News   Apr 24, 2024
 292     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 439     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 476     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The Ontario Line Business Case shows the Scarborough Subway Extension having the normal 3 stops.
View attachment 196245
Weird that Gerrard Square GO station is missing. Probably a mistake.

Perhaps with the Ontario Line stopping there now however and the transfer at East Harbour its being canned.

But theres also no Woodbine station, which was actually proposed by this government.

As stated if the DRL can have above ground sections so can this, especially to reduce costs, and maybe not run under Eglinton and curve northward on McCowan since a diagonal line is a shorter distance between 2 points.

As stated if the DRL can have above ground sections so can this, especially to reduce costs, and maybe not run under Eglinton and curve northward on McCowan since a diagonal line is a shorter distance between 2 points.
I agree. If now it's ok for people in other parts to have elevated transit than surely Scarborough residents couldn't feel more entitled. It would be in the cities and province best interest if we just scrapped the current plan and started over with a more cost efficient above ground plan.

I have limited trust in any government, at least when it comes to building transit.
Same. But what can we do. The liberals deferred spending so lrt basically died. Now we’re contemplating underground here while saving money above ground downtown. At least we should be fair and just do what is right and do another study to find the feasibility of a above ground line and it’s costs in Scarborough. Who knows maybe the savings can bring the subway further into scarborogh. Wouldn’t it be worth re evaluating a plan now and studying more if it meant we could make a longer line with more stations? Surely anyone can see that’s positive for Scarborough.

Same. But what can we do. The liberals deferred spending so lrt basically died. Now we’re contemplating underground here while saving money above ground downtown. At least we should be fair and just do what is right and do another study to find the feasibility of a above ground line and it’s costs in Scarborough. Who knows maybe the savings can bring the subway further into scarborogh. Wouldn’t it be worth re evaluating a plan now and studying more if it meant we could make a longer line with more stations? Surely anyone can see that’s positive for Scarborough.

I wouldn't define this as downtown vs Scarborough. After all, the central section of OL / RL in downtown, from Parliament to Bathurst, will be tunneled in any case.

I don't see any conceptual problems with going elevated in Scarborough. Once I posted a route that's half elevated, and yet has 3 stops. New above-ground Kennedy station, then above ground following the current SRT route, with Lawrence station, then switching to underground before reaching Ellesmere, and going to STC and then Sheppard. That was years ago.

Indeed, we are not in the driver's seat, and have to wait for whatever they come up with. I'd be happy with any route, as opposed to endless delays.

Elevated in Scarborough is a no brainer. Shame it has to be deep tunnel or bust.

This thing should be entirely above ground, given their current plans for the OL. It should've always been entirely above ground.

The problem is that the Fords sold Scarborough on an underground future where above ground transit was for 2nd class citizens.

Hopefully that changes.

This thing should be entirely above ground, given their current plans for the OL. It should've always been entirely above ground.

The problem is that the Fords sold Scarborough on an underground future where above ground transit was for 2nd class citizens.

Hopefully that changes.
I'll give Ford all sorts of credit for changing his position, starting another study, and finally building elevated.

I'll give Ford all sorts of credit for changing his position, starting another study, and finally building elevated.
It would be awfully hard for Ford to do.
History shows that Ford was perfectly fine with a connected Eglinton-Scarborough LRT, with elevated portions through the Don Valley area and through STC, as well as at ground portions (but grade-separated) along the SRT route.
It was only until fully underground was proposed that enough support was obtained (from Councillors and MPPs). It would be amazingly politically risky for him to throw away the consensus that exists now and go back towards an idea that was rejected by many in the past.

History shows that Ford was perfectly fine with a connected Eglinton-Scarborough LRT, with elevated portions through the Don Valley area and through STC, as well as at ground portions (but grade-separated) along the SRT route.
It was only until fully underground was proposed that enough support was obtained (from Councillors and MPPs). It would be amazingly politically risky for him to throw away the consensus that exists now and go back towards an idea that was rejected by many in the past.

Of course, he'll continue to be a complete hypocrite on this issue.

We're hoping that changes.

He has wielded his power to cut council in half. Why stop now? He can make Scarborough great again with a few more Trump cards.

Back