News   Apr 26, 2024
 795     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 251     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 742     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

He never actually invoked the notwithstanding clause. He just threatened to, but then the courts gave him the answer he wanted and he no longer needed to.
I'm not sure what this has to do with Scarborough, but it was more than a threat. The legislation to do so (Bill 31) made it to second reading after the legislature was recalled. Reading the legislation is interesting, as it actually invokes the notwithstanding clause four times; for the City of Toronto act, Municipal Act, Municipal Elections Act, and Education Act.

On one hand there's nothing stopping the government passing this very quickly if the Supreme Court rules against Ontario. On the other hand, I don't know how this would ever have survived itself, given the lack of specificity in the application of the notwithstanding clause. Though if they do pass Bill 31, then perhaps it will return to the Supreme Court in 2024.

I would be okay with 15 years from concept to delivery if we didn't start the clock at funding being committed. There is nothing wrong with having a long term plan for how to build out infrastructure, and taking time to get it right. But treating projects as one-offs instead of an ongoing capital program leads to unnecessary delays. And knowing transit plans 10, 20 years out might help with making better decisions about where we put utilities, etc.
On paper I agree with you, the issue is that a 15 year capital program should mean "Let's build these within the next 15 years" and not "Let's have all of these done in 15 years". I have a lot of issues with transit in LA, like A LOT, but one of the things they got right with Measure M is that the projects are well spread out during they rush to build projects by the olympics. Crenshaw is finishing this or next year, the Regional Connector the year after that, Expo West was finished a few years ago, the Purple Line is getting a phased opening west to the hospital, and there are a few projects that are cutting it close to the olympics but definitely not all of them. This is how you do long term plans. What you don't do is sit on your butt for 10 years getting nothing done and then finish all of the projects rapid fire when the deadline is coming up. And remember, most of these projects are LRTs and BRTs, which don't take a decade to build like subways (This is why I'm mostly excusing the Eglinton Crosstown and TYSSE). The fact that most of these surface LRT projects are finishing within Doug Ford's Tenure (and in the case of Hurontario, beyond his tenure) screams volumes.

Because lrt is more comfortable than busses and can carry a higher capacity of passengers than busses without adding road congestion, and is more attractive to riders
I mean yeah, kind of weak arguments tho
Not just fare integration with GO in Scarborough but more bus feeder routes to the stations.
Also can we just have fare integration everywhere lol
I didn't know the Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West, Hurontario, ION and O-Train LRTs as well as the Viva Rapidways were projects being done by the cons. Ford is just taking credit for what has already been started under the Liberal government to much opposition from the PCs when they weren't in the front seat. The only credit they'd deserve would be the SSE (no thanks to the heavy politicking of the early 2010s), Eglinton West and the Ontario Line with the magical technology that's supposed to offer subway-like capacity using shorter trains as if we're in Doctor Who.
Yeah its nuts, it should take 5 years to do even pretty large projects - ala Vancouver, Sydney etc. Theres no reasons the Libs couldn't have gotten WAY more done

was that ever really an option? didnt they need to do a crapton of renovations on those cars anyway? also isnt it not only the cars but the tracks and infrastructure need renovations/replacement as well?
From the article:
In a recent report, TTC staff stated Vancouver’s SkyTrain cars are compatible on the Scarborough RT and “substantially similar” to the cars used on the Toronto system. But there are still some key design differences that would require an expensive retrofit, such as the installation of secure compartments at end heads of the trains for driver cabins. Although the Scarborough RT is fully automated, TTC policy mandates the redundancy of drivers.
'We can't do it because unnecessarily downgrading the trains is not worth the expense.' (along with other things)

Last edited:
From the article:

'We can't do it because unnecessary downgrading the trains is not worth the expense.' (along with other things)
I wonder if they could just decouple the current married pairs and sandwich the cab-less Translink pair so they don't need to retrofit them. Communication signals between them might be different through.

Based on past projects, does anyone have any idea of when we could see some preliminary designs or concepts for the stations? I'm guessing they scrapped whatever planes they already had for Scarborough centre station given it shifted over a block, and I mean there obviously weren't concepts for the other stations.Just curious about how they plan on fitting everything in particularly at stc with the station now being so far from the mall and civic centre.

Can someone tell me why, unlike every other map maker in the world, Metrolinx doesn't put their maps so that North is at the top?

Their image in the post above has North to the right, just for kicks.
Probably because they wanted the image to be wide rather than tall, and the project is mostly North-South oriented, thus they decided to rotate it to maximize horizontal size and minimize vertical size. That, or they really wanted to make this look like an "eastern extension" as much as possible.

Back