News   Apr 15, 2024
 861     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 637     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I think shelters are becoming less about shelters and more about advertising as people really don't use them as much as they used to.
Well, yes. Why do you think all the shelters are owned, installed and maintained by Astral? (When the contract ends I think ownership of the old shelters and all the street furniture passes to the City.)

Last edited:
Westlake Condos have these at the base of one of the towers and not cheap to do
29629970852_eaa57d570c_h.jpg

29114829134_1e0f16e951_h.jpg

The shelters are not owned by the city nor the TTC. They are owned by Astral.

Want something better, then you have to pay for it yourself and then get the money back by having advertising on it. If someone breaks the glass or puts graffiti on it, you will have to repair or clean it yourself out of your pocket.

The article references the disability standards as requiring 1.7 meters of sidewalk space. What kind of disabled person requires that much space? I've never seen a wheelchair anywhere near that wide.
You surely aren't proposing that wheelchairs may only proceed in a straight line with no maneuvering room? That said, it seems "mobility devices" are getting ever larger.

You surely aren't proposing that wheelchairs may only proceed in a straight line with no maneuvering room? That said, it seems "mobility devices" are getting ever larger.
No, not at all, but 1.7 meters is about the length of my couch. I haven't seen anything that wide trying to maneuver down the street.

The article references the disability standards as requiring 1.7 meters of sidewalk space. What kind of disabled person requires that much space? I've never seen a wheelchair anywhere near that wide.

I personally hate all the shelters that don't have a full enclosure. It's really awful in bad weather.
I believe the provincial requirements are 1.5m.

Last edited:
An update on 'Easier Access'.

Tenders are now out on St. Patrick and Royal York. (for elevator construction)

This brings every proposed in-service by 2018 elevator into the construction phase, and Royal York from the 2019 calendar.

The remaining in-service as at 2019 stations are Wilson, King, Runnymede, Yorkdale and Wellesley.

To meet that target, most of those will have to be tendered by summer of next year, at the latest, and preferably by Q1.

Some of those stations listed are proving to have tough design challenges, look for some easier stations to happen earlier, Chester being a strong possibility.

Most companies have switched to BYOD (and have restricted usage to only those that really need one).
I can't be the only one that loses coverage in the office, the closer I am to the concrete core.

And I recall being up the BMO tower for a meeting, and realising that I had a great view, and no cell coverage.

Combine that with the poor sound quality off a mobile, then I don't think that real phones on desks (though presumably on an IP network) are going anywhere soon, for most big companies.

(and who doesn't need a phone, other than the daytime cleaning staff).

Depends upon how much will those express routes go against the budget cuts for 2017.

The gross operating cost of the five new and enhanced express routes in 2016 is $4.2 million ($5.7 million annually). The express routes are expected to attract approximately 400,000 new customers in 2016 (1.1 million new customers annually when ridership fully matures in subsequent years). The fare revenue for the express routes is estimated to be $800,000 in 2016 ($2.3 million annually when ridership fully matures). Therefore, the net operating cost of implementing the new and enhanced express routes in 2016 is $3.4 million ($3.4 million annually) which is included in the TTC’s base 2016 Operating Budget approved by the TTC Board on November 23, 2015 and will be considered by City Council on February 17 and 18, 2016.

The 12 buses required to operate this service were acquired in 2015 and, therefore, there are no additional capital costs for this new service.

Back