News   Apr 25, 2024
 107     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Sometimes I think the TTC goes out of their way to do intentionally bad UI/UX.
Well you're not wrong on this point, after all it was a student working at the TTC who came up with the idea to change the bottom of the Onestop displays to show the subway line roundel with destination information. Because of his genius, we're not stuck seeing: "Next train...5 mins" or "Next train...in the station".

Could be wrong but pretty sure it says "Line 4 *to* Don Mills" whereas on Line 1 we have "Line 1 *towards* Finch" sure it's a nitpick but, who is surprised the TTC can't operate a massive underground rail network when they can't even make the signs on two trains the same.

That's one of the ways how they hope to get around the wording of the AODA without having to totally re-engineer the system.

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing how screwed up the destination signs will get when there are short turns!

The side signs are pretty fixed in what they are capable of - they aren't able to display short turn destinations.

Dan

The side signs are pretty fixed in what they are capable of - they aren't able to display short turn destinations.

Dan

I can (maybe) understand why the side-signs cannot be changed en route to deal with an unexpected/un-planned short turn but surely they can be programed to show the planned/scheduled destination station? If not, why bother?

I can (maybe) understand why the side-signs cannot be changed en route to deal with an unexpected/un-planned short turn but surely they can be programed to show the planned/scheduled destination station? If not, why bother?

They can and they do - to an extent.

The signs are operated by a 4-position switch. My understanding is that on the YUS, the 4 positions are:
Off
Finch
Vaughan
Glencairn

And that's it. They're not capable of displaying anything else. Which is why there was the concern about the AODA, and the fact that the signs are capable of broadcasting incorrect information.

Dan

Why the TTC was dumb enough in the first place to sign off on a limited capability side destination system is beyond me. I mean, did they not know that they have other locations where trains short-turn on the off occasion (ie: Lawrence, Union, St.Clair)?

This whole situation is akin to having streetcars with limited side destination programming. No wonder people always wonder if the people who run the TTC are even educated.

Why the TTC was dumb enough in the first place to sign off on a limited capability side destination system is beyond me. I mean, did they not know that they have other locations where trains short-turn on the off occasion (ie: Lawrence, Union, St.Clair)?

This whole situation is akin to having streetcars with limited side destination programming. No wonder people always wonder if the people who run the TTC are even educated.
It may have to do with cost saving measures and the limited customizability of the Bombardier TR trains.

That's a good question, and one that I'm still trying to get the answer to. In hindsight, the smartest option would have been to get Bombardier to install the side signs and tie them into TIMS (onboard sign display system) so that they all show the same thing at the same time. But again, it is possible that they didn't like the price that Bombardier quoted and tried to do their own thing.

But the system that they've gone with seems particularly hokey, and frankly it amazes me that it managed to get as far as it did without anyone going to ACAT and asking "will this work?". Or hell, even the TTC's own legal department, for that matter.

Uhhh, what now? The side signs of the streetcars are perfectly capable of displaying everything that the front ones do. They just have fewer pixels to do it with.

Dan

Uhhh, what now? The side signs of the streetcars are perfectly capable of displaying everything that the front ones do. They just have fewer pixels to do it with.
I should've been more clear with that. I meant to say that the current asinine situation with the TR side destination signs would be equivalent to having new streetcars where their side destination displays couldn't display the proper terminus of a route, while the front destination sign could.

I'm well aware that the destination signs on the Flexities are perfectly fine.

Oops.

I should've been more clear with that. I meant to say that the current asinine situation with the TR side destination signs would be equivalent to having new streetcars where their side destination displays couldn't display the proper terminus of a route, while the front destination sign could.

I'm well aware that the destination signs on the Flexities are perfectly fine.

Ahhh, I see what you're getting at.

Although I would suggest that a closer comparison would be a situation where the Flexities didn't come with side signs at all. Which I think we can all agree would be spectacularly asinine.

Dan

Last edited:
Just a reminder that no one has perfect service. The below is from an article on the NYC transit system

"New York has one of the most expansive and comprehensive public transit systems in the world. But that doesn't mean it works flawlessly.
If you take the subway on a regular basis, it's easy to feel as though there's always something wrong. One day, you're waiting 20-plus minutes on the platform, the next, you're stuck in a tunnel, and the next your stop is mysteriously skipped, or perhaps the train line you need stopped working altogether that day.
Then there are issues with MetroCard vending machines. On many occasions I've been faced with machines that have only taken cash or only taken credit cards, or had the audacity to take my money, but not fill my card with any credit.
At least there's always the bus. Unfortunately, while buses have gotten better at sticking to a schedule, they are are far from perfect, and it could easily take an hour or more to get to your destination."

Back