News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 596     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Anyone see this video of moped and bus.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/dramatic-dashcam-footage-shows-moped-crash-in-leslieville-1.2823372

The still image clearly shows that bus signaled first. What I couldn't tell was whether that was a licensed moped, or an e-bike of some sorts. It appears to be a driving move from someone who doesn't have a license.

ir.ashx
Looks like a DUIcycle to me.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/dramatic-dashcam-footage-shows-moped-crash-in-leslieville-1.2823372

The still image clearly shows that bus signaled first. What I couldn't tell was whether that was a licensed moped, or an e-bike of some sorts. It appears to be a driving move from someone who doesn't have a license.

ir.ashx

My car has sensors which beep should something or a human or an animal gets close to it. Especially useful when parking. Don't the newer buses have such sensor beepers, to help in such an above circumstance?

Oh wait! It's probably an optional extra that would cost money. We can't spend money on safety equipment for the TTC just because it may prevent human injuries. The penny-pinchers have spoken.

I don't think I've heard if any operator that has a bus with those sensors. I know that they all have a beeping sound when reversing. Does anyone know of any operator with back up sensors or back up cameras?

My car has sensors which beep should something or a human or an animal gets close to it. Especially useful when parking. Don't the newer buses have such sensor beepers, to help in such an above circumstance?

Oh wait! It's probably an optional extra that would cost money. We can't spend money on safety equipment for the TTC just because it may prevent human injuries. The penny-pinchers have spoken.

TTC bus drivers are really good and don't need sensors or any other safety equipment you speak of. The 'dingbat' should not have tried to pass the bus on the right hand side.

ir.ashx
Bikes and mopeds are the worst thing to share the road with a transit bus. It must be really annoying for the driver to pass the bike/moped, have a passenger request a stop at the last second and the bus will have to stop. The bike/moped would pass the bike again. Streetcars would definitely be safer for downtown bike traffic.

This moped drive tried to pass the bus. The bus driver probably did see her slipping through as he just passed a parked vehicle. Normally if you pass a bike for a distance, bikes won't be able to slip through but a moped is fast enough to do so.

I don't know what sensor would have helped in this case. Parking senors only work withing a foot or so. This woman was at least 5m away when the bus started to enter the right lane. By the time the sensor would have gone off, it's a little too late. The bus driver would have to quickly react. Normally drivers check once and if the way is clear, you merge. You donit continuously check the mirror cause you'll hit something in front.

Clearly she didn't pay attention and sensors aren't idiot proof. If you're going to do something stupid like squeeze through instead of braking. Technology can't help them. Maybe she needs a sensor for her moped to tell her if a car is going to merge, slow down cause you moped can't beat it.

I haven't heard of a proven sensor system for buses or trucks. It's not a proven thing in North America, so TTC is not a penny pitcher. It's not like everyone in the GTA has it and TTC doesn't. What if they install a new system that fails after 2 years. Who would be complaining then?

I don't think we should spend money (which results in increased fares and taxes) on Darwin award nominees, when the rider simply shouldn't have passed the vehicle on the right.

I remember you making a similar post for some other once in a blue moon TTC scenario.

What I couldn't tell was whether that was a licensed moped, or an e-bike of some sorts. It appears to be a driving move from someone who doesn't have a license.

Yup - definitely a POS (unlicensed) Chinese E-Bike. You can see the hub motor clearly in a shot later on in the video. The superficial pedals are hidden under her helmet.

image.jpeg

Sorry to see anyone get hurt, but hopefully some good comes out of this incident - and by good I either mean a ban on these outright or requiring training & a licence to get them. I'm so sick of these people driving them the wrong way down road, on sidewalks, blowing through stop signs and lights...

It's not an issue of the bus needing more sensors. It's an issue of other road users heeding the signals on the bus.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 463
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like licensing for all e-bike and bicycles is needed. If your on the road, you need to be licensed and pay the annual fee.

You guys are sounding a lot like drivers on the Sun's Facebook page complaining about those 'pinko cyclists.' Especially when you consider that a half decent road bike can easily out speed an electric since they are speed limited, and that e-bikes open up the benefits of cycling to those who may lack the physical endurance or ability to ride a normal bike.

Whats the purpose of a drivers license?
  1. ensures understanding of rules to allow for better traffic flow
  2. ensures level of safety to prevent others from being hurt
  3. ensures level of safety to ensure driver (and passengers) don't get hurt (since health care cost borne by government).
  4. a tax
For all of the above reasons, all vehicles from bikes to cars should require a permit for the driver.

What is the purpose of a vehicle registration?
  1. pay for construction and upkeep of the portion of road
  2. subsidize others who use the road for public good (i.e. emergency vehicles)
  3. subsidize others to benefit public (i.e. trucks delivering goods and produce)
  4. make vehicle identifiable for enforcement of rules
  5. a tax
Again, for all of the above reasons, all vehicles from bikes to cars should require a permit for the vehicle.

Back