News   Jul 31, 2024
 185     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 540     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 474     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Maybe we should use a zigzag line at on-street streetcar stops to "wake" up the drivers.
I've had a similar idea -- how about adding red thermoplastic paint in the curb lane to remind drivers that they're passing a streetcar stop? I find that the stops with the most streetcar passing offenses are the ones that are not at an intersection (e.g., Dundas and College eastbound), and I suspect that many drivers are just unaware of their surroundings and don't realize that the streetcar is stopping to take on or let off passengers. Some bright paint on the road might be a good reminder. (Though honestly, the only solution is enforcement and ruthless ticketing.)

I've had a similar idea -- how about adding red thermoplastic paint in the curb lane to remind drivers that they're passing a streetcar stop? I find that the stops with the most streetcar passing offenses are the ones that are not at an intersection (e.g., Dundas and College eastbound), and I suspect that many drivers are just unaware of their surroundings and don't realize that the streetcar is stopping to take on or let off passengers. Some bright paint on the road might be a good reminder. (Though honestly, the only solution is enforcement and ruthless ticketing.)

I suspect that people who deliberately pass the doors because they feel like they're more important than people riding the streetcar and don't mind potentially killing somebody on their way to work/home comprise a majority of illegal streetcar passing incidents vs. people who don't know the rules.

I generally only ride in the downtown core, and I see it happen all the time at fairly major intersections. When I lived in Fort York, I rode the 511 daily for a year or so and at Bathurst and Fort York--specifically southbound, almost never northbound funnily enough--almost every single time it stopped there there were at least 2-3 drivers blaze by going at least 70 km/h in a 50 zone. It was insane.

I have to agree with others who've said that cameras are the best way to deal with the problem. The higher-ups at the TTC even seem to be implying that when they talk about it, though obviously the HTA doesn't currently allow them to issue tickets by camera for that offence. I just don't see any other way of doing it--these rich people driving BMWs (my experience at Bathurst and Fort York) won't even care about a regular $100 or whatever ticket, it needs to be escalating each offense up to thousands of dollars, and it needs to include demerit points, and there simply aren't enough police out there for how often it happens.

I was riding the 505 earlier and a SUV just charged right through open door at Yonge and Dundas. Too bad for him there was a police cruiser right behind him and pulled him over right away :D
I wouldve loved to see the look on the driver's face when he/she got pulled over. It would've been priceless

I wouldve loved to see the look on the driver's face when he/she got pulled over. It would've been priceless
probably a look of total surprise....if they broke this law with "a police cruiser right behind him" I am gonna guess they are ignorant to the law.

Or not very observant
Given the shouting matches I've had with some drivers who haven't stopped, or blown the back doors, and then stopped ... some are completely ignorant.

The best ones are the ones that stop half-way blocking the back doors, and then start shouting at me for being in the middle of the road.

Given the shouting matches I've had with some drivers who haven't stopped, or blown the back doors, and then stopped ... some are completely ignorant.

The best ones are the ones that stop half-way blocking the back doors, and then start shouting at me for being in the middle of the road.
True story...I have received one ticket in my 37 years of driving...and it was for passing a streetcar with the doors open. I was in stop and go traffic on Bathurst....was stopped behind a line of cars right at a street car stop. Just as the cars in front of me started to move a streetcar pulled up and opened the doors....I made a judgement call that the best thing for everyone's safety was for me to get out of the way before people stepped off the streetcar....the police cruiser that pulled up right at that moment just saw my car moving past open doors and pulled me over and ticketed me. Thankfully no one was hurt (that was part of my calculation and I still think it was the right thing to do).....I didn't like the police officer's attitude towards me ( a bit condescending) but certainly understood what he thought he saw and why he ticketed me....but (sometimes) things are not always as cut and dried as they appear.

Ah, that's a bit different. Only time I got in the face of a driver who did that, is that I was already walking past him between him and the streetcar when he decided he should move his car out of the way. And even then, I wouldn't have said anything had he not started shouting at me when I tapped on his back window as I walked behind him ...

Well in some unrelated news, the DOA GO Transit Sticker for the Metropass will most likely be coming to an end. I knew this would be a failed project right from the start and it shows how fare integration should NOT be done.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...-for-ttc-metropass-holders-due-to-low-uptake/
They really need to incorporate the entire 416. Of course they don't want people to ride GO buses from STC to Yorkdale using a metropass with a sticker so this program is dead right from the start.

The whole point is to make some money but not fill up the trains since they don't want to spend more money on operating more capacity. This is the result of such decision.

They really need to incorporate the entire 416. Of course they don't want people to ride GO buses from STC to Yorkdale using a metropass with a sticker so this program is dead right from the start.

The whole point is to make some money but not fill up the trains since they don't want to spend more money on operating more capacity. This is the result of such decision.

Would have been interesting to see the uptake with at LEAST Long Branch/Mimico, Kipling, Bloor/Weston (including UPX), Oriole, and Kennedy. The article hit the nail on the head, you have Kipling and Kennedy with a directly integrated GO/subway station that don't have service whereas Main/Danforth is a few minutes' walk outside...similarly, Long Branch is integrated with the TTC loop--I could see a lot of 501 riders going west instead of the long haul east and transferring to GO if it were available at the right price. Limiting it to Exhibition and Danforth was a poor decision.

Hopefully they do a better job of fare integration proper in the coming years, but this doesn't exactly boost my optimism...

Back