News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Or simply convert to a subway with similar dimensions to what can run on Line 3 (Vancouver has the Innovia 3 with widths at seat height no different than a Flexity Freedom LRV - i.e wider than what's on Line 3 today, but narrower than the TR on Sheppard). Order a TR variant not unlike that. Doing so we can easily utilize the existing Line 4 (5.5km), utilize the existing Line 3 structures between Kennedy and McCowan (2.5km), utilize the EA spec'd corridor from McCowan to Sheppard via Centennial (3km), with the only gap requiring more thorough planning being Don Mills to Kennedy (6km). In other words the majority of the corridor is laid out, with a good chunk of the stations being in place and optimized for high-floor subway vehicles.

Six-car conventional Toronto subways is overkill and stupid since it leaves too many areas unserved, as perfectly exemplified by Lastman's Sheppard boondoggle. And in-median curb platform LRT - although offering great local service and development potential - unfortunately doesn't offer the speed advantage as a subway or neighbouring 401. Something slightly different than a usual subway was effectively the answer for a northern crosstown in the 60s and 70s, and in my eyes could be the answer today.

I generally wouldn't support it per se in that I think our priority should be a sweeping U into DT from Etobicoke/NY in the west to Scarb/NY in the east, not some northerly beltline bypass. However if the focus is Sheppard I think there'd be a lot of merit to it compared with the two extremes we've become used to seeing offered. There's obviously a lot more than two ways of going about this.

We have to remember that while the sheppard subway sees relatively pathetic ridership when compared to the existing subway system, it sees pretty decent ridership overall for a stub. It gets higher daily ridership rates than some London lines and certain sections of the Spadina Subway. 6 cars may be overkill now, but they may not be in the future for any line. We have to remember that had the TTC not invested in longer platforms back in the 50s, the downtown subway problems would be significantly worse than they are now. I fear the same thing might happen with the Eglinton Crosstown.

Assuming we're building for tomorrow, your proposal may not be enough, but it certainly covers what's needed today in the most efficient manner.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Sheppard East until RLN is being built -- we might actually need it as a subway line when it opens for logistical purposes. It might only be extended to victoria park because that may be the terminus of RLN. Until we know, I wouldn't touch the line. Sheppard West however...

We have to remember that while the sheppard subway sees relatively pathetic ridership when compared to the existing subway system, it sees pretty decent ridership overall for a stub. It gets higher daily ridership rates than some London lines and certain sections of the Spadina Subway. 6 cars may be overkill now, but they may not be in the future for any line. We have to remember that had the TTC not invested in longer platforms back in the 50s, the downtown subway problems would be significantly worse than they are now. I fear the same thing might happen with the Eglinton Crosstown.

Assuming we're building for tomorrow, your proposal may not be enough, but it certainly covers what's needed today in the most efficient manner.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Sheppard East until RLN is being built -- we might actually need it as a subway line when it opens for logistical purposes. It might only be extended to victoria park because that may be the terminus of RLN. Until we know, I wouldn't touch the line. Sheppard West however...
DoFo obviously has different opinions...

The council votes along the Sheppard East subway had just increased from 10% of total to 20% of total. Get 13 more ford allies from Scar and Etob and we're set for business on this one.

They have growth-proofed Eglinton. The platforms are built for 90m and 3 car trains, but initial operations will be with 2 car trains.

They will also have the ability to approximately double the frequency of the line in the future. Initial operating conditions are expected to be 3 minute frequencies with 2 car trains.. this could theoretically expand to 3 car trains with 1.5 minute frequencies. This means opening capacity of the line will be about 6,500people/hour, while it can grow to 19,500people/hour.

You also have to remember that the 6,500 number is Metrolinx presuming that ridership along the corridor will roughly double over today simply because of the LRT.. so the amount of real growth that would need to occur to bring it up to 19,500 is huge.

Yikes. Yonge Eglinton.
2f5w41.jpg

Last edited:
I have a sinking feeling that Thug is going to announce full funding for the entire Sheppard subway before the DRL.

