News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC and Metrolinx to hold joint board meeting
The two agencies will sit down together for the first time at the end of the month.

See link.

Screen shot 2016-04-07 at 3.38.55 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-07 at 3.38.55 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-07 at 3.38.55 PM.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 624
I've noticed though, that the flashing lights don't seem to start until a couple of seconds after the vehicle comes to a complete stop. That might stop a car taking out someone disembarking, however doesn't help with those who think it's okay to race past the streetcar before the doors open.

Perhaps the back lights could flash like when a car put its hazards on right as the streetcar slows to a stop to let people off.

That way it will grab any drivers attention: they are used to seeing hazard lights anywhere, whether an out of towner or not.

Old streetcars were used by West Park Hospital (Weston & Jane) for patient residences. See link.

father-and-child-patient-outside-streetcar-1909.jpg

patient-living-in-streetcar-chalet-1904.jpg

The only treatment for pulmonary tuberculosis or “consumption” prior to the discovery of antibiotics was bed rest and fresh air. Sanitariums were designed to provide the conditions for a patient’s immune system to fight the infection on its own. In Toronto, if you were in the latent and early stages of tuberculosis you had a good chance of recovery and were sent north to a sanitorium in Gravenhurst. Being sent to Weston was a bad omen.

I'm a school bus driver. It happens all the time in Toronto, every day almost. Especially from drivers going in the opposite direction than you. They just don't stop when the STOP sign is out and the red overhead lights are flashing. In other words, there's never a police officer when you need one.

I just started as one myself a few months ago! :)

Personally I think there should put cameras on the outside of buses and streetcars to catch people not stopping or yielding the right of way. Then simply mail the licence holder the ticket in the mail. With Torontonian drivers, we could have the money to build a subway under any street we wanted to within a week.

I just started as one myself a few months ago! :)

Personally I think there should put cameras on the outside of buses and streetcars to catch people not stopping or yielding the right of way. Then simply mail the licence holder the ticket in the mail. With Torontonian drivers, we could have the money to build a subway under any street we wanted to within a week.

Illegal left turns. Parking in a NO STANDING or NO STOPPING zone. Maybe even going through a red light ahead the transit vehicle. Several reasons for cameras to record and mail infractions.

Illegal left turns. Parking in a NO STANDING or NO STOPPING zone. Maybe even going through a red light ahead the transit vehicle. Several reasons for cameras to record and mail infractions.

My personal 'favourite' is when drivers can't be bothered to wait to turn right when there's a bus picking up passengers in the right-hand lane. The solution? Go into the left-hand lane and *then* turn right! Laws, schmaws!

My personal 'favourite' is when drivers can't be bothered to wait to turn right when there's a bus picking up passengers in the right-hand lane. The solution? Go into the left-hand lane and *then* turn right! Laws, schmaws!

If the bus' four-way flashes are flashing, they could. If only the right-turn flashers are flashing, they shouldn't. If the only the left-turn flashers are flashing, the vehicles following should YIELD to let the bus move in (as shown in the rear sign).

ytb_sign.gif

I've seen bicyclists almost get hit by doing that just as the bus starts moving again.

If the bus' four-way flashes are flashing, they could. If only the right-turn flashers are flashing, they shouldn't. If the only the left-turn flashers are flashing, the vehicles following should YIELD to let the bus move in (as shown in the rear sign).

ytb_sign.gif
These drivers are making right turns from the left lane. Is that ever legal?

It's often a grey area as to whether there is room to make a lane change ahead of the stopped bus. Some right turn lanes are built on the longish side for just this reason, so a stopped bus doesn't impede motorists.

I will admit I am guilty of doing this. For every time I have transgressed, there is another time when I have dutifully pulled in behind the bus, only to have the driver throw on their 4-ways and even dash off the bus to buy a coffee. If it's a major intersection, the bus may decide to kill time as it's a scheduled timepoint. Is it a Highway Traffic offense to block a right turn lane?

Of course, when I pull aound the bus, most times it starts to move. Life is like that.

- Paul

Ironically enough, the most blatant violation of driving past open streetcar doors I've witnessed recently, in which people actually jumped out of the way was a school bus. Oops.

What can be done for these stops and will cost money, you put a stop light behind the car that is trip by the LRV nearing the stop. It stay red until the the LRV starts to move by tripping the signal light to go green and remain green until the next LRV shows up. Saw this in Europe and work fine.

The light goes to red from green once trip.

Having a camera on vehicles and sending the driver a ticket for going by it or making illegal turns in front of the them is long over due. Downside of doing this will have to be a law written that force the owner to pay the ticket regardless who may be driving the vehicle at the time with no point being lost. The fine needs to start at $500 or more.

Last edited:
In some jurisdictions, they use zigzag lines painted on the roads. Usually mean a pedestrian crossing ahead or a no stopping zone.

london-abbey-road-beatles-imitation.jpg

Abbey Road, famous for some famous rock band.

Maybe we should use a zigzag line at on-street streetcar stops to "wake" up the drivers.
en.si.2012.0331.0024.jpg

These drivers are making right turns from the left lane. Is that ever legal?
If a vehicle is broken down near an intersection, then it must be allowed to pass it on the left and make a right turn in front of it.

As crs1026 says, the signals that the bus uses are often not consistent.

Back