many which do will charge you an extra fee to use the machine). I can't help but facepalm when I see the terminals at stations which say "You can now buy your Metropass with your debit card!" Really?!? I'm so glad it is still 1993, otherwise I wouldn't be impressed!

Even though he is about a thousand times better than the current mayor, I really wish Miller had made it a priority to allow token and ticket purchases with credit and debit cards. Instead, they stopped their token machines from accepting $5 bills because they were too popular among passengers and were choking the machines. Now THAT'S customer service... :rolleyes:

Have to agree, it is even worse for bus service. I have wasted countless hours realizing that I had no tokens or exact change befoer I catch the bus. Not wanting to give the TTC more for money for already overpriced fares, I walk to the nearest store that sells tokens. That usually happens to be Shoppers. Some places like York Lanes at York University stop selling tokens at 7pm.

Also, many retailers only take cash for tokens. The Presto card needs to happen sooner than later. Toronto and Philadelphia are the last 2 cities still using tokens.

Last edited:
Have to agree, it is even worse for bus service. I have wasted countless hours realizing that I had no tokens or exact change befoer I catch the bus. Not wanting to give the TTC more for money for already overpriced fares, I walk to the nearest store that sells tokens. That usually happens to be Shoppers. Some places like York Lanes at York University stop selling tokens at 7pm.

Also, many retailers only take cash for tokens. The Presto card needs to happen sooner than later. Toronto and Philadelphia are the last 2 cities still using tokens.

Mississauga has no plans to use the Presto Card for their current fare system until their Authorized Ticket Agents have counter-top machines regardless how much Metrolinx wants them using their system 100%.

I always buy 1 or 2 rolls of tokens to make sure I have them on hand at all times. It also help to beat the fare increase from time to time. The Presto Card will not allow that.

TTC is still in the dark ages when it come to fare media as well transfers, including the automatic entrance. What good is a day pass when you can't use the automatic entrance?

lost tokens

Mississauga has no plans to use the Presto Card for their current fare system until their Authorized Ticket Agents have counter-top machines regardless how much Metrolinx wants them using their system 100%.

I always buy 1 or 2 rolls of tokens to make sure I have them on hand at all times. It also help to beat the fare increase from time to time. The Presto Card will not allow that.

TTC is still in the dark ages when it come to fare media as well transfers, including the automatic entrance. What good is a day pass when you can't use the automatic entrance?

Fare increases are semi-rare events. What I hate the most is losing these tiny tokens. Every lost or misplaced token is up to $3 lost and easy revenue to the TTC for services not rendered.

The stored value cards can usually just stay in your wallet and you just tap to pay. Most people are not as likely to lose their wallet. Toronto can build a condo tower quicker than presto. I think they have their priorities backwards.

I went to Montreal for the 401 Derby(TFC-Impact match) and wanted to buy the Opus farecard to compare it with Presto card. When I bought the $18 three day pass, I received a thick paper card instead of the Opus Card. I was initially disappointed until I used the card ON the tap readers! STUM's Opus system provides disposable passes for tourist that works just like the normal farecard. I do not know much about Opus, but it seems like a well-designed system compared to Presto.

Toronto is way behind in fare media, and fare collection, and presto isn't that much of a step forward if you compare the card to other systems out there.

Back