News   Apr 26, 2024
 159     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

To study them, does not mean to actually fund them.
But they already studied the Sheppard West and East extension. The EA as already done once. What's the point of studying them again and again if they aren't going to do anything.

The B-D Extension was partially studied. It was determined that it must be underground, costs billions and not feasible at that time.

Right now, they have been going in circles.

But they already studied the Sheppard West and East extension. The EA as already done once. What's the point of studying them again and again if they aren't going to do anything.

Politics.

Tory and his lackeys needed votes for the SSE plan and in return supported the pointless studies on Sheppard West and East. Not to mention the BD extension to Sherway Gardens.

You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Forgive me for not having the numbers on platform length to back me up (this has been discussed on this forum before, I am sure someone has them), but can't we run 4-car trains, just having them stop in one half of the platform and having the other half of the platform blocked off as upgrades take place?

Yes, and I've proposed that in the past. The platforms are actually built for 6 car trains. 2 cars worth of platform are walled off though. Nothing stopping that walled off part + a bit of the in-service platform from being the first part to be lowered though.

You can shut down half the platform, reduce to 2 car trains (the T1s come in pairs), lower the half that isn't being used, shut down for a couple months to convert the tracks to LRT, reopen with 2 car LRT vehicles, lower the other half.

Politics.

Tory and his lackeys needed votes for the SSE plan and in return supported the pointless studies on Sheppard West and East. Not to mention the BD extension to Sherway Gardens.

You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Seems some don't know how politics works around here.

At the end, taxpayers money are spent to feed Tory and his crew as well as financing garbage reports that will never happen. 15 years later, they do another round of EAs and the cycle begins again.

Everyone on this board will be died and bury before a 1/3 of these lines are built, if that.

My ranking of subway to be built ASP.

#1 DRL to Steeles in the east as well in the west by Jane St.
#2 Bloor Line to Cloverdale
#3 Yonge Line to Steeles
#4 Sheppard E to Victoria Park. Since the line has to be tunnel under 404, you are better off going to VP. Still prefer the Whole line is converted to LRT. You then can take the LRT west of Yonge a lot easier.
#5 Start planning for a 2nd Yonge with a new route south of St Clair to the Queens Quay

Everyone on this board will be died and bury before a 1/3 of these lines are built, if that.

#5 Start planning for a 2nd Yonge with a new route south of St Clair to the Queens Quay
I rather see a Bay subway before another Yonge subway. It will do just as great. It can head up Davenport and Avenue Rd to St Clair or even Eglinton.

#3 Yonge Line to Steeles
#4 Sheppard E to Victoria Park. Since the line has to be tunnel under 404, you are better off going to VP. Still prefer the Whole line is converted to LRT. You then can take the LRT west of Yonge a lot easier.
Yonge is going to Hwy 7. Not even worth arguing.

If they ever extend Sheppard, it's going to McCowan. There's no political payoff stopping at the Scarborough border.

#3 Yonge Line to Steeles

Regarding #4 I've read that more riders travel west from Scarborough to Fairview Mall than are travelling east from Fairview Mall to VP. The effect of extending the subway to VP is to inconvenience west bound travellers going to Fairview Mall with a transfer before they reach their destination. I agree with the long term vision to convert the Sheppard line to an LRT, that solves the transfer problem completely.

Its sad to note that had our most infamous former mayor hadnt been elected we wouldve been enjoying a summer commute on the Sheppard LRT for over a year by
now and this thread would be non existent...... :(

Regarding #4 I've read that more riders travel west from Scarborough to Fairview Mall than are travelling east from Fairview Mall to VP. The effect of extending the subway to VP is to inconvenience west bound travellers going to Fairview Mall with a transfer before they reach their destination. I agree with the long term vision to convert the Sheppard line to an LRT, that solves the transfer problem completely.
Not to mention should the DRL ever extend north to Sheppard, it would be a forced 1-stop transfer.

I though so too. Why not just elevate the subway on Eglinton East and then McCowan road all the way to Sheppard? Surely the savings would be enough to have an Eglinton-McCowan station, Lawrence East Station and Sheppard East.

This is where I'm very curious and anxious to see "HOW" the city plans to revitalize Scarborough Town Centre. If McCowan is to be the main corridor, then bungalows shouldn't be on that corridor and we could see a vastly rezoning initiative like on Sheppard Avenue.

Elevated subways are visually intrusive to residential areas but rezoning to commercial and high density means this argument no longer holds. The Gardiner doesn't impede on the proliferation of condo towers along the highway, so there's no excuses to not elevate that line.

I support the subway but if they keep it underground and at only 1 station, this will be one of the most idiotic decisions the city has ever made.

This is what I wrote regarding the Scarborough Subway and how it should be elevated to maximize its value. The same rational applies to Sheppard Avenue East. Single homes are being removed to make place for commercial buildings and high density residential projects.

With the Avenue being large enough, there's no justification for not having that line elevated the whole way. The visual intrusion argument doesn't hold when the Gardiner doesn't seem to bother condo dwellers.

Back