News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I read "Rehabilitation of open cut ballasted track" to mean just that - rehabilitation. New ties, new ballast, whatever is needed. I don't see that as retrofitting it to Direct Fixation, especially since they used very different language - and in fact, those exact terms - in the point immediately above it.

Dan

A fair interpretation. I took Steve's writing to suggest otherwise; but perhaps that's a mis-read on my part.

Update on the West Rouge Automated Shuttle:

Thank you for your ongoing interest in the West Rouge Automated Shuttle Trial. This message is to provide an update on the status of the Trial.

The West Rouge Automated Shuttle Trial has not yet launched public service. The project partners – City of Toronto, TTC and Metrolinx – are aware that a similar automated shuttle was involved in a collision in Whitby on December 16 and wish a full and speedy recovery to the injured safety attendant.

The temporary service in Toronto is trialing a newer generation of the same automated shuttle used in the Whitby Autonomous Vehicle Electric Shuttle Project and which is owned by the same service supplier. Due to this similarity, the West Rouge Automated Shuttle Trial has been put on hold until further notice.

In addition, the Trial’s project partners continue to monitor the public health guidance in light of the changing COVID-19 situation and due to the limited size of the shuttle’s passenger cabin
This might pose another problem for the trial:

Crowdsourcing automaker Local Motors will cease operations this Friday, according to employees, TechCrunch reports. The company has not yet officially announced its imminent demise, though its reactions from its workforce have already appeared on LinkedIn.

“As with most adventures, they must come to an end,” Jeff Hollowell, Local Motors VP of information technology, wrote on Thursday. “Local Motors has closed its doors. It has been an exciting, challenging, and educational experience working with Olli and all the team at Local Motors. I was fortunate to work with amazing individuals and help build what others said could not be done! I’ve been able to grow as a leader and learn new skills that I now take to my next path forward. Thanks to all the team members and partners that I was able to work with. The time spent was well worth the effort.”

I’ve been able to grow as a leader and learn new skills that I now take to my next path forward.
That comment seems incredibly tone-deaf on the CEO's part. He shouldn't be talking about his path forward: he should be talking about the employees... Or, if he doesn't care - don't say anything at all.

*partial cross post to 839 Yonge thread for relevant bit*

Reading over Steve Munro's latest on the TTC Capital budget, here:

Saw a slide which is either new to me; or I overlooked in the earlier paperwork bomb in December..........

View attachment 374419

Under Guideway Enhancement.....

You'll notice a plan for a siding, 3rd track between Bloor-Yonge and Rosedale. Not sure of the length and exact location, but one would assume this would be in the 'open cut'.......

Also of of note is a move to replace all ballasted track with concrete slab base.

One other thing....make note of those delivery dates for the projects in the box on the left....
VMC Tail track: 217 million dollars?

That's more expensive than Downsview Park Station....the entire station.

Okay, the TTC reduced service because of COVID-19. That's alright. I can look up on a transit app to see when the next bus arrives. I'll leave home 5 minutes before and only wait a couple of minutes.

WRONG!

As a regular TTC user, it bugs me that the transit apps are inaccurate. Comparing the arrival time of buses on several apps, they tell me that a bus will arrive in a couple of minutes. The minutes passes and still no bus. The apps get refreshed, and one says a bus will come in 12 minutes, while the other says 15 minutes. 8 minutes later a bus arrives, but did not appear in the app.

It’s forecast that tonight and likely later in the month that the temperatures in Toronto will be around -20°C. It would be nice if the transit app information being given out is accurate. Don’t want to step outside expecting the next vehicle will be coming in a couple of freezing minutes, instead of turning into icicles for 20+ minutes.

Could this be a result of a COVID-19 virus infecting the apps? Are the times “suggested” arrival times only, since they don’t seem to be real time.

Reactions: PL1
Use on of the ones that show where the buses are in real time. Sometimes the locations are correct, but predictions are wonky (for example thinking a vehicle is driving in the opposite direction). Or there's a detour that you can only see on the map.

Okay, the TTC reduced service because of COVID-19. That's alright. I can look up on a transit app to see when the next bus arrives. I'll leave home 5 minutes before and only wait a couple of minutes.

WRONG!

As a regular TTC user, it bugs me that the transit apps are inaccurate. Comparing the arrival time of buses on several apps, they tell me that a bus will arrive in a couple of minutes. The minutes passes and still no bus. The apps get refreshed, and one says a bus will come in 12 minutes, while the other says 15 minutes. 8 minutes later a bus arrives, but did not appear in the app.

It’s forecast that tonight and likely later in the month that the temperatures in Toronto will be around -20°C. It would be nice if the transit app information being given out is accurate. Don’t want to step outside expecting the next vehicle will be coming in a couple of freezing minutes, instead of turning into icicles for 20+ minutes.

