News   Apr 16, 2024
 45     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 681     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

No. The 193 Exhibition Rocket ran for years from Dundas West to the Dufferin Gates non-stop.

See here: https://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/routes/193-exhibition.shtml

Prior to 2002 it was the 93 Exhibition West Rocket.
Yeah I just looked it up and it hasn't run since 2017 and was removed from the rebranding list for the express bus routes. The reasoning is that Dufferin sation is accessable now and they have a bus from there head down, plus they also have the 504 B king car heading into the Dufferin loop too now on a daily basis.

I thought it was allowed for use on dogs?

I don't know the precise wording of the law, but you can buy "bear repellent" at Canadian Tire, and it is even available online for anyone to buy. It is not a "controlled substance" the way people normally use that term, like drugs. It is simply advertised as "use restricted," but anyone can buy it and use it for repelling bears, or for other situations both quasi-legal (emergency self-defence), and illegal.

To offer details to the above discussion.

Pepper spray designed to be used against people is considered a prohibited weapon in Canada. The definition under regulation states "any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person by the discharge therefrom of (a) tear gas, Mace or other gas, or (b) any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person" is a prohibited weapon.[51]

Only law enforcement officers may legally carry or possess pepper spray labeled for use on persons. Any similar canister with the labels reading "dog spray" or "bear spray" is regulated under the Pest Control Products Act—while legal to be carried by anyone, it is against the law if its use causes "a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person" or harming the environment and carries a penalty up to a fine of $500,000 and jail time of maximum 3 years.[52] Carrying bear spray in public, without justification, may also lead to charges under the Criminal Code.[53]

From a toronto legal website: www.torontodefencelawyers.com

Link here: https://www.torontodefencelawyers.com/blog/general-category/crime-carry-pepper-spray-self-defence/

• While pepper spray is illegal in Canada to carry or use as a potential mode of defence there is one exception. Pepper spray can be legally purchased and used in Canada if:
A) The spray clearly indicates on its dispenser that it is intended for animal, such as bear mace, and not human use
B) The spray must qualify as a pest control product under Canada’s Pest Control Product Act.
  • That being said, if you are found to using animal spray repellent as a pepper spray for personal protection, you can still be charged with a criminal offence.
  • For instance, if you were to be found carrying pepper spray in your bag or purse in a normal setting you would most likely be charged with a criminal offence.

In practice, my understanding is the following.

You may legally own 'bear spray'.

If purchasing it retail, you are obligated to relocate it to your home/car as soon as practical, not carry it on your person except as necessary.

To carry it out of your home, you must be en route to an area where you would have legal cause to use it, bringing it to someone else for the same purpose, or returning it to a legal retailer or disposer.

To use it legally on a person would be very challenging; as it is listed a prohibited weapon. There may (not a legal opinion) be a defense of opportunity/necessity if you otherwise had it for a legal reason. (ie someone attacked you while hiking, in bear country, and you had the spray w/you. ) but I'm not sure that would hold up and not personally aware of any precedent.

I have spent time in the wilderness and own the product. I had to sign for it to buy it out of a locked case.

Its kept safely in storage when I'm in the City and never leaves unless I'm going to a wilderness area w/a material risk.

I've never had to use it; and I've met bears a couple of times......fortunately they were either indifferent to me or scared and went the other way.

Regardless, it is not something to carry w/you on the subway in Toronto unless your returning home from having legally purchased it.

Further, that really isn't a safe place to use it, the stuff is nasty and aerosol. It can cause respiratory difficulties, temporary blindness, nausea and in rare cases, death. Not a toy.

The typical stuff you get for the back country is also not a close-range weapon.....the spray range is 12ft-35ft.

The last couple of days I've been seeing most of the Toronto Rocket trains now have the side signs tuned on along with the external announcement of Line 1 towards Finch and Line 1 Towards Vaughn, the Vaughn one scrolls well the finch one stays fixed.

Southbound at Bloor Yonge

:oops:

You knows what's worst than no destination sign? A wrong destination sign!

Especially embarrassing considering the fact that they've had numerous months to solve the issues with the destination signs and they still cant even get it right.
I mean, it took them a few weeks to get Line 4 right. Line 1 is a whole different beast.

Re: the side signs on the YUS - it appears that once BBD dug into what was required, they either declined to do the work or quoted a price that the TTC was not comfortable with.

So, the decision was made a week or so ago to use them as-is, with the original 4-position rotary switch, but with a slight change in wording to the text to (hopefully) get around the restrictions within the AODA regulations. The yard crews are supposed to set the switch for the operators prior to the entry of the train into service, but evidently a couple of them forgot.

Dan

Back