News   Jul 23, 2024
 258     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 354     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Doug Ford's comments on the proposed service improvements, see link:

Councillor Doug Ford says TTC staff should not be pitching any major transit projects during the mayoral campaign.

Ford, who is campaign manager for his brother, Mayor Rob Ford, made the comments reacting to a transit improvement plan which will be discussed at the TTC board meeting Tuesday. When asked if TTC staff should be offering up the plan at this time, he said no.

This from one of the Ford brothers who avoids public transit like the plague. Except for photo ops, of course.

TTC report noted that there are an increasing amount of late night riders on the TTC. Maybe it's time for the TTC to start looking at extending subway hours? Though it's hard to say without seeing the numbers

I don't support that as it will increase operating cost.

I don't understand the urge for longer operating hours. TTC's hour is quite good and the frequency is excellent. Honestly, how often do we really need to take the transit after 2/3am? Yes, it may happen a couple of times a year, but taxis are always available. If we want to argue it will be nice for those who need to work at night, well, I don't think many actually start their shift that late.

I actually think the subways may even consider reducing the frequency during non-rush hours if cost is an issue, at least for certain outlaying segments so that money can be spent on something more worthwhile. Most of the time, the trains are like 80% empty.

I don't support that as it will increase operating cost.

I don't understand the urge for longer operating hours. TTC's hour is quite good and the frequency is excellent. Honestly, how often do we really need to take the transit after 2/3am? Yes, it may happen a couple of times a year, but taxis are always available. If we want to argue it will be nice for those who need to work at night, well, I don't think many actually start their shift that late.

I actually think the subways may even consider reducing the frequency during non-rush hours if cost is an issue, at least for certain outlaying segments so that money can be spent on something more worthwhile. Most of the time, the trains are like 80% empty.

For the 4 Sheppard subway maybe.

Not so with the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina nor the 2 Bloor-Danforth. They all have 5± minute headways during the non-rush hours. They are pretty full, if not crowded, most of time. Maybe towards the terminal stations, it will get thinned out.

In the United States, most of their subway/metro is between 10 minute and 20 minute headways, during the non-rush hours.

Not so with the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina nor the 2 Bloor-Danforth. They all have 5± minute headways during the non-rush hours. They are pretty full, if not crowded, most of time. Maybe towards the terminal stations, it will get thinned out.

In the United States, most of their subway/metro is between 10 minute and 20 minute headways, during the non-rush hours.

Word. They are crowded all day every day. Especially Yonge.

Amazingly Stintz claims to support the service improvements, even though she was the one who cut service and voted against the McNicoll bus garage required for many of the initiatives.

Bloor-Yonge Station is surprisingly crowded right now (12:30 AM, Monday).

7 really. They won't finish restoring the Karen Stintz cuts until 2018. They made them in 2011.
That's what electing Tories did for us.
A slight bit off topic, but does anyone know if Tory made a comment on his radio show in 2011 as to whether he was pro or against the Ford/Stintz cuts?

Word. They are crowded all day every day. Especially Yonge.

I am sure your definition of "crowded" is very different from mine.

For me and most people, "crowded" usually means not only you have zero chance to get a seat, but also it is kind of difficult not to touch a bunch of people physically when you get on/off the train.
Your definition of "crowded" probably means you see 10-20 people in each segment of the train?

I take the Yonge line pretty regularly during Sat/Sun evenings from North York at about 9-10pm, and I always have a seat. Actually the 3 or 4 of us can almost always sit next to each other. It is not completely empty but by no stretch was it ever "crowded".

Can we agree that if each or 90% passengers have a seat, the train is not "crowded"?

Bloor-Yonge Station is surprisingly crowded right now (12:30 AM, Monday).

umm, did you have a seat at that time, and you had to bump into how many other passenger when you got off in that crowded subway?

Last edited:

For me and most people, "crowded" usually means not only you have zero chance to get a seat, but also it is kind of difficult not to touch a bunch of people physically when you get on/off the train.
Your definition of "crowded" probably means you see 10-20 people in each segment of the train?

I take the Yonge line pretty regularly during Sat/Sun evenings from North York at about 9-10pm, and I always have a seat. Actually the 3 or 4 of us can almost always sit next to each other. It is not completely empty but by no stretch was it ever "crowded".

Can we agree that if each or 90% passengers have a seat, the train is not "crowded"?

I think "well used" would be a better word to describe.

I agree with your definition of crowding.

I've seen Yonge fairly crowded Saturday nights, but I mean downtown, not in North York.

Of course if 90% has seats it's not crowded. No need to be condescending.

Why would you say the following?

That's not my definition of crowded, please don't make claims about what my definitions are beliefs are. Also this statement seems sarcastic, possibly condescending to me. If that was the definition of crowded then the Sheppard subway would be "crowded".

Back