News   Apr 26, 2024
 262     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 176     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 627     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

^it has nothing to do with "want." the city and province can't afford an LRT on Eglinton East, nevermind subways. many if not most of these extensions will not happen due to cost. some of them should not happen because of low ridership.

Nevermind subways? Yet in reality we are currently planning and building subway extensions.

The 'we cant afford' division politics, is exactly what ended up costing us billions more from wasting time for these inevitable lines. The GTA will continue to grow and expand, relief will continue in many forms, and local transit will continue to be improved in many ways. The days of pitting reief vs. growth vs. local improvements or trying to blanket a tech against good design is over.

The EELRT route why i use is now receiving rapid bus, I also believe EELRT will be built at some point but will have to be mainly a City initiative and will now have nothing to do with the future growth node subways which the Province will finance if and when they decide. Thankfully

Last edited:
I think you meant to say the days of blanket lrt tech is over since you're advocating for blanket subways subways subways tech.

HULRT-MAP-2019.jpg
I find it slightly strange that this Mississauga-centric higher-order transit map is missing one of their GO stations - Malton. I know, it doesn't intercept with the LRT at all, but as someone who grew up in Malton, it's rarely considered in the larger city's thinking... or Metrolinx in this case. You could also argue that UPX Pearson should be here too.

I find it slightly strange that this Mississauga-centric higher-order transit map is missing one of their GO stations - Malton. I know, it doesn't intercept with the LRT at all, but as someone who grew up in Malton, it's rarely considered in the larger city's thinking... or Metrolinx in this case. You could also argue that UPX Pearson should be here too.
Because its not THE Peel Region Map. This is the Peel Region Map: http://www.metrolinx.com/images/greaterregion/regions/peel/Peel-Region-Map.pdf

I think their point is that Malton is part of Mississauga. I mean, yes - by extension it’s part of Peel region, but still part of Mississauga first, which makes it odd that it’s not included.

It’s a pretty busy station (at least from the perspective of someone who used it daily). I really think Malton the community has some decent bones, but...underutilized and unrealized.

That's an interesting concept, but I believe we should look at each connection separately; not all of them are equally viable.

1. Yonge subway to Richmond Hill: certainly justified, lots of potential ridership, just need to add the Relief Line in the south.

2. Vaughan subway: already there, but wasn't a very good idea, the ridership north of Steeles is extremely low. Vaughan Centre is not really an established urban centre, just a potential one. The subway could terminate at the Pioneer Village instead.

3. Mississauga: my best hope was to use the Milton GO line for a direct connection between the Toronto and Mississauga downtowns, but it looks like the CP mainline is untouchable and the Milton line idea is not going anywhere.

Maybe, the best bet at this time is a branch of Line 5 (Eglinton) running into Mississauga. A Line 2 western extension may be considered, too.

4. Markham: I would not extend the eastern end of Line 2 further north from the Sheppard & McCowan terminus, due to the travel time concerns and operational stability concerns. Plus, most of density in Markham seems to be located west of McCowan.

Instead, I would eventually send the OL / Don Mills line into Markham. Either up Woodbine, or diagonally to the Enterprise area and Downtown Markham.

5. Sheppard Line to Pickering: there is an appeal in connecting the Sheppard corridor to the Lakeshore East GO line, that would enable many new transit trips and maybe even compete with driving on the 401.

However, both the route and the technology would have to be scrutinized. It should be something fairly fast, running at much higher speed than most of TTC's subways, and at the same time, it does not need the 30K+ capacity.
Let's be fair to Vaughan, that station has shattered all expectations. Considering the TTC was only projecting about 3K passengers per day for 407 and VMC combined, it's really a miracle ridership is closer to 20K PPD. Should it have ended at PV? Probably, but hell, York Region paid for it, that was their choice, they're backing it up with ridership and density at VMC. U of T, Ryerson, Humber College, York, OCAD, and George Brown students now have much better GO bus connections (Don't underestimate these, getting to/from downtown on the GO bus network was a huge chore before 407 opened), and we got meaningful connections to VIVA/Brampton ZUM. Extending the Spadina subway supposedly reduced the burden of Yonge subway users by diverting Finch West, Steeles, and Hwy 7 users to the Spadina line, so ultimately it did some good for Yonge. An imperfect project? Absolutely, but there are definitely benefits.

Let's be fair to Vaughan, that station has shattered all expectations. Considering the TTC was only projecting about 3K passengers per day for 407 and VMC combined, it's really a miracle ridership is closer to 20K PPD. Should it have ended at PV? Probably, but hell, York Region paid for it, that was their choice, they're backing it up with ridership and density at VMC. U of T, Ryerson, Humber College, York, OCAD, and George Brown students now have much better GO bus connections (Don't underestimate these, getting to/from downtown on the GO bus network was a huge chore before 407 opened), and we got meaningful connections to VIVA/Brampton ZUM. Extending the Spadina subway supposedly reduced the burden of Yonge subway users by diverting Finch West, Steeles, and Hwy 7 users to the Spadina line, so ultimately it did some good for Yonge. An imperfect project? Absolutely, but there are definitely benefits.
Not York U though.

Let's be fair to Vaughan, that station has shattered all expectations. Considering the TTC was only projecting about 3K passengers per day for 407 and VMC combined, it's really a miracle ridership is closer to 20K PPD.
Wait, there are updated ridership numbers for the Vaughan extension?

20,000 daily from those two stations? Must have been a lot of kiss-and-ride fueling that.

100% agree with you. My personal experience with the extension has been positive.

Before the extension opened, my family would drive from Caledon to Yorkdale station and ride downtown. When the extension opened, we could now take the 407 station, instead of Yorkdale.

Downsview Park is pretty convenient as a Barrie Line transfer as well, especially when you're trying to go somewhere more than 10 minutes from Union.

(ignore the fact that it's the least used subway station)

Theres also tons of TOD going in at VMC, there's like 60+ floor towers getting built, so ridership should continue to increase. Hopefully fare integration happens and YRT also increases feeder bus service especially off peak. 20 Jane is already doing quite well.
The only problem I have with TYSSE is tunneling. Should have come above ground before Downsview Park, elevated beside Keele, cut and cover thru York U, then elevated to Vaughan.

Downsview Park is pretty convenient as a Barrie Line transfer as well, especially when you're trying to go somewhere more than 10 minutes from Union.

(ignore the fact that it's the least used subway station)
Network connectivity is important transit consideration too!

I feel much better about having a station like Downsview Park in our network than say Bessarion.

I consider it to be mediocre. Outside of York U and Finch West, all those stations are underperforming.

Wow those numbers are tremendous. When was the ridership update released? I didn’t see anything posted in the Spadina extension thread

Back