News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Probably not to any significant degree. The city admitted in a report that they don't expect the suburban character of the city to change all that much along most of the line.

Sheppard has been around for nearly 20 years now. While there have been some new condo projects, the character of the street hasn't changed to any significant degree.

It'll probably be similar for much of the Scarborough extension.
That's more wishful thinking. There will be a dramatic change along the corridor, especially with this new TOD policy which encapsulates an 800m radius around each station. Just look at the proposals we're now seeing spring up along the Crosstown line.

I could pick out literally dozens of sites right now in and around the Scarborough subway project area that would see some pretty hefty intensification.

That's more wishful thinking. There will be a dramatic change along the corridor, especially with this new TOD policy which encapsulates an 800m radius around each station. Just look at the proposals we're now seeing spring up along the Crosstown line.

I could pick out literally dozens of sites right now in and around the Scarborough subway project area that would see some pretty hefty intensification.

A lot of these projects have been in the works for years.

With much of the SSE route bordered by single family homes/neighbourhoods, I wouldn't be expecting too much new development.

With much of the SSE route bordered by single family homes/neighbourhoods, I wouldn't be expecting too much new development.
Not if Dougie has anything to say about it...

Yes and the Crosstown has in the works for years, and look at all the proposals just being put forward recently. Developers arent going to spring forward and start developing projects right in the middle of a major transit construction project because they know no one is willing to move into a construction zone and endure years of headaches, gridlock, etc...

You might want to expand your thinking just beyond just McCowan Rd (ie: look around Lawrence, Ellesmere, and Sheppard). There are so many properties that will be ripe for development it's pretty mind-numbing.

Yes and the Crosstown has in the works for years, and look at all the proposals just being put forward recently. Developers arent going to spring forward and start developing projects right in the middle of a major transit construction project because they know no one is willing to move into a construction zone and endure years of headaches, gridlock, etc...

You might want to expand your thinking just beyond just McCowan Rd (ie: look around Lawrence, Ellesmere, and Sheppard). There are so many properties that will be ripe for development it's pretty mind-numbing.

You mean where Rapid Transit stations have existed for decades?

I expect some development, but a large scale transformation isn't in the cards for most of the route. People do not want their suburban lifestyles interfered with. It's not as though that was a goal for this project in the first place.

I expect quite a few multistoreys around the Sheppard / McCowan terminus, assuming the city doesn't uphold some stupid zoning. Somewhat similar to North York: multiple highrises next to Yonge, SFH areas remain 1 km from Yonge on each side.

EDIT: it should be very easy to develop 3 corners (NW, NE, SE) out of 4, they are occupied by giant parking lots and low-rise commercial. The NE highrise cluster can extend much further, occupying the whole block bounded by Sheppard, McCowan, Nugget, and Shorting.

Scarborough Centre is already a node, and will keep growing. One can argue though how much of that growth will be due to the subway connection, vs how much would happen even without the subway.

There won't be much new density at Lawrence East, the geology isn't cooperative there. Small additions are possible in the south.

Last edited:
I expect quite a few multistoreys around the Sheppard / McCowan terminus, assuming the city doesn't uphold some stupid zoning.

Its going to be an MTSA; the City is has the zoning changes in their work plan as per the below:

1626974540037.png

In looking at that again, for the first time in a bit, I notice there is no MTSA pegged for Lawrence Station on the SSE.

That seems silly.

Its going to be an MTSA; the City is has the zoning changes in their work plan as per the below:

View attachment 336777

In looking at that again, for the first time in a bit, I notice there is no MTSA pegged for Lawrence Station on the SSE.

That seems silly.
You'll notice that there are no mtsa's proposed for any provincial project. The MTSA's along the Ontario line are all for the GO station, and the one at Scarborough centre is from the old one-stop subway plan. The MTSA's for the provincial plans are all listed as "Portions underway or not studied"

source: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...ent-2-Phased-MTSA-Prioritization-Approach.pdf

I expect quite a few multistoreys around the Sheppard / McCowan terminus, assuming the city doesn't uphold some stupid zoning. Somewhat similar to North York: multiple highrises next to Yonge, SFH areas remain 1 km from Yonge on each side.
Hasn't the province upzoned all the land around all new stations that it's paying for? Or is that something to come? Or my imagination?

There is however one at the existing Lawrence East station on Line 3, where GO had promised, but reneged, on a GO station.

The date on the figure is March 2020 - perhaps it doesn't reflect the final changes.

View attachment 336777

That seems silly.

It's missing all the provincial priority projects, in typical Toronto fashion. I believe that STC is included only because it's a major bus terminal (just like Sherway is), not because of the subway.

Of course the Sheppard LRT is included though, despite it being more or less dead as a doornail!

The city is legislatively required to designate MTSAs around the provincial projects however, so they will get around to it at some point.

It's missing all the provincial priority projects, in typical Toronto fashion. I believe that STC is included only because it's a major bus terminal (just like Sherway is), not because of the subway.

Of course the Sheppard LRT is included though, despite it being more or less dead as a doornail!

The city is legislatively required to designate MTSAs around the provincial projects however, so they will get around to it at some point.
The sheppard lrt is dead as a doornail but the sheppard subway extension Scarborough deserves is alive and kicking.

the inclusion of the Sheppard lrt makes me think that stc is there as the old one-stop subway plan not as an existing station 🤔

Back