News   Apr 16, 2024
 15     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Ideally he'd be able to call control and the train would hold in the tunnel before kennedy before the special constables could come. If I call the info number how long would they take to transfer to the right person vs him calling control right away?
I said nothing about calling any information number. Your previous post said you were afraid of pressing the yellow strip because you didn’t want to stop in the tunnel with an attack taking place. Now you think they’re gonna hold the train in the tunnel with an attack taking place until police arrive? You should have alerted a crew member on the train. They would have investigated immediately at the next station and directly contacted the appropriate people. They would have also stopped at the next station to let people remove themselves from the situation. And if that allowed the aggressor to escape, so be it. Like I said the person could file a police report and give a description.

Also to add: one doesn’t have to be obvious when pressing the yellow strip. It can be done discretely. For example: going to an adjacent car at the next stop and pressing the strip there before the train leaves.

Last edited:
I said nothing about calling any information number. Your previous post said you were afraid of pressing the yellow strip because you didn’t want to stop in the tunnel with an attack taking place. Now you think they’re gonna hold the train in the tunnel with an attack taking place until police arrive? You should have alerted a crew member on the train. They would have investigated immediately at the next station and directly contacted the appropriate people. They would have also stopped at the next station to let people remove themselves from the situation. And if that allowed the aggressor to escape, so be it. Like I said the person could file a police report and give a description.

Also to add: one doesn’t have to be obvious when pressing the yellow strip. It can be done discretely. For example: going to an adjacent car at the next stop and pressing the strip there before the train leaves.

Actually when the Yellow stripped is pressed it makes one hell of a noise. I know this as I used it once before.

Actually when the Yellow stripped is pressed it makes one hell of a noise. I know this as I used it once before.
Yes I know. But you can press it without anyone seeing you or you can press it in the next car. If there’s a huge commotion due to a fight, the extra noise of the alarm won’t be as obvious anyway.

People here told me to call 911, I'd probably call the info number since it would get to transit constables faster. stopping in the tunnel with nobody on the way seems useless. As fair as they know it could be a illness, since you can't talk to the driver like the TR trains.

I was at the very front of the train, and I'd have to run back like 5 cars. It's easy to tell people they did something wrong when you weren't in the stressful situation. I didn't want to run back 5 cars or press the strip and make a big commotion IF THERE IS LITERALLY AN EMPLOYEE ON THE PLATFORM.

If this woman is mentally ill I'd rather police come when she is still there to take her away as clearly she is a danger to herself, rather than foolishly assume they'll look for her after the fact.

If you're a regular transit user like me, you need to check "TTC Service Alerts" on twitter just about every 20 minutes All these delays because of a "security incidents" on top of maintenance and traffic incidents, makes getting around difficult and stressful. Give yourself lots of time and plan a head!

From today alone

It would help if the TTC were a little more forthcoming about their procedures, but if you press the yellow strip…..
- the train will continue to the next station
- the on-train worker will radio TTC control, likely before reaching the platform
- on arriving at the station, the on-train operator may leave the doors closed until they reach the car to investigate

Nobody is going to forcibly detain the perpetrator - if they flee, that’s accepted…. better that they bolt than continue the attack or harassment.

By then, TTC Control is likely watching via the platform cameras, and is likely speaking to the police dispatcher by phone.

The point is, the perpetrator likely realises an alarm has been sent, immediate aid has been brought to the victim, and any need for medical or other assistance can be obtained by the operator further reporting to Control..

If the perpetrator hangs around and is caught, that’s even better, but sometimes that won’t happen. Having help be on the way is the main thing.

- Paul

People here told me to call 911, I'd probably call the info number since it would get to transit constables faster. stopping in the tunnel with nobody on the way seems useless. As fair as they know it could be a illness, since you can't talk to the driver like the TR trains.

For the last time. When you press the yellow strip, the train stops at the next station, not in the tunnel; and the doors are opened, not closed.

If you press the yellow strip, the driver talks to Transit Control who phone 911 and dispatch TTC personnel.

The Info number gives you staff who do not have that ability or authority.

For the last time. When you press the yellow strip, the train stops at the next station, not in the tunnel; and the doors are opened, not closed.

