News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 788     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Until TTC has 2-3 Elevators per stations, accessibility users will be screw when the only elevator is out of service for 6 months or more. A Number of stations have room to put in a ramp in place of elevators. I expect to see a number of law suites file after 2026 when the drop dead date take place for accessibility. This also applies to GO/Metrolinx and all transit systems under province control.

As for the terminated TTC worker, unless they been warn and a letter on file with HR, they will be back on the job soon.

Homeless is a problem on transit systems with a fair number haven't seen a bath in months nor their cloths wash to the point the smell is over powering. Then you have people who buy food and bring it onto the bus that the bus driver has to open all the windows as well open all the doors at each stop until they are to move. When this person bought this food onto the bus, riders started to get off and wait for the next bus and a good thing it was a short trip for me, otherwise I would had got off as well.

Last edited:
.. does anyone know why they elected to put a concrete bunker in dupont? The elevators are north of the gates and I dont see why it would be needed for elevator reasons.

I was on the subway last night heading to Finch. The train signs on the side windows and the announcements when the doors opened at all stations said "Line 1 to Vaughan" I assume the two are connected but did the driver forget to change it or does it come from transit control?

I was on the subway last night heading to Finch. The train signs on the side windows and the announcements when the doors opened at all stations said "Line 1 to Vaughan" I assume the two are connected but did the driver forget to change it or does it come from transit control?

I'm not sure they are connected. I've seen the signs and the announcements conflict with each other before, ie. "line one to Vaughan" announced correctly, but "Line 1 to Finch" on the sign.

So the TTC has a bit of a shitty problem on Line 2.

Piecing together the first hand reports on social media, it appears that there is a female passenger that rides Line 2 daily, while carrying a literal bag of shit with her. The stench is so unbearable that all other passengers are forced to evacuate the car. There are some videos on social media of an entire car of passengers running out the train to get away from her; that stench is surely a lot more than some bad B.O.. It appears that she's been doing this daily for the past week or so, judging by the very similar sounding anecdotal reports I've seen consistently pop up on social media all week,

Early yesterday morning, a TTC operator made a P.A. announcement "shaming" the person for stinking (that's the word the news media is using), and the operator has apparently been terminated from the TTC. See CBC article here.

Personally, the operator getting terminated doesn't sit right with me, at all. I have nothing wrong with homeless people using transit, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. You absolutely cannot be riding public transit with a literal bag of shit on you. That's not just offensive to passenger comfort anymore, but rather a genuine health and safety concern. Hopefully the union can help this guy out

The one day i could smell it in the station, it was so vile i almost puked. i thought a pipe carrying raw sewage leaked in the station. Then my friend told me about this poor human being that is carrying around bags/containers of rotting human feces ?

I really hope this person gets mental health help ASP. It's heartbreaking to hear stories like this.

I'm not sure they are connected. I've seen the signs and the announcements conflict with each other before, ie. "line one to Vaughan" announced correctly, but "Line 1 to Finch"
My take here is that while termination is heavy-handed, and some form of intervention was called for; an announcement, shaming a person; one who may well be mentally ill, and is otherwise desperate was not a particularly wise, kind or helpful choice.

I advocated before, I do so again, that the TTC needs to have an intervention team, a social worker and a mental health professional who can respond in such situations.

The focus should ideally be on 'offering assistance' and voluntary cooperation, with some level of 'compelled' eviction as a last resort.

There is no doubt the current situation isn't acceptable. But the means to address it is through compassion; not derision.

The problem is the TTC is lawsuit adverse. They prefer to do nothing rather than have to deal with the hundreds of whackadoodles that come out of the woodwork in defense of the person causing the problem. Even though the TTC did the right thing, there are still people out there that in their mind believe the TTC Is wrong and deserves to be punished.

If the TTC removes the foul smelling individual they would likely have a media circus with lawyers lining up to file human rights complaints on behalf of the individual. You would get everyone bashing the TTC for being heavy handed and violating a persons human rights. Even if the person smelled like death warmed over there are still more than a few activists that would feel sorry for the individual and sue the TTC.

