News   Apr 24, 2024
 220     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 427     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 466     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Rail Futures Institute is a rail / PT lobby group and part of its plans components appear to be embraced by the state government and other parts ignored. Classic case is the low-balling light-rail non-radial connections have been gazumped by the state government's heavy rail / mostly underground Suburban Rail Loop. Just yesterday the authority which will carry out the work was established and geotechnical investigations have kicked off on the first phase. Heaps more info on SRL is in this thread.

RFI's plans started with looking at possibilities for an airport rail link which a private-led proposal appears to have leaned heavily upon and the business cases/reference designs for the Airport Rail Link are already funded and underway too.

There is once again a westbound stop for the 504 at York now. You would not know this from the drivers on the short-turn 504s who tell you that you have to exit at Bay Street and transfer to another streetcar there to continue west.

It's amusing seeing late millennial migrants from ROC on Twitter defending the King Street closure by noting that TIFF has been on King Street for 33 years now and it shouldn't have to move.

Streetcar track replacement and City infrastructure upgrades to impact service in the Beaches

September 6, 2019

The TTC is reminding customers that starting tomorrow, Sat., Sept. 7, the intersection of Queen St. E., Eastern Ave. and Kingston Rd. will be fully closed until early November as the TTC and the City of Toronto complete important state-of-good-repairs to streetcar and other transportation infrastructure.

This work will replace streetcar tracks, upgrade overhead streetcar wires and make the eastbound streetcar platform accessible, as well as make other improvements to the road and sidewalk.

During the full intersection closure, the following TTC diversions will be in effect:

22/322 Coxwell: buses will divert both ways; Coxwell Ave., Queen St., through the Queen/Coxwell Loop, Dundas St. and Kingston Rd. to route.

143 Downtown/Beach Express: buses will divert both ways; Queen St., Woodbine Ave., Lake Shore Blvd. and Parliament St. to downtown routing.

301R Queen: buses will divert both ways; Queen St., Coxwell Ave., Lake Shore Blvd., Woodbine Ave. and Queen St.

301 Queen night streetcar will connect with 301R Queen night buses at Greenwood Ave. and Queen St. E. in both directions.
501/501A Queen streetcars and 301 Queen night streetcars will operate as far east as TTC's Russell Yard (located west of Coxwell Ave.)

501R Queen: buses will divert both ways; Queen St., Coxwell Ave., Lake Shore Blvd., Woodbine Ave. and Queen St. and operate between Neville Park Loop and River St. (Queen/King junction). Customers can connect with streetcars at Queen St. E. and Greenwood Ave. or continue to Broadview Ave.

502 Downtowner weekday service will not operate during construction. Service will be consolidated with the 503 Kingston Rd route.

503 Kingston Rd: buses will divert both ways; Kingston Rd., Dundas St., Coxwell Ave. and Queen St.

Signs will be posted in the area to help manage traffic and ensure the safe travel of all local TTC customers, road users, pedestrians and cyclists.

Work on this project will take place 24 hours a day, seven days a week to complete construction as quickly as possible. The most disruptive construction activities, such as breaking concrete, will occur at various times throughout the day and end by 11 p.m. The TTC thanks its customers and local residents for their patience throughout the construction.

I see where TTC got the idea of doing St Clair W station loop overhead. The idea came from Ottawa system and could have come from somewhere else, but all of Ottawa stations underground and tunnels have the I beam. Even though the ceilings are high for the underground stations, they used the I beam system as well long hangers for it. See nothing wrong with it.

I see where TTC got the idea of doing St Clair W station loop overhead. The idea came from Ottawa system and could have come from somewhere else, but all of Ottawa stations underground and tunnels have the I beam. Even though the ceilings are high for the underground stations, they used the I beam system as well long hangers for it. See nothing wrong with it.
A lot of systems in the rest of the world use I Beams for narrow clearance tunnels. I was just in Japan and I saw them in use in Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, Yokohama (Minatomirai), and Nagoya. I presume there's less wear because it's fixed.

A lot of systems in the rest of the world use I Beams for narrow clearance tunnels. I was just in Japan and I saw them in use in Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, Yokohama (Minatomirai), and Nagoya. I presume there's less wear because it's fixed.
The ones I have seen so far don't have them and why I stated the could have come from where else beside Ottawa. Since there is a wire at the bottom, could put a grove in the pans. One reason why wire systems must be stagger.

Again, another system example of using a single bore in place of the current 2 bore for TTC twin tunnels.

Might as well put in an order for 130 now.

I'd say we might be looking at extended the CLRV's for now, but the current TTC CEO hates streetcars, so we will probably see buses on the 505 indefinitely instead.

Considering both him and DOFO hate streetcars, I can bet we will never get new streetcars. Just buses slowly replacing demand.

I'd say we might be looking at extended the CLRV's for now, but the current TTC CEO hates streetcars, so we will probably see buses on the 505 indefinitely instead.

Considering both him and DOFO hate streetcars, I can bet we will never get new streetcars. Just buses slowly replacing demand.
Isn't the current TTC CEO from Boston? Streetcars should be nothing new to him.

Why do you say that the current CEO "hates streetcars"??

Just because someone is from a city with streetcars doesn't mean that person is particularly fond of them. Remember, they tried to get rid of the Mattapan trolley and have been restricting Green Line service for years. The only extension to that line is being trenched (it's pretty much a subway).

He is a bus person and doesn't support streetcars. He is not the only GM who doesn't support streetcars even if they are part of the system they run.

Back