If you press the yellow strip, the driver talks to Transit Control who phone 911 and dispatch TTC personnel.

The Info number gives you staff who do not have that ability or authority.
Again this is based on what I knew 3 years ago when this happened. If this happens again I'm just pushing the strip.

Also hopefully sharing my enthusiast photos shows people here that I actually do actually want transit to work well and ideally pulls people over from driving.

I was at the very front of the train, and I'd have to run back like 5 cars. It's easy to tell people they did something wrong when you weren't in the stressful situation. I didn't want to run back 5 cars or press the strip and make a big commotion IF THERE IS LITERALLY AN EMPLOYEE ON THE PLATFORM.

If this woman is mentally ill I'd rather police come when she is still there to take her away as clearly she is a danger to herself, rather than foolishly assume they'll look for her after the fact.
Your whole scenario doesn’t make any sense. You don’t have to run five cars down the platform. There are employees on the train that can better respond than one on the platform. If you’re in the first car, there is an employee in the same car as you.

I still don’t get how you can think someone on the platform disconnect from the situation would be helpful. So you told the employee what happened. Then what you want them to do? They have to somehow find a way to contact control now. Maybe go downstairs to the booth? That’ll take some time. Maybe this employee was on their way to start work somewhere too. Now they’re going to be late and cause a delay elsewhere. Did you remember the car number and run number of the train so they know exactly where the person is?

If you're a regular transit user like me, you need to check "TTC Service Alerts" on twitter just about every 20 minutes All these delays because of a "security incidents" on top of maintenance and traffic incidents, makes getting around difficult and stressful. Give yourself lots of time and plan a head!

From today alone

Some of these aren't published. I had a train hold for 15 mins at st george due to a problem and the driver left the cab!
It didn't show up on their website or twitter!

4.jpg

Your whole scenario doesn’t make any sense. You don’t have to run five cars down the platform. There are employees on the train that can better respond than one on the platform. If you’re in the first car, there is an employee in the same car as you.

I still don’t get how you can think someone on the platform disconnect from the situation would be helpful. So you told the employee what happened. Then what you want them to do? They have to somehow find a way to contact control now. Maybe go downstairs to the booth? That’ll take some time. Maybe this employee was on their way to start work somewhere too. Now they’re going to be late and cause a delay elsewhere. Did you remember the car number and run number of the train so they know exactly where the person is?
I was in the lead car, to get to the guard I'd have to run to the back of the train unless I wanted the lady to see me knocking on the drivers door and put me as her target potentially.
The employee was standing at the head end of the platform. I was hoping they could call control with that phone on the platform or something, I don't know if they have a radio?

Some of these aren't published. I had a train hold for 15 mins at st george due to a problem and the driver left the cab!

View attachment 453536

I was in the lead car, to get to the guard I'd have to run to the back of the train unless I wanted the lady to see me knocking on the drivers door and put me as her target potentially.
The employee was standing at the head end of the platform. I was hoping they could call control with that phone on the platform or something, I don't know if they have a radio?
Enough already!

View attachment 453536

You’re just gonna keep making up excuses, so I dunno why I’m gonna bother replying. And I’m 90% sure your original post was just an opportunity to shit on a front line employee

So convenient now that you say you were in the first car with the operator and now it’s so convenient that you say the employee on the platform was also at the front of the train.

You still could have gone to another car. You could have let the operator know through their window outside the train. You didn’t bother addressing anything else a brought up. This discussion is a waste of time, and I got better shit to do.

You’re just gonna keep making up excuses, so I dunno why I’m gonna bother replying. And I’m 90% sure your original post was just an opportunity to shit on a front line employee

So convenient now that you say you were in the first car with the operator and now it’s so convenient that you say the employee on the platform was also at the front of the train.

You still could have gone to another car. You could have let the operator know through their window outside the train. You didn’t bother addressing anything else a brought up. This discussion is a waste of time, and I got better shit to do.
I am the only person who actually tried to do something. Nobody press the strip, nobody stepped in to stop her hit the guy and his friend.

And I’m not shitting on any employee, if you see this happen every day I get it is going to make a someone jaded.

Back