Am aware of the numbers and certainly not saying they're bad. Just not enough to justify a dedicated 6-car underground subway. And if we do extend as 6-car deep bore, a hurdle unto itself, what will end up happening? We'll still be leaving people short. And not just those across the city seeing lines shelved to pay for this expenditure. Even those along the general Sheppard corridor east of McCowan. Malvern area was planned to get subway-like transit 30yrs ago and not even the Fords promised anything there.

Frankly it's a bit silly to be comparing the core downtown area to Sheppard; ditto for comparing B/D, or Eglinton for that matter. Yes there may be problems with the future Crosstown LRT far down the line. But that could've been solved by going with high-floor vehicles and automation with 100m trains. Still wouldn't need anything beyond 100m, so what makes you think such "may not be enough" for Sheppard? Y+E or NYCC are most definitely not Manhattan, nor downtown Toronto for that matter. They're largely transfer points, with significant volumes likely intercepted by a line along Don Mills. I haven't seen even the slightest bit of evidence that something surpassing 20k pphpd would ever be warranted.

*If* in the year 3000 a 4-car, +20k pphpd capacity Line 4 extension turns out to be insufficient for Sheppard, is it a true roadblock? No, because we could build a parallel line somewhere else. Finch, Lawrence, Steeles...we'd have a millennium to plan for it so shouldn't be an issue. And those lines too could be 4-car.

Am aware of the numbers and certainly not saying they're bad. Just not enough to justify a dedicated 6-car underground subway. And if we do extend as 6-car deep bore, a hurdle unto itself, what will end up happening? We'll still be leaving people short. And not just those across the city seeing lines shelved to pay for this expenditure. Even those along the general Sheppard corridor east of McCowan. Malvern area was planned to get subway-like transit 30yrs ago and not even the Fords promised anything there.

Frankly it's a bit silly to be comparing the core downtown area to Sheppard; ditto for comparing B/D, or Eglinton for that matter. Yes there may be problems with the future Crosstown LRT far down the line. But that could've been solved by going with high-floor vehicles and automation with 100m trains. Still wouldn't need anything beyond 100m, so what makes you think such "may not be enough" for Sheppard? Y+E or NYCC are most definitely not Manhattan, nor downtown Toronto for that matter. They're largely transfer points, with significant volumes likely intercepted by a line along Don Mills. I haven't seen even the slightest bit of evidence that something surpassing 20k pphpd would ever be warranted.

*If* in the year 3000 a 4-car, +20k pphpd capacity Line 4 extension turns out to be insufficient for Sheppard, is it a true roadblock? No, because we could build a parallel line somewhere else. Finch, Lawrence, Steeles...we'd have a millennium to plan for it so shouldn't be an issue. And those lines too could be 4-car.

My point is that lines back in the day for the TTC (and transit in North America in general) were always planned with the future in mind -- When the yonge subway opened, you'd often only see a 2 car train running half empty during the off peak, however, they had the foresight (after a few years) to build the platforms to allow for 8 G cars (6-7 H series cars). The same occurred in New York, with platforms being long enough to accommodate 8-10 car 75' long train cars. It may have cost more to construct, but the remodeling costs and pains were never experienced by the daily commuter.

There are certain corridors in the city that don't need subways ever -- Finch is one of them. There are some corridors in the city that need subways now but not to the length of the existing system (Eglinton), and there are corridors in the city that need underground transit but not necessarily a subway (Sheppard). The point is that the city should have some sort of vision in mind and have a network grow along with it.

I'm not even saying Eglinton has to be built with 6 car train platform lengths to begin with, but they should have the ability to extend platforms (like they do with sheppard) to avoid future complications, and to make sure there are zones near subway lines to prevent any sort of utility construction to occur in case of a needed platform expansion in say a century.

