News   Mar 28, 2024
 513     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 334     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Okay, the TTC reduced service because of COVID-19. That's alright. I can look up on a transit app to see when the next bus arrives. I'll leave home 5 minutes before and only wait a couple of minutes.

WRONG!

As a regular TTC user, it bugs me that the transit apps are inaccurate. Comparing the arrival time of buses on several apps, they tell me that a bus will arrive in a couple of minutes. The minutes passes and still no bus. The apps get refreshed, and one says a bus will come in 12 minutes, while the other says 15 minutes. 8 minutes later a bus arrives, but did not appear in the app.

It’s forecast that tonight and likely later in the month that the temperatures in Toronto will be around -20°C. It would be nice if the transit app information being given out is accurate. Don’t want to step outside expecting the next vehicle will be coming in a couple of freezing minutes, instead of turning into icicles for 20+ minutes.

Could this be a result of a COVID-19 virus infecting the apps? Are the times “suggested” arrival times only, since they don’t seem to be real time.

Just today, I used 'Next Bus' to predict when my next bus would be here. I always open the map function in addition to the predicted time.

The prediction said 27M on an every 10M route ................the Map showed a bus at a point where I know that makes no sense, it couldn't have been more than 15M tops........

I left it open and made sure I was ready to go..........

Refreshed it.........

The 27 inched down to 25, then suddenly plunged to 15M w/no change in bus position............

By this time I know its not more than 13M out, and probably less.......

2M later, it drops from 13M to 8M...........

At which point I head out the door....

There is something wonky w/the prediction software, it simply isn't very good.

On my way home, I get to the station, and the bus stop, initially it says 7M............then suddenly jumps to 20M

I know exactly what that is.............

The bus is on the other side of the station, parked; when the driver logs out and turns the bus off; it loses its tracking spot.........

So I knew it would still be 7M +/- 2

It was.............the driver turned it back on........and the time re-set......

This is a serious flaw in the tracking software.
Thank you for pointing this out @W. K. Lis .

The other day I was waiting for the bus at home. The tracking information (via Transit App) told me the bus was 10 mins and several blocks away. As I'm getting ready to head out I hear the bus blast by my window. Somehow the tracking software was 10+ mins off.

An even bigger annoyance is that the NextBus system seems to have never worked for the late-nite routes. As long as I can remember the night routes have either had no tracking information, or the information is just so inaccurate that it might as well be useless. This is unfortunate because the infrequent late night routes are arguably where the tracking information is most desperately needed. I really don't need next bus tracking for a bus that comes every 5 mins, but I do need it when I'll have to wait 30 mins or more for a bus.

This is a huge issue that makes taking transit a lot more burdensome than it needs to be. The shitty next bus system is affecting my commutes even more than the frequently unreliable signalling system on the subway. However I'd imagine the former is a lot cheaper to fix than the latter. Fixing this should be just as big a priority for the TTC.

Last edited:
TTC partners with MagnusCards™ to make taking transit more accessible

Jan. 18, 2022

The TTC has partnered with Magnusmode for a new digital initiative that will make taking transit in Toronto easier for neurodiverse communities.

MagnusCards™ by Magnusmode is a digital life skills app with guides to help autistic and neurodiverse persons perform everyday activities. The TTC has partnered with Magnusmode to develop five TTC MagnusCards decks, each of which focus on a different aspect of using transit. The app uses visual cues, step-by-step instructions and optional audio, to guide users through activities and tasks that may be unfamiliar to them.

“Creating an accessible transit system is a key priority for our city. This latest partnership with MagnusCards is one more step we are taking to remove any and all barriers and to address the needs of people in our city,” said Mayor John Tory. “I want to thank the TTC for creating this unique partnership and for their continued effort to move forward with our mandate to make the TTC safe and accessible for our diverse city and its people.”

“Enhancing accessibility is a top priority for the TTC, and we’re committed to exploring every opportunity to ensure that people with disabilities can safely and conveniently access our transit system. This partnership with Magnusmode is one more step that the TTC is taking to remove barriers to access for all transit riders,” said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

“We’re committed to ensuring that our services are accessible to all our customers regardless of ability, and I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to cultivate this partnership with Magnusmode,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “This free, digital initiative will help everyone navigate our transit system with more independence. This is another step in our efforts to make using the TTC as inclusive as possible for all Torontonians and visitors.”

“TTC MagnusCards provide an opportunity for learning and practicing critical life skills like riding a bus, in a real-world context. From getting to work, to going to appointments, and traveling to visit friends – accessible transit opens the world up to the autistic and neurodiverse community, offering the freedom to gain greater independence through travel,” said Magnusmode Founder & President, Nadia Hamilton.

