News   May 07, 2024
 210     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 624     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

My assumption is they are looking at ways to elevate Lawrence if possible, add a Brimley stop and review the benefits of moving the bus terminal to Sheppard. All items the City should have been doing instead quite a few were too busy working to kill the line and winning ward votes fueling unnecessary City division.
Interesting thought. The only logical decision I see is using the Stouffville ROW and then upgrading or replacing the elevated sections of the SRT to handle subway rolling stock (but we know that won't happen).

My assumption is they are looking to the possibilities of teleporters so that they don't need to add a Brimley stop and or review the benefits of moving a bus terminal to Sheppard. Surely teleportation technology is what the liberal lefty government should have been looking into instead of spending years trying to kill the subway that Scarborough deserves.

YNSE is happening with or without Ford. There's no way that any party will take this away from southern York Region. The real problem is going to be how quickly it opens, and whether Line 1 will have the capacity for it.

For this to happen quickly, it would need to be with Ford. There is no way the City/TTC would allow this without the Relief Line being built first (and perhaps even the Scarborough-whatever-it-becomes). Then there are also issues related to fare integration and operating subsidy (among others) that would need to be resolved. In the absence of a strong-armed (read: tyrant) in charge at the Provincial level this will project will not happen quickly - I have doubts if we will see this in 30 years. TBH: even with Ford at the helm, his hands are quite full with the other transit initiatives (RER, TTC Upload OL, Scarborough), there will be limited time for this. He's been in charge for 1 year - and what has been the progress on those files? In most cases its a step backwards. I'm curious to see how he fairs pushing the OL at-grade in the East-End. That'll be a fight, and take up a lot of valuable time. Ditto (though less-so) for Scarborough. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like its going to be 4 years of nothing.

Hmmm. Maybe extend any of the rapid transit lines in Scarborough eastward to serve a Pickering Airport?

I am genuinely curious why there is so much discussion for the Pickering Airport? Did I miss something, or is this entirely forum-derived? Pearson isn't going anyway for the next 100 years (probably more). It's a fairly largely airport (compared to many american peers) with room to grow, supported by tons of supporting business and infrastructure, why would that be done away?

I am genuinely curious why there is so much discussion for the Pickering Airport? Did I miss something, or is this entirely forum-derived? Pearson isn't going anyway for the next 100 years (probably more). It's a fairly largely airport (compared to many american peers) with room to grow, supported by tons of supporting business and infrastructure, why would that be done away?
Elected officials in Pickering and Durham are pushing for it.

They want it to be a Federal election issue

I actually think it could backfire. I bet the NIMBYs hate the idea of an airport
Maybe they can incorporate a subway extension to the airport to help it sell better. I mean Ford wants a subway to pickering anyways and clearly he has a mandate and will never be voted out of office.

This is now a Ford fixing the line that wasn't even a Ford chosen corridor.

What do you mean this isn't a "Ford chosen corridor"? To be clear, are you suggesting in the years leading up to Rob Ford becoming mayor where he supported a subway, during his battle with Council in the first year where he wanted a subway instead of LRT ("Transit City is dead"), and then his move to increase property taxes to pay for the City's share of the subway, that he was never specific on the corridor he wanted for the subway? In other words, Rob and Doug are off the hook for the changes in cost, ridership, and scope (1 station vs 3) because although they wanted a subway, they never tied them selves in media, social media, or documents to a specific route? Just trying to understand what you mean by "wasn't even a Ford chosen corridor".

Last edited:
My assumption is they are looking at ways to elevate Lawrence if possible, add a Brimley stop and review the benefits of moving the bus terminal to Sheppard. All items the City should have been doing instead quite a few were too busy working to kill the line and winning ward votes fueling unnecessary City division.

Since you may know this intersection better than me, are you thinking that they could pop out at the strip plaza on the east side of McCowan, bridge over Lawrence with a station (platform = blue lines), and then dive under again on the west side of McCowan, but after the West Highland Creek? I assume your theory is that an above ground station is less expensive than a blow ground station. But I assume going overground and adding a station would be more expensive than not building an underground station and staying underground? I haven't reviewed the latest City staff report to recall the cost of adding a Lawrence Station underground.

Attachments

• 1566235993071.png
    1566235993071.png
    2 MB · Views: 242
What do you mean this isn't a "Ford chosen corridor"? To be clear, are you suggesting in the years leading up to Rob Ford becoming mayor where he supported a subway, during his battle with Council in the first year where he wanted a subway instead of LRT ("Transit City is dead"), and then his move to increase property taxes to pay for the City's share of the subway, that he was never specific on the corridor he wanted for the subway? In other words, Rob and Doug are off the hook for the changes in cost, ridership, and scope (1 station vs 3) because although they wanted a subway, they never tied them selves in media, social media, or documents to a specific route? Just trying to understand what you mean by "wasn't even a Ford chosen corridor".

Fact is Rob agreed with the Province to move forward to connect the Eglinton Crosstown LRT with no transfer and Sheppard subway to fix "Transfer City". Collective council overturned to go back to the old LRT plan and the Liberals under Sobara thru Stintz and De Baeremaeker brought forth this corridor soon after. Rob was toast personally at that stage but was more then happy to see his subway calls fulfilled. Surely Robs ties to McCowan are there from campaigning on underground subway extensions but they did not officially table the McCowan line and had zero to do with the insanity of removing stops.

Whether you agree with the merits of better Centre connectivity which is at the root or not id easily argue the Fords have been the strongest and only ones consistently fighting to build something useful where others showed up as "champions" and went mum went push came to shove and council at itself. I have little issue with the line being fixed and the last chance review for optimizations of known challenges when we already have to delays and change scope to add the stops.

Last edited:
Since you may know this intersection better than me, are you thinking that they could pop out at the strip plaza on the east side of McCowan, bridge over Lawrence with a station (platform = blue lines), and then dive under again on the west side of McCowan, but after the West Highland Creek? I assume your theory is that an above ground station is less expensive than a blow ground station. But I assume going overground and adding a station would be more expensive than not building an underground station and staying underground? I haven't reviewed the latest City staff report to recall the cost of adding a Lawrence Station underground.

View attachment 199669

Im not sure what if any reasonable engineering solution is available. We'll have to see what options are looked at in this review but since the scope is to look at elevating and adding/removing stops im pretty sure this is the key area of interest on this line in addition to Brimley/Eglinton. Once the options are tabled n the report they will have make the decisions on 1 or both stops. From my POV Lawrence is very important for the 54 bus connections and Eginton would be more of an unfortunate missed opportunity if not designed in as the line passes underneath and the area has high urban development potential and better central commuter access or all.

Last edited:
Fact is Rob agreed with the Province to move forward to connect the Eglinton Crosstown LRT with no transfer and Sheppard subway to fix "Transfer City".

Thanks. Appreciate the additional insight for your view on this. Just in terms of the timeline though I think there's a little more nuance. My memory is that Council under Miller voted in favour of the LRT Transit City plan, and then in December 2010 when Rob Ford took office he said Transit City was dead and he preferred subways. McGuinty/Wynne told him he'd have to win a Council vote, he didn't, but then three years late around May to August 2013, Council flipped it's support during a motion about revenue tools to the support a Scarborough subway from Kennedy to Sheppard, Metrolinx asked for a definitive position and Council voted again for subways, and Mitzie Hunter won a by-election on platform of the subway (with the blessing of Premier Wynne, I assume). So yes, Rob "agreed" with the Province, but it's worth noting the timeline. It's not like the day Ford said "Transit City is dead" the Province instantly backed him.

Last edited:

Back