They could have built Eglinton much better -- had they cut out half the surface stations, a few underground stations and grade separated the whole thing with TTC subway rolling stock, while only running 2 car trains (that can be coupled). The benefits are -- ease of expansion, lower dwell times, faster transit, more predictable transit on the east side, ability to automate, fleet commonality (ie shared yards with the relief line), better connectivity (many of the stations should have bus terminals, especially in the west and east sides), potential interlining, and most importantly: future proofing. Eglinton as I see it now is being planned in a far too conservative manner. We've seen that traffic along new subway corridors usually doubles within a few years and slowly increases after that (depending on corridor developments and gas prices). 2 car LRV trains with flexities can optimistically carry 150 passengers, realistically, 120 passengers per car, for a total capacity of 300 (240). Since the aboveground section will have limitations of ~ 3-minute frequencies (and turnbacks take up time and can only realistically allow for 2-minute frequencies), we can say that the initial capacity for the section will be 9,000 PPHPD (7,200 PPHPD), for 3 car trains: 13,500 PPHPD (10,800 PPHPD) -- we see greater frequencies (up to a minute and 30 seconds) with the existing streetcars on the KSP and maximum usage of around 4,000PPHPD, so with three cars, at best we'd get 12,000 PPHPD. It says something about how they are building this line.

This is not to say this method of building transit is bad -- Finch and Jane for instance should have LRT lines using flexity trains. Ridership levels on those bus routes are super high, while not being high enough to justify a subway (~40-60K PPD). Compare this to Eglinton -- up to 120K existing PPD along the entire corridor.

if the Sheppard subway was extended to the STC what would the ridership be

My guess at this stage (before RLN is built) is around 40-70K PPD for the new section of subway -- which is somewhat similar to that of the TYSSE's existing ridership. Currently, the Sheppard East Bus, Scarborough rocket, and other bus routes account for about 40K passengers on Sheppard avenue east alone -- of course, Sheppard east goes further than the STC, and only a small portion of the line will actually be on Sheppard. However, it's safe to assume that significantly more people will be drawn to the Sheppard corridor for transit by subway on roads like Kennedy, Victoria Park, McCowan, Consumers, etc. These increases in ridership would total about 5-20K passengers per day (it's fairly hard to gauge whether people are willing to go north of the 401 to catch the subway), but it would be offset by the effects of the Scarborough subway.

There's also the Stouffville line to take into account. If it's anything like the TYSSE, it may only bring in 1K riders per day until RER is implemented (which should be before this subway opens). I'd estimate that the transfer would account for 5-10K riders per day with electrified stouffville service.

Finally, there's an increase in transit ridership solely based on the fact that subways are faster and therefore will draw a few extra people onto it. There are also a lot of jobs along the corridor so it might attract between 5-20K extra daily riders (this is heavily dependent on the price of gas and car ownership in 2031).

Ultimately, these are just estimations and should be taken with a grain of salt as they are not scientific. It is also important to note that a significant portion of these riders also use the existing sheppard subway, so at best, the 12km line (total) from Yonge to the STC would only see about 100,000 PPD, which isn't bad for such a short line (exceeding opening day Eglinton crosstown levels on a per kilometer basis), but it does not really justify a full-fledged subway at this stage, especially before RLN and Sheppard West. Ultimately, when these lines are built (especially RLN), thousands more commuters will need the Sheppard subway to connect from Sheppard West to the STC, as it will link all 4 north/south subway lines.

Technically, can the existing Sheppard tunnel and stations support a subway powered by overhead line?

Yes, there are a few examples of vehicles with this type of configuration. Typically the hardest part with this is the very different voltages (600/750v DC 3rd rail versus 15/25kv AC overhead) which do not play well together at all, but TTC has gobs of experience with 600v DC overhead line which greatly simplifies things.

See Thameslink for an example with a mix of both AC and DC feeds.

Retracting a pantograph is straight forward. The 3rd rail connector, however, isn't typically retractable and running in an on-street configuration with a 3rd rail shoe might be considered poor form so there is a bit of extra customization there.

Last edited:
The Sheppard expansion conversation, at least on Urban Toronto, has always been focused on third-rail subway versus LRT.

Technically, can the existing Sheppard tunnel and stations support a subway powered by overhead line?

it all depends on the headroom. within the stations there is plenty but im not sure about the tunnels. Then again if your definition for subway is a LRT, extensive remodelling of the stations will be required.

Back