News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 538     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TIFF screwing downtown again. The worst part isn't even the planned diversions, it's after the first weekend where they open up King Street but then have ad-hoc shutdowns of the street for "red carpet events" seemingly on the whims of the TIFF staff, with no predictability or notice to anyone. I was caught up in one last year where there was no information or anyone present on site to explain that at 5:00 p.m. on a Monday the 504 was suddenly gone from service. In minutes there were over 100 people waiting at University avenue for the next eastbound car.

Last edited:
TIFF screwing downtown again. The worst part isn't even the planned diversions, it's after the first weekend where they open up King Street but then have ad-hoc shutdowns of of the street for "red carpet events" seemingly on the whims of the TIFF staff, with have no predictability or notice to anyone. I was caught up in one last year where there was no information or anyone present on site to explain that at 5:00 p.m. on a Monday the 504 was suddenly gone from service. In minutes there were over 100 people waiting at University avenue for the next eastbound car.

What if the participates decide to arrive by streetcar? No, the rules say...

TIFF screwing downtown again. The worst part isn't even the planned diversions, it's after the first weekend where they open up King Street but then have ad-hoc shutdowns of the street for "red carpet events" seemingly on the whims of the TIFF staff, with have no predictability or notice to anyone. I was caught up in one last year where there was no information or anyone present on site to explain that at 5:00 p.m. on a Monday the 504 was suddenly gone from service. In minutes there were over 100 people waiting at University avenue for the next eastbound car.
I had the same experience last year when on an eastbound streetcar. The operator kept getting instructions which changed. "Go via the diversion." No, King is opening again", "No, use the diversion". I finally walked,

Well that sucks!

Note: I went southbound and noted there was a train going North not far along. So I think the estimated time on the screen is just wrong.

General Message
Due to issues at Islington Subway station, station is closed. Buses will drop off on Islington Ave, passengers will be picked up at Green Lanes.

Water main broken.

See no TTC alert for the station

Could be wrong but pretty sure it says "Line 4 *to* Don Mills" whereas on Line 1 we have "Line 1 *towards* Finch" sure it's a nitpick but, who is surprised the TTC can't operate a massive underground rail network when they can't even make the signs on two trains the same.

It's "towards" on Line 1 because of the possibility of short turns, and it's "to" on line 3/4 because it's highly unlikely/impossible for those trains to short turn.

It's "towards" on Line 1 because of the possibility of short turns, and it's "to" on line 3/4 because it's highly unlikely/impossible for those trains to short turn.
Well than that is another deficiency.
The signage on the platform already indicates where the train is headed towards. Signage on the train is only useful if it tells you where it is heading to.

For locals these are completely useless at best, or misleading at worst (if they aren't changed after turnaround).

In theory for visitors they provide a bit of reassurance, I guess.

The signage on the platform already indicates where the train is headed towards. Signage on the train is only useful if it tells you where it is heading to.

The platform signage/Onestop screens do display the destination of the train as it enters that station, insofar as the train is operating as per its schedule. It pulls the codes from the dispatching system.

Dan

The platform signage/Onestop screens do display the destination of the train as it enters that station, insofar as the train is operating as per its schedule. It pulls the codes from the dispatching system.

Dan

Not always. I occasionally see an OOS train deadhead through St George while the display says Southbound to Finch on the onestop signs. The trains themselves said OOS.

Not always. I occasionally see an OOS train deadhead through St George while the display says Southbound to Finch on the onestop signs. The trains themselves said OOS.

That's why I said "insofar as the train is operating as per its schedule". If the train is a scheduled deadhead or short turn, the system will display it's destination, or the fact that it's out of service. If the train is unscheduled, than the system won't know any better - unless someone at control decided to attach the appropriate code to it, which is rare.

Dan

From CP24.
Signs promoting the more widespread sale of beer have popped up at some Gateway convenience kiosks in TTC stations, begging the question of whether beer sales could be coming to the subway system.

The posters, which read “Want Beer, Sign Here,” have been created by the group Choice and Fairness.

According to its website, the group is made up of a number of industry stakeholders and consumer associations that are working in partnership with the Government of Ontario to expand the sale of beer, wine and cider.

Anyone have a photo of one of these?

Awesome, pop open a cold one on the commute home. (and yes, I know it happens on GO, particularly on Friday homeward bound commutes, but it's relatively subtle)

Awesome, pop open a cold one on the commute home. (and yes, I know it happens on GO, particularly on Friday homeward bound commutes, but it's relatively subtle)

Weekday GO commuters know how to do it with class. The weekend riders on the other hand--especially when there's a TFC game--well, beer is the least of the worries.

Back