News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The report title indicates this work will "Extend Bicycle Lanes" and maybe I'm missing something but I don't see that the lanes on the Queensway are being extended to the lanes on Roncesvalles.

They're not.

From the report:

Extension of the dedicated eastbound bicycle lane on The Queensway to Glendale Avenue

That's the only extension of a bike lane in this report.

There are some other cycling infrastructure improvements though.

The Roncy raised streetcar platforms, w/cycling integration will be introduced further south on Roncy, and at a new stop on Queen just east of the intersection.

The new Queen St. platform can be seen in this diagram:

1583336755310.png

The new Roncy platforms are below:

1583336850067.png

Can we fix Toronto’s transit by 2030? With an expected population of 8 million, experts say it’s already too late

The problem is with anti-transit politicians and bureaucrats at both city hall and Queen's Park who keep underfunding the TTC, deferring repairs and upgrades, and delaying tactics on transit projects they don't support.

As a young professional, I am curious where would you suggest going.

Hamilton? Mississauga? Kitchener-Waterloo? Beyond?

Needs to be a market that has significant employment.

With telecommuting becoming more of an option, it will start being more attractive, even if you have to come into the office once or twice a week.

For one or two (assuming a 'family unit') looking for one or two jobs, an area with significant employment is an area with one or two job openings.

In 2004 I moved my young family to Fredericton, NB. I was a sales director for a Toronto based food giant and thought I’d try the same with a similar firm in NB. We bought a four bedroom house for $192K. We came back to Toronto several years later, again for work, but I wouldn’t have if I didn’t already own a home in Toronto to move back into. Otherwise I’d have moved to NS or perhaps SK, or PEI, maybe the US, or back to England. If you’re a good sales person you can live and work anywhere.

You’re doing it backwards. You don’t want markets with “significant employment”. You want markets with significant unfulfilled demand for employment. That’s how you negotiate, from a position of strength. This is a huge and beautiful country, there’s no reason to stay in the GTA. Do you think your ancestors stayed where they were because of closeness to family or roots? No they emigrated to where the opportunities were, leaving old ties and bonds behind. That’s what my family did in the 1970s, fleeing the UK with my two brothers and me in tow. I expect my children will do the same if the GTA doesn’t present them with opportunity.

Last edited:

Back