News   May 07, 2024
 521     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 465     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 927     3 

TTC: Streetcar Network

I never really understood why they would shut down the streetcars and use buses overnight.

I would assume staffing and demand.

No doubt they focus on daytime staffing rather than overnight for obvious reasons. Likewise, there was probably not enough demand to warrant overnight streetcar service.

I never really understood why they would shut down the streetcars and use buses overnight.
The routes which did that did it because they were incorporated together with another route - Bathurst had one through route provided along its entire length, Kingston Road was part of the Coxwell night bus, and St Clair was bustituted because the night bus ran further west than the daytime car did.

Keeping this in mind, all of these changes sound like they are going to make traveling worse along the routes in question.

The routes which paralleled their daytime equivalents in full, such as Queen, King, and Carlton, have always used streetcars.

Are there any subtle differences from the original order? I'm just wondering if these will become like the new "Swiss" CLRV cars where it is familiar, but not quite too.
According to an operator friend who has taken a look at one, they are nearly identical. He was a bit disappointed as there were things he would have liked to see changed.

One difference I noted was they were delivered with solid red and blue seat moquette.

1700269220169.jpeg

Nov 16
All the shots are now up on my site for Adelaide St Work

Sept 13 2013 The removal of the switches and southbound track
9828171395_5de759fb61_b.jpg

53352222684_7860a6217d_b.jpg

Nov 16 2023 Reinstalling the switches and Southbound track
53352224699_055386ac7a_b.jpg

53352351645_45906a0b81_b.jpg

53351902831_d47db924a0_b.jpg

53351022047_17216100fe_b.jpg

53352223079_6188113254_b.jpg

53352222714_f2d9ae2809_b.jpg

Ready to be dug up from the intersection to east of the driveway to the parking garage
53352121618_17ddec3a96_b.jpg

Yes they will, because it has been stated on countless occasions that stop/check/go is due to the TTC's own safety convention (paranoia), and has nothing to do with the actual physical properties of single point switches.

Yes they will, because it has been stated on countless occasions that stop/check/go is due to the TTC's own safety convention (paranoia), and has nothing to do with the actual physical properties of single point switches.
Does the TTC do the same with its subway trains at each track switch?

No, you would know if they stopped at every switch if you rode the subway. The streetcar maintenance program has always struggled more than the subway. No one here is arguing that it's a rationale policy, but it certainly is safe and easy to apply as a blanket policies when there's no consistency across the network.

No. The subway system uses completely different electronics for determining the position of the train.

New systems, like Finch, are much more like the subway. Converting downtown to a CBTC system (Finch uses SelTrac) and tying that into the switches would eliminate a number of issues. As a secondary item, the CBTC system could also provide hints to streetlights (like green requests if there is a large gap in service). It would be a large project.

Last edited:
No. The subway system uses completely different electronics for determining the position of the train.

New systems, like Finch, are much more like the subway. Converting downtown to a CBTC system (Finch uses SelTrac) and tying that into the switches would eliminate a number of issues. As a secondary item, the CBTC system could also provide hints to streetlights (like green requests if there is a large gap in service). It would be a large project.

Given the usage of the system, it seems like it should be near the top priority of the TTC given that new lines are being funded by Metrolinx. This would by far have impact on the most people.

Yup they're a different type of switch then used in the TTC streetcars, what's your point? We should spend money ripping up all of the switches and replace them with ones like that?
There was a plan at one time to replace the existing switches and move to switches like these, but disappeared as far as I know. Crosstown have the similar switches as well and TTC drivers will love them flying through them.

Until TTC fixes the switches issues, Streetcar service is going to suck.

Back