News   Jul 24, 2024
 592     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 643     0 

TTC Station & Vicinity Maps

It has now been several years since they installed an exit from the Spadina station to Walmer Road, at the west end of the Bloor platform. They still don't have any signs at the platform level pointing to that exit. You would think that would have been part of the job of building the exit, but apparently not, and no one appears to think it's necessary.

They really should take a hard look at signage in general. There are still signs in the St. George station pointing toward the Medical Arts Building, which has not been the Medical Arts Building for a few years now. I'm sure other examples could be found.

At this point, no incompetence that comes out of the TTC surprises me anymore. What surprises me is that anything is ever done right, like, um, well, building the Yonge line 50 years ago :)

For a full 5 years after the Sheppard line opened, the TTC put subway cars into service with system maps that didn't show the existence of the Sheppard subway. It's a given that the station & vicinity maps will be messed up...might as well use those resources to finish installing station elevators instead.

"Crowdsourcing" corrections to TTC information

The TTC should post them here so we can proof them first.

Actually, there may be a glimmer of opportunity amid the TTC's embarrassment.

For a while I’ve been noticing opportunities to crowdsource corrections of various TTC information media. What’s needed is a venue where the transit-using community can point out errors or omissions and transit staff can officially take note.

This could include stop announcements ... or the Ride Guide, ttc.ca, infopost schedules, the upcoming trip planner, etc. The 'crowdsourcing' approach is not radical -- modern mapmakers now solicit and use corrections sent in by the public.
http://crowdsourcing.typepad.com/cs/crowdsourcing_maps/

I foresee a load of suggestions/complaints when the trip planner and nextbus applications go online -- "soon". Media coverage of wonky routings from the trip planner can also be expected. Can we somehow offer constructive criticism? (I reckon a certain libarian would suggest such an approach is hopeless…)

And would the TTC go along? No guarantees, but I am available to make the case. In fact, I would insist -- formally; in print; whichever shows the best chance of staff buy-in, and a commitment to heed the offered corrections into the future.

TTC would not have the resources/initiative to start this on its own. What’s needed is a venue ... like, perhaps … a discussion board.

Would the admins and members here be into hosting a prototype crowdsourcing board? How much (volunteer) time would be required?

If there is interest, I propose we start with one area -- perhaps the schedules on ttc.ca. I have made suggestions going back years on missing or confusing information on schedules. Some remain unfixed, but the process for doing so is fairly straightforward I imagine. And fixing the timetables may reduce errors in the trip planner.
Here’s just one schedule oddity I alerted them to ages ago:
http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/59/Westbound.jsp
What are the U and X branches??

I’m imagining a set-up where one post contains an active list of pending corrections. When the TTC actually makes a correction, the entry could be archived. I'm not sure the standard discussion board format would work, especially because you'd want to keep the active list in the forefront so that uncorrected errors do not become forgotten in older posts. A sticky?

If this works, the format could morph into something larger... so be careful what you commit to. Consistent moderating and (constructive, vent-free) participation would be necessary. Also, the ability to use a pseudonym here might permit TTC employees to participate.

If there is an interest in setting up a test board/thread, I am prepared to request that TTC formally participate. Media clout might be good for something.

-Ed

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with the new map is that it doesn't show the nearby TTC routes. Most often, I have used them to figure out where to go to catch a bus or streetcar. While some routes are usually obvious (the King Streetcar is on King Street), some are less so (the 503 doesn't go all the way west to University, so if you stand at King and University waiting for it, you will wait a long time).

Putting TTC routes on a TTC map in a TTC subway station seems like a no-brainer to me.

For a full 5 years after the Sheppard line opened, the TTC put subway cars into service with system maps that didn't show the existence of the Sheppard subway. It's a given that the station & vicinity maps will be messed up...might as well use those resources to finish installing station elevators instead.

I rode in a car last night that had no maps in it at all. Usually there is at least one, but not this time. I got on at Union and there were several people who were looking for a map and had to ask for help with directions. In fact I've noticed that missing maps are becoming much more common this year. Are transit geeks stealing them all or what?

does the ttc have anything to do with this?!

26135652.jpg

27694644.jpg

I really wish that the TTC would create a vicinity map, similar to Montreal’s, including one that we can download on the computer, in PDF form. If the same map can be used both for the station and in download-able PDF form, the excuses about cost can be reduced.

Click on this link to see Montréal's station information version, and click on the thumbnail to see the PDF map version...

How is this different from TTC maps here:
http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/General_Information/Maps/index.jsp

To be honest, I don't get what all the fuss is with this.
Ok, the TTC made a big F-up with this, but the news is all over this like the world got lit on fire or Michael Jackson came back from the dead.

Sure, they should be avoiding glaring inconsistencies like this, especially when they're so easily avoidable, but they didn't kill anyone. In fact, they didn't even harm anyone. Is there really nothing better to report on or something? I know the war on terror's getting boring and Obama's been in for over half a year, but really... subway maps? :rolleyes:

Someone already mentioned that this is just another symptom of TTC incompetence, so no need to pile on; but this goes deeper than being 'just a map' problem. The TTC is one of the faces of Toronto for tourists who are the people most likely to use these maps. A tourist looking to go to the CN Tower or City Hall and it's missing on the map, may become frustrated and less likely to have a positive view negatively impacting tourism in Toronto which brings in much needed $$$ to the city.

I've recently visited places like Hong Kong, Japan and London (England) and we relied heavily on their transit systems which were much more effective and efficient than the TTC and was one of the big reasons why we enjoyed visiting those places.

does the ttc have anything to do with this?!
27694644.jpg

If you click on "more info," it clearly states this is the CN Tower. Businesses can add their names to map by e-mailing Google so maybe that's what someone at CTV did. Nothing wrong with that.

What's your point ... it's the transmission tower for that station, isn't it?

so you don't see anything wrong in labelling one of the most prominent structures in canada as 'city-tv' and then when clicking it, a description of cfto popping up?

Back