News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 461     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Knowing the end of Mississauga using Islington Bus Terminal was to happen, I decided to shoot both bus action and the terminal since the terminal now can be torn down as plan back in 2008.

This one of 2 remaining terminal that are not accessible and have to be by 2025 one way or another. Also the city plan to build affordable housing on all of TTC property except where Hydro One Corridor is next to CP Rail corridor.

Fast Trip

Knowing the end of Mississauga using Islington Bus Terminal was to happen, I decided to shoot both bus action and the terminal since the terminal now can be torn down as plan back in 2008.

This one of 2 remaining terminal that are not accessible and have to be by 2025 one way or another. Also the city plan to build affordable housing on all of TTC property except where Hydro One Corridor is next to CP Rail corridor.

Fast Trip

I thought Miway was no longer serving Islington?

There's a huge difference between the TTC and the MTR. TTC runs buses trains and subway while the MTR primary operates subways, electric rail and a smaller scale light rail system. Unlike cities like NYC or Paris where there are multiple lines running in parallel within a walkable distance, MTR only have a line where millions of riders would funnel into a nearby station. There's no duplication of service. They simply don't have anything like an U on Yonge and University or in Montreal where the Orange and Green line serves the downtown. That would eliminate extra maintenance and operating cost. They rely on longer trains and better line management. Hong Kong doesn't really have any "suburbs" either. Everywhere the subway reaches is developed into a smaller city core with a decent density. So it's not possible to clone their system and expect it to work here. HK is so gridlocked and pretty much impossible to own a car, everyone would either resort to the subway or be late. Manhattan have similar gridlock issues thus they have ridership on their subway. The issue is too many old and low capacity lines.

It's also good to note that MTR is a much newer system than the TTC but the original lines are reaching 40 years old and reliability is degrading. Being privately operated, of course they are taking better action than the TTC. I think in 20-30 years, they would see more reliability issues as tunnels reach 50-60 years old. Subways don't last 100 years Robbie!
Another way to put it: because they (MTR) are privately operated and being a monopoly on rapid transit, they are more incline on being "budget conscious". Depends where you read, the effects of that are already happening.

I thought Miway was no longer serving Islington?
As of Jan 04, miWay Route 26 still service Islington as on street service only in both direction. It doesn't enter TTC terminal at all. Have said that, I have a video of my first trip from the Hub to Aukland and it shows 2 express bus heading toward Islington and no idea what route they were on. Express buses these days are also use on local route due to lack of local buses since they are only be order this year and buses entering their 19 year of service, not the nominal 15 years. This video was shot on Dec 31.

Last edited:
As of Jan 04, miWay Route 26 still service Islington as on street service only in both direction. It doesn't enter TTC terminal at all. Have said that, I have a video of my first trip from the Hub to Aukland and it shows 2 express bus heading toward Islington and no idea what route they were on. Express buses these days are also use on local route due to lack of local buses since they are only be order this year and buses entering their 19 year of service, not the nominal 15 years.

Ah ok. I thought I saw Miway buses in Islington Stations terminal in one of your videos.

Thanks Drum!

Wandering about today I walked past the Birchmount Emergency Exit. Not much to look at but here you go!

20210108_142227.jpg
20210108_142142.jpg

This is interesting. The 53B will directly serve the new Amazon Fulfillment Centre on Steeles Ave. E via Passmore starting January 11. Additionally, there will be extra service on the 353 to serve early morning trips to the facility.
1610248146096.png

You can see the Morningside Ave. Extension! (Street View, Oct. 2020)
1610248249568.png

Attachments

• 1610247952143.png
    1610247952143.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
This is interesting. The 53B will directly serve the new Amazon Fulfillment Centre on Steeles Ave. E via Passmore starting January 11. Additionally, there will be extra service on the 353 to serve early morning trips to the facility.
View attachment 293348

You can see the Morningside Ave. Extension! (Street View, Oct. 2020)
View attachment 293349
TTC: We provide direct service to the Amazon Fulfillment Centre in Scarborough for the same reason the UPS Customer Centre (which is a warehouse) is next door to Pioneer Village station.

The amount of disgusting things i've seen happen on the front-to-back facing seats, would make most people never want to sit in those seats again. Part of the reason i never wanted the TTC to go with that arrangement in the first place, but here we are.

Back