It is the same reason they do not have any information on the Presto readers. The TTC would rather have no information on the readers than get sued for privacy violations of being inconsiderate to the blind. Again, there are whackadoodles out there that have nothing better to do than complain about every injustice they perceive to exist. There are also lawyers and activists out there who would do anything to have their 15 minutes of fame (think BLM).

With that being said, this is not a new issue to the TTC. There have been people in the east end for years that travel between TTC stations with carts full of recycling. They dig through the garbage cans in the TTC stations to look for recycling to collect and/or sell. There is one woman who goes to the subway stations every night collecting cans. She has it down to a science with gloves, bags and even the little grab arms to pick the cans from the trash.

My point is, the TTC has to grow a set and do what is right for the people who pay to ride the system. Yes there are people with nowhere else to go and you cannot just drag them out by force but at the same time they need proper assistance that the TTC cannot provide. There needs to be a mental health intervention team to assist these individuals rather than just let them be.

As someone said, their living conditions can be less than perfect and as such riding the system all day can present bed-bug issues. I doubt these individuals are sleeping on clean mattresses with clean sheets. If they are not properly cleaning themselves, they could be festering disease that causes problems for other riders.

Improper hygiene is what caused various outbreaks over the years like the plague in London.

TTC By-Law #1 seems quite clear and could undoubtedly be used to exclude this person.

3.24 No person, unless otherwise authorized, shall loiter in or on TTC property.

3.25 No person shall cause a disturbance or act contrary to the public peace on TTC property, including but not limited to:

a) urinating, expectorating or defecating, except in facilities specifically intended for such actions;

b) using profane, insulting or obscene language or gestures;

c) behaving in an indecent or offensive manner;

d) shining any type of light at an operator of a TTC vehicle or any other passenger;

e) fighting; or

f) behaving in a manner which would interfere with the ordinary enjoyment of persons using the transit system.

Last edited:
TTC has drop off rails for the 3rd track at Kipling as well a stack of ties.

I'm not sure they are connected. I've seen the signs and the announcements conflict with each other before, ie. "line one to Vaughan" announced correctly, but "Line 1 to Finch" on the sign.

The side signs are independent of all of the other audio and visual signage within the vehicles and are supposed to be set by the crew upon that trains entry into service. As well, they only have limited options that they can display.

Dan

I know I'm quoting myself, but you can even smell her from the food vendors in the pedestrian passage between College Park and the subway. I'd have to think they would be calling the TTC to do something, but pretty much every time I go through, she's there. My point is that I think it's impossible the TTC isn't aware of the problem, they just don't really want to deal with it.
I am glad someone else has noticed. It's not like these individuals aren't known to the TTC, or social services. The individual you speak of is not the only person, there's a few and they have been there for the greater part of the past decade, perhaps longer. I think College Station has the most acute issues with the residentially impaired of all the stations that I frequent.

The stench at College Station is particularly horrendous, I am surprised any food vendor agreed to locate there after one simple pass through the station.

I am glad someone else has noticed. It's not like these individuals aren't known to the TTC, or social services. The individual you speak of is not the only person, there's a few and they have been there for the greater part of the past decade, perhaps longer. I think College Station has the most acute issues with the residentially impaired of all the stations that I frequent.

The stench at College Station is particularly horrendous, I am surprised any food vendor agreed to locate there after one simple pass through the station.
The College Park food court is popular with Ryerson students.

One Chinese food vendor (Duck) has (comparatively) inexpensive Peking duck and another (China King) sells fried rice that rivals the more upscale Chinese restaurants. Both Duck and China King are cash-only.

The College Park food court is popular with Ryerson students.

One Chinese food vendor (Duck) has inexpensive Peking duck and another (China King) sells fried rice that rivals the more upscale Chinese restaurants.

College Park is not THAT funky.. Old Mill in the spring has a musky odor wafting in from the humber.

Back