Could this be a result of a COVID-19 virus infecting the apps? Are the times “suggested” arrival times only, since they don’t seem to be real time.

Just today, I used 'Next Bus' to predict when my next bus would be here. I always open the map function in addition to the predicted time.

The prediction said 27M on an every 10M route ................the Map showed a bus at a point where I know that makes no sense, it couldn't have been more than 15M tops........

I left it open and made sure I was ready to go..........

Refreshed it.........

The 27 inched down to 25, then suddenly plunged to 15M w/no change in bus position............

By this time I know its not more than 13M out, and probably less.......

2M later, it drops from 13M to 8M...........

At which point I head out the door....

There is something wonky w/the prediction software, it simply isn't very good.

On my way home, I get to the station, and the bus stop, initially it says 7M............then suddenly jumps to 20M

I know exactly what that is.............

The bus is on the other side of the station, parked; when the driver logs out and turns the bus off; it loses its tracking spot.........

So I knew it would still be 7M +/- 2

It was.............the driver turned it back on........and the time re-set......

This is a serious flaw in the tracking software.

Screenshot_20220115-082030.jpg

😱This was supposed to be done last year.

Just today, I used 'Next Bus' to predict when my next bus would be here. I always open the map function in addition to the predicted time.

The prediction said 27M on an every 10M route ................the Map showed a bus at a point where I know that makes no sense, it couldn't have been more than 15M tops........

I left it open and made sure I was ready to go..........

Refreshed it.........

The 27 inched down to 25, then suddenly plunged to 15M w/no change in bus position............

By this time I know its not more than 13M out, and probably less.......

2M later, it drops from 13M to 8M...........

At which point I head out the door....

There is something wonky w/the prediction software, it simply isn't very good.

On my way home, I get to the station, and the bus stop, initially it says 7M............then suddenly jumps to 20M

I know exactly what that is.............

The bus is on the other side of the station, parked; when the driver logs out and turns the bus off; it loses its tracking spot.........

So I knew it would still be 7M +/- 2

It was.............the driver turned it back on........and the time re-set......

This is a serious flaw in the tracking software.
The "NextBus" app was founded in 1997, in the USA. The "Transit" app was released in 2012, in Montreal.

We would have hoped that the "bugs" would have been by now.

WRONG!

I was at Warden Station earlier catching the 17 Birchmount. The sign showed 5 minutes, due and then 16 minutes all without a bus showing up in the bay until the end of the 16 minutes.

There have been mornings where I have walked from my street to St Clair because the bus says 16 minutes only to have it blow past me walking down the street.

I have no faith in the apps right now.

Trannsee is no different. I just went out to catch a 332 earlier, and the bus was supposedly two minutes away, and two minutes away, and seconds away, where it disappeared and also supposedly made a detour (collision-related) from a vantage point where I could have told myself it was doing or did, if only the bus was there to do it. And when it's -14 + windchill, you're definitely staring for any approaching blue lights, no matter how far. And instead of being on the route somewhere west of Yonge, it was then near Bayview. For what? We don't know. Then Black Creek by the time the tweet came out for said detour.

I think this may be more of a Vision / GPS and calibration, scheduled data / TTC ops thing and not necessarily the app, as all the info is pulled from their feeds (or whatever proper name it's called).

Just my $2.59 on the matter.

Trannsee is no different. I just went out to catch a 332 earlier, and the bus was supposedly two minutes away, and two minutes away, and seconds away, where it disappeared and also supposedly made a detour (collision-related) from a vantage point where I could have told myself it was doing or did, if only the bus was there to do it. And when it's -14 + windchill, you're definitely staring for any approaching blue lights, no matter how far. And instead of being on the route somewhere west of Yonge, it was then near Bayview. For what? We don't know. Then Black Creek by the time the tweet came out for said detour.

I think this may be more of a Vision / GPS and calibration, scheduled data / TTC ops thing and not necessarily the app, as all the info is pulled from their feeds (or whatever proper name it's called).

Just my $2.59 on the matter.
Next Bus has been giving me a blank screen for months.

All apps for Mississauga miss the mark by saying X time to only have the bus show up 5+ sooner to 15 minutes later.

One app still had buses going to/from Islington 3 months after the move that I remove it.

Very few apps or notice of arrival time in NA miss the mark compare to Europe where they can get it down to seconds.

Tall buildings can cause issues.

At this time a year, you don't want to spend time outside waiting for X to arrive at z, only to show up at y.

Even the GPS on cameras have their issues as well, to the point the location is off by a mile or fail. Shot some photos yesterday on a clear day outside the city that the first few shots have no location considering I spent a few minutes walking to the location with the camera on.

Back