News   Mar 28, 2024
 119     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Meanwhile...

The (STM in Montréal) transit corporation says it is not required to have winter tires, claiming there is a gap in the market and certified winter tires simply don’t exist, even though several tire manufacturers make winter-specific tires for trucks and buses.

Instead, regular tires are modified by Nov. 15 every year to meet STM standards.

“So what we do is we provide our buses with new tires on the front and traction tires for the rear wheels. It is really sort of a homemade recipe but that works for us,” said Philippe Dery of the STM.

It works for the most part – the STM called the 12 minor incidents after the most recent snow storm “normal.”

“In rush hour we have 1,400 buses on the road so unfortunately incidents are bound to happen, but luckily there were only a few of them,” said Dery.

The city said it spreads salt before the snow falls and several times after. Still, multiple buses got stuck, forcing drivers to turn around.

“Unfortunately the one on Cote-des-Neiges happened near a busy intersection where many bus routes came so it had a larger effect overall. It was a normal day for the STM,” said Dery.

Transit agencies in other Canadian cities also do not use specific winter tires, with tire manufacturers saying buses do not need them because they travel slowly.

In several cities transit agencies use chains on buses, while this year Vancouver's city buses will be experimenting with lightweight kevlar "socks" that wrap about rear wheels.

So the 88 South Leaside has been detouring along my street the last two days. Given the weather it’s understandable but a whole whack of stops are being bypassed (on which people rely) and the TTC social media team know nothing about it (and it isn’t on the website). Which makes me wonder just how things are elsewhere in the city.

So the 88 South Leaside has been detouring along my street the last two days. Given the weather it’s understandable but a whole whack of stops are being bypassed (on which people rely) and the TTC social media team know nothing about it (and it isn’t on the website). Which makes me wonder just how things are elsewhere in the city.

I noticed 2 TTC alerts went out this morning for the 88. I'm not surprised that it wasn't reported online sooner, given the very high volume of alerts I've been receiving this past week. Some alerts seemingly changing status within minutes of being sent. A lot of the smaller streets with on street parking have been a total mess trying to navigate. See streetcar routes and blocked tracks...

Dear customer,

There is a service alert affecting 88 South Leaside. Detour via Southvale Dr due to weather conditions.

Toronto Transit Commission

Last updated Jan 20, 2022 10:55:18
Dear customer,

There is a service alert affecting 88 South Leaside. Detour westbound via Moore Ave and Mount Pleasant Rd due to weather conditions.

Toronto Transit Commission

Last updated Jan 20, 2022 10:57:05

Noticed this on the NW corner of Brimley and Eglinton Ave East today.

First time seeing such a thing.

20220122_140635.jpg

View attachment 376123
There's a few drop off only bus stop around the city that existed in the past 5 or so years. This one replaced the regular stop when they introduced RapidTO.

One at Lawrence/Royal York SW corner for the 52F after making a left. This one has been there since they changed the terminal looping and ever since they expanded the sidewalk. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.695...UAC0evXg!2e0!5s20170701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

One at Senaca College Loop. When they replaced the 39/39F with the expanded 199B/C branches, this stop became unused. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.793...4!1sw4I3Rh-Fl0pTa2m-R4DY3Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Looks like they installed it between October 2020 and January 2021 looking at Google Streetview. (this is the northwest corner, heading westbound - Eglinton at Brimley - west side).

Looks like before then it was a regular stop, and also had the 86, 116, and 334 stopping there. They must have removed that stop (and the east-side stop - making it over 600 metres between the Danforth and BimBrok stops!)

I'd guess that it's difficult for buses turning northbound from Brimley to Eglinton to see if there's anyone at that stop, and little need for someone to board the 12 (and 175/300) to Kennedy stops, with better service on the Eglinton routes.

Kind of makes sense - but I can't say I've ever seen a drop-off only stop before.

Looks like they installed it between October 2020 and January 2021 looking at Google Streetview. (this is the northwest corner, heading westbound - Eglinton at Brimley - west side).

Looks like before then it was a regular stop, and also had the 86, 116, and 334 stopping there. They must have removed that stop (and the east-side stop - making it over 600 metres between the Danforth and BimBrok stops!)

I'd guess that it's difficult for buses turning northbound from Brimley to Eglinton to see if there's anyone at that stop, and little need for someone to board the 12 (and 175/300) to Kennedy stops, with better service on the Eglinton routes.

Kind of makes sense - but I can't say I've ever seen a drop-off only stop before.

The nearest Bus Stop was at Danforth and Eglinton for the east/west routes while the 12 Kingston Road had the nearest stop at Brimley and Danforth.

I was actually surprised to see how far apart the stops were. It is bizarre how far apart they are, like a void.

The nearest Bus Stop was at Danforth and Eglinton for the east/west routes while the 12 Kingston Road had the nearest stop at Brimley and Danforth.

I was actually surprised to see how far apart the stops were. It is bizarre how far apart they are, like a void.
not sure if it's what you're talking about but the TTC consolidated stops along elginton east when the rapidTO lanes came in to kind of simulate the stop spacing of the EELRT

I have noticed that in the last couple of months there are more incidents of people smoking in stations and on board trains. It seems to be getting worse, even yesterday evening a bunch of kids were smoking joints in the first carriage of my train and another person was smoking a joint in the third carriage.

Noticed today for the first time of what looks to be a smoke detector on board the TR.

675B0758-45D7-4723-A115-E08887A64097.jpeg

I have noticed that in the last couple of months there are more incidents of people smoking in stations and on board trains. It seems to be getting worse, even yesterday evening a bunch of kids were smoking joints in the first carriage of my train and another person was smoking a joint in the third carriage.

Noticed today for the first time of what looks to be a smoke detector on board the TR.

View attachment 376614

That looks like a heat detector.

You have no idea how many times I was hanging out with someone and they suggested smoking weed on the subway.
Can they not wait until they get off?

You have no idea how many times I was hanging out with someone and they suggested smoking weed on the subway.
Can they not wait until they get off?

I do not understand why they can’t wait. I’ve already experienced cigarettes, vapes and joints. I’m expecting that someone will be smoking hash soon.

Back