News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 565     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 856     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

The new 504 arrangement means that customers west of Dufferin ( 504A ) and east of Sumach ( 504B ) get less frequent service in the evenings and midday. I live along Roncesvalles ( 504A ), and the frequency of the new 504A service in that section is not the same as the old through 504, espically during weekday middays and evenings. At the same time though, this focuses service in the downtown, and that there needs to be service to Dufferin and Distillery, which you can't really balance things
And...

Was this a status report, a gentle complaint, or a statement of qualified support for more service in the portion most trafficked?

And...

Was this a status report, a gentle complaint, or a statement of qualified support for more service in the portion most trafficked?

Quite a few of the above. I'm okay with increasing service to the downtown portion, and keeping service to Dufferin and Distillery, but, quite a few people who live east of Sumach and west of Dufferin have recently complained about the service being less frequent, in this thread.

The new 504 arrangement means that customers west of Dufferin ( 504A ) and east of Sumach ( 504B ) get less frequent service in the evenings and midday..
There's less service on those parts of the route in rush-hour as well. Particularly when you remember they already cut service back in 2016 when they first introduced the 514! In PM peak, there's actually even less capacity, and the scheduled gap between cars is now double what it was (going back to say the March 2014 board, before the streetcar shortage and wide-scale bustitution).

There's less service on those parts of the route in rush-hour as well. Particularly when you remember they already cut service back in 2016 when they first introduced the 514! In PM peak, there's actually even less capacity, and the scheduled gap between cars is now double what it was (going back to say the March 2014 board, before the streetcar shortage and wide-scale bustitution).
How is this possible if the service has been improved because of the Kind St transit mall pilot?

This morning's new garbage-tastic 504A/B service at Gerrard/Broadview featured a streetcar in 1 minute, followed by a 2nd in 16 minutes and 3rd in 17. At the peak of commuting rush, of course. There are serious issues with the reliability of this new configuration.
As the 506 I was on missed the 1 minute away streetcar due to a customer *shudder* asking a series of questions to the driver, I stayed on the 506. Most of the rest of the streetcar was unaware so they got off at Broadview and were in for a long wait.

How is this possible if the service has been improved because of the Kind St transit mall pilot?
The King Street mall is only for a relatively short part of the route from Jarvis to Bathurst. And that IS improved. It's actually improved from Parliament to well past Bathurst actually, as there's less traffic there too, knowing they'll have to turn at Jarvis or Bathurst.

It's the service east of Sumach/Cherry (and presumably west of Dufferin) that's had the big service cut, and where all the extra the short-turns are taking place. They've scheduled a lot less cars here - and as far as I can see, despite less cars in total, the number being short-turned is higher! I've seen so many 15-minute gaps on Broadview as I arrive there on a 506 at Gerrard, it's not funny. Believe it or not, the Parliament bus is now more reliable mid-morning!

In the Flexity thread, @drum118 mentioned a future shutdown of the 504 and 501 west of Dufferin. Any more light to shed on that?
April-Nov closure: Roncesvalles/Queen intersection been 100% rebuilt from the ground up with full closure for 6 week, building of the new ROW on the Queens way with full closure as well a block on Queen east of Roncesvalles and on Roncesvalles. Queen & Roncesvalles to see bump out platforms. See this posting

April-Nov closure: Roncesvalles/Queen intersection been 100% rebuilt from the ground up with full closure for 6 week, building of the new ROW on the Queens way with full closure as well a block on Queen east of Roncesvalles and on Roncesvalles. Queen & Roncesvalles to see bump out platforms. See this posting

So, the area is gonna be dead again, just like it was 10 years ago ?

So, the area is gonna be dead again, just like it was 10 years ago ?
What do you expect when the infrastructure has to be built first before TTC can start it work along with better sidewalks?? When do expect to see out dated infrastructure replace as well rebuilding the road system??

Its a fact of life and has to happen on someone watch and life frame.

Its to bad hydro overhead can't be place underground at this time along with cable lines..

What do you expect when the infrastructure has to be built first before TTC can start it work along with better sidewalks?? When do expect to see out dated infrastructure replace as well rebuilding the road system??

Its a fact of life and has to happen on someone watch and life frame.

Its to bad hydro overhead can't be place underground at this time along with cable lines..

I know that TTC must fix infrastructure every few years, and I respect that, but the businesses remember what happened 10 years ago all too well.

I know that TTC must fix infrastructure every few years, and I respect that, but the businesses remember what happened 10 years ago all too well.
Yes I do, but it was the city that caused the mess when it was replacing all its infrastructure. Also, the contractor was to be blame as well.

TTC doesn't hire anyone for their work or street work, other than suppling crews to lay the track work. Until everything is in place for TTC crews to place ties and rail/switches, they have nothing to do with the on going work.

Is there any info out yet on what they plan for the 504 and 501 routes ? I think that the 504A might end in April, and all service, even the Distllery portion, would be operated by 504B.

Back