News   Apr 26, 2024
 505     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 206     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 676     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I think theoretically yes, but that would be one of the most idiotic decisions ever done by the provincial government, probably even moreso than Mike Harris filling up Eglinton West station with concrete. Don't forget that the liberals were the ones that pushed the idea of a Scarborough subway extension in the first place, all Ford did was change it from being a 6km 1 stop extension, to a more reasonable 8km 3 stop extension. There is simply no reason for the liberals to try and stop this after boring took place unless they are really desperate to stop Doug Ford's plans.

There is really no tangible support to stop progress on this line outside the usual noisy special interest groups and a small minority of extreme types in the Core of the City. No party would even consider such a move at this stage with the RT already in the middle of it's life support phase.

As for Toronto, Ford will see support boosted from pushing forward these key project to constriction and will also take Sheppard East to the next stage in design as a campaign item this election. Which means other parties will have to up their antes on transit accross the board to compete on this topic . The exact opposite of a cancellation scenario.

Last edited:
As for Toronto, Ford will see support boosted from pushing forward these key project to constriction and will also take Sheppard East to the next stage in design as a campaign item this election. Which means other parties will have to up their antes on transit accross the board to compete on this topic . The exact opposite of a cancellation scenario.

I hope Doug will put the Sheppard extension East(to Scarborough L2E)
West(Spadina Subway)

Another great idea would be to extend line 6 to Finch station.

I hope Doug will put the Sheppard extension East(to Scarborough L2E)
West(Spadina Subway)

Another great idea would be to extend line 6 to Finch station.

I fully agree, although at this time the western extension is not being reviewed. Those extensions are the kind of details other Provincial parties can counter and help with progress and gain political support.

anyone saying "let just build stuff" will get support over "lets do this again with a good plan"

I just want things to be built, as something is better than nothing.
Then explain to me why the fully funded LRT plan was cancelled and why we are years later without a shovel in the ground on a "let's do this again with a good plan."

Then explain to me why the fully funded LRT plan was cancelled and why we are years later without a shovel in the ground on a "let's do this again with a good plan."

Why it was cancelled?

Transit City was easy to overturn with voter support based on its piss poor design, with various concerns on all lines

Why we dont have shovels?

1. Council refused to work with Ford on upgrading to a subway or connected LRT in a weak Mayor council system
2..John Tory narrowly beat out Doug and Smarttrack & more council shenanigans prevented a reasonable subway design

The Provincial Conservative put an end to the Citys main artery transit planning nonsense once and for all. The line has been fixed and is now proceeding with two tunnel boring 'shovels'

There is also no serious appetite to overturn either subway project in Scarborough from any Provincial party and no serious interest at all levels within Scarborough voters. Good designs dont get overturned as a main election campaign items, bad ones can

Last edited:
Why it was cancelled?

Transit City was easy to overturn with voter support based on its piss poor design, with various concerns on all lines

Why we dont have shovels?

1. Council refused to work with Ford on upgrading to a subway or connected LRT in a weak Mayor council system
2..John Tory narrowly beat out Doug and Smarttrack & more council shenanigans prevented a reasonable subway design

The Provincial Conservative put an end to the Citys main artery transit planning nonsense once and for all. The line has been fixed and is now proceeding with two tunnel boring 'shovels'

There is also no serious appetite to overturn either subway project in Scarborough from any Provincial party and no serious interest at all levels within Scarborough voters. Good designs dont get overturned as a main election campaign items, bad ones can

Transit City would have provided "rapid transit" to more ridership across the city, with more stops/stations. Sticking with the subway will only provide "rapid transit" to a few AND would have required more buses to feed the far spaced stations.

image.

From link. Changes could have been added to put more of the lines underground (subway) where the roadways were narrow.

Transit City would have provided "rapid transit" to more ridership across the city, with more stops/stations. Sticking with the subway will only provide "rapid transit" to a few AND would have required more buses to feed the far spaced stations.

image.

From link. Changes could have been added to put more of the lines underground (subway) where the roadways were narrow.
People love to dump on transit city, but it's a really good reference point to build on. The only real flaw in it maybe was Don Mills.

Back