News   Mar 28, 2024
 490     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 798     0 

TTC Stations Upgrades

R

rdaner

museum_still_1.jpg

Finally, the Toronto Community Foundation has announced a $1 million gift from the Budd Sugarman Foundation towards the renovation of Osgoode, St. Patrick and Museum subway stations. Mr. Sugarman was the “unofficial mayor of Yorkville†and the foundation set up in his name was dedicated to celebrate his efforts to preserve the area’s heritage buildings and architectural landmarks.

The donation brings the total amount raised by the TCF to $1.75 million, $2.75 million away from the estimated $4.5 million required to complete the renovations to Museum station.

transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/data/200602160845.shtml

Nice, thanks for the update on this, I can't wait to see this done. Museum looks aweful right now, looks like a jail where the caged area is.. lol

How would they go about doing the upgrade? would they close of half the station and have trains run through only one side?

for Osgoode, will the renovation include the entrance tunnels into the station from the street? they are in really terrible shape

How would they go about doing the upgrade? would they close of half the station and have trains run through only one side?

Probably the same way they did work at Sheppard station... hoarding around some areas and everything outside the hoarding only gets worked on at night... perhaps some early station closings. They would likely keep all the stations functional most of the time.

Im all for a rennovation, and it does look nice...but am I the only one who thinks the new pillars (assuming they use the plan implemented in this rendering) look a little tacky?

museum_still_1.jpg

"am I the only one who thinks the new pillars (assuming they use the plan implemented in this rendering) look a little tacky?"

Yes...I think they look really tacky.

I don't think it looks tacky. I looks like an invitation to the kids museum at the ROM. Maybe a cave effect and some fake bats on the ceiling would look good too.

Just happens Thorsell et al. successfully ditched the kids museum image at the ROM, this...

AoD

Nice, thanks for the update on this, I can't wait to see this done. Museum looks aweful right now, looks like a jail where the caged area is.. lol
I don't see how you can say Museum looks "awful" right now. In many ways it perfectly represents the simple lines and uncomplicatedness of Toronto's subway system. The station is well maintained and while nothing awe-inspiring to look at, it looks fine I'd say.

I believe the cage was added after a woman was raped in that portion of the station. Hopefully the renos can somehow address the safety in that end while still getting rid of the cage.

but am I the only one who thinks the new pillars (assuming they use the plan implemented in this rendering) look a little tacky?
I think they look ridiculous too. At least sticking to one "period" would help give it a more unified look.

Great news. Is $1m enough, or is that just a sizeable dent to renovate these stations? Yes, I do think the Museum rendering is tacky too, and hope it's a different design.

I think anything is better then the beige coloured station at Museum now.

I actually think museum station was the more attractive rendering of the three regardless of how tacky it looks. Columns through the ages... seems fine for an art concept to me.

Back