TTC MagnusCards provide step-by-step visual, audio and text-based guidance on how to enter, board and exit a TTC subway vehicle or station, streetcar and bus. The decks also include guidance on fares and passes, trip planning, navigating ttc.ca and connecting with TTC Customer Service.

The app is free to download in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. The TTC MagnusCards are located within the ‘Travel’ section of the MagnusCards App, identified by an aeroplane icon. Persons can visit ttc.ca for more information.

Not news; a question.

Should I be that guy? LOL

(a good rule of thumb, if you have to ask the question, the answer is 'no'; but I'm so tempted...LOL)

So....bus service is slow tonight, both due to a missing run or two on the service I wish to use, and due to the weather.
No fault of the operator.....but they were running late with inordinate wait time.

Then they got to the station and decided to take a washroom break;
Hey.....if you got to go...... I'm totally sympathetic...

But just a couple minutes out of the station......a mid-block stop, blocking traffic on a major road, so the operator could go get a Tim's Coffee.
(zero question, saw them the whole time, and watched as they came back w/said coffee) delaying a bus of riders by several minutes.)

Other passengers literally yelled at the operator; needless to say, not my speed.
But I do have their operator number, the vehicle run number, the vehicle number and the time.....

So should I have their chain yanked?

FWIW, if they had just gone on the PA and said 'I apologize, I'm exhausted, I need it to drive safely, be back ASAP' I think I'd be fine with it.

But the operator didn't give the impression of caring what anyone thought.

I will defer to the wisdom of the group, LOL.

Now to go make dinner!

Last edited:
Not news; a question.

Should I be that guy? LOL

(a good rule of thumb, if you have to ask the question, the answer is 'no'; but I'm so tempted...LOL)

So....bus service is slow tonight, both due to a missing run or two on the service I wish to use, and due to the weather.
No fault of the operator.....but they were running late with inordinate wait time.

Then they got to the station and decided to take a washroom break;
Hey.....if you got to go...... I'm totally sympathetic...

But just a couple minutes out of the station......a mid-block stop, blocking traffic on a major road, so the operator could go get a Tim's Coffee.
(zero question, saw them the whole time, and watched as they came back w/said coffee) delaying a bus of riders by several minutes.)

Other passengers literally yelled at the operator; needless to say, not my speed.
But I do have their operator number, the vehicle run number, the vehicle number and the time.....

FWIW, if they had just gone on the PA and said 'I apologize, I'm exhausted, I need it to drive safely, be back ASAP' I think I'd be fine with it.

But the operator didn't give the impression of caring what anyone thought.

I will defer to the wisdom of the group, LOL.

Now to go make dinner!

Come'on you indecisive, don't want to take a stand bunch, LOL

I know a bunch you have read this.....

Random article I stumbled upon...

That time the subway was a nuclear fallout shelter

20130305-Nuclear-CrossSection.jpg

As with any other problem in life:

I don't believe that level of discipline is permitted under the collective agreement, never mind the constitution. LOL

Could I have said operator relieved of their job? Maybe; if their record was bad enough; more likely we're talking a written reprimand.

I'm still on the fence..............

I like being understanding and empathetic.

But I also detest assholery.

(and yes, that's a word) LOL

I don't believe that level of discipline is permitted under the collective agreement, never mind the constitution. LOL

Could I have said operator relieved of their job? Maybe; if their record was bad enough; more likely we're talking a written reprimand.

I'm still on the fence..............

I like being understanding and empathetic.

But I also detest assholery.

(and yes, that's a word) LOL
Start yankin'.

My two cents: Contact TTC and tell them what you told us, that if the driver had simply made the announcement that he was exhausted and really needed this coffee, it would really have helped to soothe things over. Far better for them to pass that sentiment on to all of their drivers than to discipline just the one.

I’d cut the guy a break, driving on Monday would not have been fun. Any other day, I would probably report him. But I like Kevin’s suggestion to make it a general suggestion rather than specific to the individual.

Complete waste of time filing a complaint. The TTC is short drivers as is, they won't care if a driver stops for a coffee or stops and does cartwheels on the Don Valley. I have seen lots of divers over the years stop for coffee/ food and even pick up lottery tickets. I would imagine the TTC gets hundreds of complaints a day for drivers doing that. But nothing happens, that's why drivers do it.

Complete waste of time filing a complaint. The TTC is short drivers as is, they won't care if a driver stops for a coffee or stops and does cartwheels on the Don Valley. I have seen lots of divers over the years stop for coffee/ food and even pick up lottery tickets. I would imagine the TTC gets hundreds of complaints a day for drivers doing that. But nothing happens, that's why divers do it.

I would not have asked for input if MY complaint would disappear.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

I've settled on @KevinT 's idea, as supported by @PinkLucy

Back