News   Apr 25, 2024
 136     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Pape Station Renovation

I'd like to see analog clocks at the bus areas at these redesigned stations, and indeed at every station. The numbers could be in the TTC font, or simply chrome lines in a Modern fashion. It would be practical and add some style.
something like the ttc had at stations when they opened?

untitled.jpg

Yes, thanks. I was thinking of something slightly larger, with perhaps the numbers sandblasted or attached onto a wall. Plus, with the exception of that frame and mounting, the thing looks pretty institutional.

So on my way home last night on the BD, I noticed they've painted the ceiling of the Eastbound platform (on the far east end of it) dark blue. It looks kinda nice, actually... but really, in the end, will depend on how they finish the platform walls.

Blue Ceilings

Yes, I went to the open house way back when for the Pape re-do.

They pointed out then that they had painted a small part of the ceiling on the E-B platform blue, so people could see what it would look like.

They had three options, as is (white paint), grey'ish paint, and blue).

They wanted people's preferences.

Personally I think its a bit too dark, and worry that whey they patch the ceiling after the post-reno leaks, it'll be blue with white splotches!

I asked why they couldn't just take the lower ceiling out like they've done in large chunks of Wellesley, and Lansdowne.

Then put up the reflective panels. Apparently they don't want to use the reflective panels anymore, they said painting is cheaper than washing the ceilings!

Oh, they settled on the blue colour, I gather.

The walls will be white. (big square tiles, fake marble)

The theme is colours of the Greek Flag.

As long as they put in enough lighting it should look good. It's amazing how much brighter and less scary some of the BD stations look simply with the lighting being replaced.

Vic Park St. note

I looked around on this site for a thread about Victoria Park Station and I couldn't find one. I recently moved here from Vancouver and I have tried to be involved with transit here in T.O. I remember on the old TTC website they had a link for something called the Station Modernization Program which showed plans for Victoria Park Station, Pape, Kipling and Islington. The links showed renderings how each station would look after being modernized. Well I have some news about Victoria Park Station, they have started construction.

They are presently building a tempory bus platform using some of the parking lot. When the temp. bus bays are complete I imagine they will start demolishing the old seperate bus bays platforms so they can begin building the new station and bus platforms. The renderings are hanging on the wall inside the present station if anyone wants to have a look. I am so glad the Vic. Park Station is going to have an indoor waiting area that is accessible to all the different routes that use this station- all on one level down from the subway!

I went to Pape St. today to see if they have started construction on that project as well and was disappointed it hasn't begun yet. Pape is such a heavily used station that it needs this kind of investment. I am grateful to be living in Toronto at the present moment. It seems to be heavily investing in it's transit infrastructure like my old home town of Vancouver is. I will continue to check on this Pape thread, I use that Station a bit as well, not as much as Vic Park but I do use it sometimes. Hope someone starts a Vic. Park Thread with the artists renderings of how the station will look.

Station Modernization: Pape

The TTC recently awarded a contract under the station modernization program for Pape Station. Struct-Con Construction Ltd. was awarded the $19.7-million contract to upgrade the station’s appearance and facilities.

Since last week or so, Pape has been covered with signs noting that construction will continue until Spring 2012. No sign of any actual work yet though, or the ubiquitous construction trailers.

19.7M seems like a chunk of a lotta money for a facelift.

what else are they fixing?

Seeing as they're spending $1 M + just to replace the 8 foot brick wall surrounding the High Park station bus loop, this seems like an absolute bargain.

Back