News   Jul 17, 2024
 113     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 740     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It was raised at last week meeting as well stated at the April 5 meeting. You will hear that comment in the video.
Meetings of what?

Either ways - it's no secret that they were planning some. How many stations are they talking about now.

Recall the discussion started by @Northern Light in May 2019 in the Phase III thread after they released the 2019-2023 TTC Multi-Year Accessibility Plan which noted that will by 2023 ''TTC will initiate a study for Phase 4 of the Easier Access Program. It is expected that this study will evaluate feasibility and priorities for providing elevator redundancy, new accessible entrances, and/or other accessibility features at key stations" where you noted that "Its a step in the right direction".

Meetings of what?

Either ways - it's no secret that they were planning some. How many stations are they talking about now.

Recall the discussion started by @Northern Light in May 2019 in the Phase III thread after they released the 2019-2023 TTC Multi-Year Accessibility Plan which noted that will by 2023 ''TTC will initiate a study for Phase 4 of the Easier Access Program. It is expected that this study will evaluate feasibility and priorities for providing elevator redundancy, new accessible entrances, and/or other accessibility features at key stations" where you noted that "Its a step in the right direction".

I imagine @drum118 is referring to the Waterfront East LRT meeting the other night; the presentation for which is linked here:

Not sure where in that they discuss elevator policies.

Meetings of what?

It was raised during the Q&A section of Waterfront on line meeting foe QQE and no idea where it is time wise in the video.

No idea how many stations will see 2 now, but all of them need 2 in the first place. Going to cost a lot more adding that 2nd elevator compare to having both going in at the same time. A number of station will have a hard time finding space for that 2nd elevator.

Come 2026 on, TTC and the city will have to deal with a number of legal actions that will happen by a few groups over the current issues of having one elevator to the point it could be 6 months before users can use that out of service elevator as well been force to travel from another station to their station by surface.

Come 2026 on, TTC and the city will have to deal with a number of legal actions that will happen by a few groups over the current issues of having one elevator to the point it could be 6 months before users can use that out of service elevator as well been force to travel from another station to their station by surface.
All TTC would have to do to mitigate this is run a Wheeltrans shuttle from the station with the broken elevator, to an adjacent station.

Second elevators will come slowly - but I doubt it will be implemented beyond critical stations for decades.

Not to sidetrack us too much, but while I did not hear the comment in question, I can confirm that:

1) Bloor-Yonge will have 4 elevators connecting Line 1 to Line 2 (Line 1 NB to Line 2 EB and WB); and the equivalent for SB. There will also be 2 elevators paths to the surface from each Line 1 platform via elevator (as there are now).

2) I am told St. George will get a second elevator on its existing platforms when the new platforms are added.

First I've heard of this -- are they planning a spanish solution type deal there?

I don't believe so, I think they'll follow the same pattern as Union, and Y-B, with the new platforms being dedicated to SB and EB services respectively and the existing ones becoming NB and WB respectively.

Personally I dislike the move away from centre platforms at Union and Bloor. But I understand the reason.

Reactions: T3G
Today there is the Easter Parade out in the Beach(es) and it will be missing TTC Heritage Fleet as the OS is pans only for them. With the lack of funds on TTC part, the chances of seeing the Heritage Fleet on the road is getting very thin as more of the system become pan only.

Pans can be added to the Heritage Fleet at a cost and time to do, but will it happen? There seem to be a plan in place for a decade or so that the Heritage Fleet will become a display only with one PCC going to Wychwood Barn and the rest to a TTC Museum.

Personally, having them on display is a huge mistake considering there are systems around the world that have their Heritage Fleet out on the weekends, run them as an in service car during the summer months, paying an extra fare to ride them with some system changing various type of equipment daily. We have ridden 110 year cars at normal fare that ran on part of the main system and then branch off onto a line for themselves only.

Lets hope TTC and the City realizes that having the Heritage fleet out on the road will be a must ride for visitors to the city and transit geek's than store away. Even NYC has a heritage subway train that sees service from time to time. Where is TTC heritage subway Fleet? Same can be said for a Heritage Bus Fleet as there a few systems with them. TTC only has 1 Heritage Bus.

Lets hope TTC and the City realizes that having the Heritage fleet out on the road will be a must ride for visitors to the city and transit geek's than store away. Even NYC has a heritage subway train that sees service from time to time. Where is TTC heritage subway Fleet? Same can be said for a Heritage Bus Fleet as there a few systems with them. TTC only has 1 Heritage Bus.
I am afraid to say this but with the current City budget problems and the lack of political will to fix it (raise taxes), we may be riding the same vehicles the 2030s and 2040s - so we will be USING a heritage fleet as the operational (or broken!) one. Sad!

For the Easter Parade, the 501 streetcar is terminating at Kingston Road.

501_BEP_Apr9.gif
From link.

If I was the TTC CEO, I would have had the 501 go up Kingston Road to terminate at Bingham Loop. So then some users could use Kingston Road as an alternate route.

Today there is the Easter Parade out in the Beach(es) and it will be missing TTC Heritage Fleet as the OS is pans only for them. With the lack of funds on TTC part, the chances of seeing the Heritage Fleet on the road is getting very thin as more of the system become pan only.

Pans can be added to the Heritage Fleet at a cost and time to do, but will it happen? There seem to be a plan in place for a decade or so that the Heritage Fleet will become a display only with one PCC going to Wychwood Barn and the rest to a TTC Museum.

Personally, having them on display is a huge mistake considering there are systems around the world that have their Heritage Fleet out on the weekends, run them as an in service car during the summer months, paying an extra fare to ride them with some system changing various type of equipment daily. We have ridden 110 year cars at normal fare that ran on part of the main system and then branch off onto a line for themselves only.

Unlike New York, Toronto is not as a city that could in any way be accused of caring for its heritage. The suits in charge are probably salivating at the thought of locking the cars away and not having to spend a cent on them.

Unlike New York, Toronto is not as a city that could in any way be accused of caring for its heritage. The suits in charge are probably salivating at the thought of locking the cars away and not having to spend a cent on them.
The same will happen to the New York subway as it migrates to CBTC. Once the system is near-completely migrated, you won't be seeing heritage trains running there either. Not that it's a bad thing: the agency's job is to run a public service.

Back