News   Apr 24, 2024
 846     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 597     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There are also more pedestrians along the streetcar routes than bus routes.

Yes exactly, whats the data on street foot traffic and even car traffic on the streetcar routes vs buses.

Streetcars are on the busiest routes in the city, for the very reason they hold more people. Density = more opportunity for accidents.

This data needs to be extrapolated for pedestrian/car density before an accurate conclusion can be made.

I'm surprised that a third of the streetcar deaths on are St. Clair, with another quarter on Spadina. That's 60% of the deaths on right-of-ways instead of mixed traffic.

I wonder if it includes suicides?
Simple, people don't look for streetcars when they jaywalk across. The difference is Spadina has a safety island between the road and actual streetcar trackage, St Clair doesn't. By the time they cross the roadway they are already in live streetcar traffic.

Proof:
By the time this woman looked, the streetcar was already there.

Simple, people don't look for streetcars when they jaywalk across. The difference is Spadina has a safety island between the road and actual streetcar trackage, St Clair doesn't. By the time they cross the roadway they are already in live streetcar traffic.
And yet the death rate on Spadina is second highest, with only St. Clair higher.

Which is partly why I wonder if they chose not to exclude suicides. It's only 1.5 deaths a year ... which is far lower than the suicide rate alone on the subway tracks.

There are also more pedestrians along the streetcar routes than bus routes.

There's a lot of bus routes with just as much pedestrian traffic as any streetcar route. And in any case, there's no way for a streetcar to end up anywhere near the sidewalk.

I'm surprised that a third of the streetcar deaths on are St. Clair, with another quarter on Spadina. That's 60% of the deaths on right-of-ways instead of mixed traffic.
And yet the death rate on Spadina is second highest, with only St. Clair higher.

Seems to me like the bigger issue is people carelessly jaywalking with the impression that the streetcar tracks are safe(r) because they're separated, and Eglinton might be even worse because of the turf that's supposed to be added on the ROW. A big difference with Spadina is that a lot of the track has curbs (often fairly wide curbs), which could explain the lower death/injury rate. On St. Clair there's no real separation between the streetcar tracks and the road, other than the step up.

In any case, maybe adding fences is a good answer here? That's definitely feasible for most of Spadina, it could work on parts of St. Clair as well.

There's a lot of bus routes with just as much pedestrian traffic as any streetcar route. And in any case, there's no way for a streetcar to end up anywhere near the sidewalk.

Seems to me like the bigger issue is people carelessly jaywalking with the impression that the streetcar tracks are safe(r) because they're separated, and Eglinton might be even worse because of the turf that's supposed to be added on the ROW. A big difference with Spadina is that a lot of the track has curbs (often fairly wide curbs), which could explain the lower death/injury rate. On St. Clair there's no real separation between the streetcar tracks and the road, other than the step up.

In any case, maybe adding fences is a good answer here? That's definitely feasible for most of Spadina, it could work on parts of St. Clair as well.

It doesn't seem like a turf would be added for the Crosstown or Finch West from the renderings. The fire department threw a "hissy-fit" when it was proposed on Queens Quay along with a Scarborough Councillor who declared "war on grass." Not sure how Paris (which is incredibly more dense than Toronto) is able to manage putting a grass median in its LRT network without driving its fire department up the wall.

https://torontolife.com/city/toronto-politics/scarborough-city-councillor-declares-war-grass/

It doesn't seem like a turf would be added for the Crosstown or Finch West from the renderings. The fire department threw a "hissy-fit" when it was proposed on Queens Quay along with a Scarborough Councillor who declared "war on grass." Not sure how Paris (which is incredibly more dense than Toronto) is able to manage putting a grass median in its LRT network without driving its fire department up the wall.

https://torontolife.com/city/toronto-politics/scarborough-city-councillor-declares-war-grass/
Oh St Clair with poles in the middle. Have we ever receive a figure on how many emergency minutes were lost due to the fact they can't use that ROW?

Not sure how Paris (which is incredibly more dense than Toronto) is able to manage putting a grass median in its LRT network without driving its fire department up the wall.
It's far more than just Paris. It's the default option in many cities with far more advanced transit systems than Toronto.

I use the University Line regularly both in the afternoon and late evenings. Ever since ATC was turned on from St Clair West to St Patrick I noticed the onestop signs showing an estimated time of between 10-15 minutes for the next train.

Last night at 23:20 it showed the next train as 15 minutes northbound to Vaughan from Union . Today at around 14:17 it showed the next train south to Union from St George as 10 minutes away. The times felt as though they were accurate in both cases.

Does anyone know what the hell happened?

I use the University Line regularly both in the afternoon and late evenings. Ever since ATC was turned on from St Clair West to St Patrick I noticed the onestop signs showing an estimated time of between 10-15 minutes for the next train.
Which station? I wonder if it's a mismatch between trains coming from the old system to the new system.

Today is only day 3 of ATC operation - hopefully things sort themselves out quickly

Which station? I wonder if it's a mismatch between trains coming from the old system to the new system.

Today is only day 3 of ATC operation - hopefully things sort themselves out quickly

At 23:20 I was at Union heading north to St George and today I was at St George heading to Union.

Last night at 23:20 it showed the next train as 15 minutes northbound to Vaughan from Union . Today at around 14:17 it showed the next train south to Union from St George as 10 minutes away. The times felt as though they were accurate in both cases.

Does anyone know what the hell happened?
Cutbacks at QP. Time just ain't what it used to be...

Back