News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 479     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

At this time, TTC route 50 change over will happen sometime in 2022.

The same can be said for route 49, but service will be scale back badly on the weekends from 10am to 8pm rather than the current 530am to 1100pm span. Weekdays cuts are coming as well.

Can see a number of TTC riders trying to get on Mississauga buses outside those times to the point some will be paying double fare both ways, More going west than east. Otherwise, TTC riders will have to walk to/from Burnhamthrope to get a bus or get home.

I guess TTC not willing to pay Mississauga extra cost or Mississauga asking too much money.

At this time, TTC route 50 change over will happen sometime in 2022.

The same can be said for route 49, but service will be scale back badly on the weekends from 10am to 8pm rather than the current 530am to 1100pm span. Weekdays cuts are coming as well.

Can see a number of TTC riders trying to get on Mississauga buses outside those times to the point some will be paying double fare both ways, More going west than east. Otherwise, TTC riders will have to walk to/from Burnhamthrope to get a bus or get home.

I guess TTC not willing to pay Mississauga extra cost or Mississauga asking too much money.
I don't see why TTC can't run the 50 when Miway isn't running. This could be just an extra run that is tagged onto another route that has busier midday period such as the 37 Islington. That works out just fine on weekends.

The City has launched yet another transit priority study to figure out where to implement bus lanes and other priority improvements. (didn't we already do this with the TTC surface transit network plan and have several corridors prioritized for implementation?) Of course the outcome of this process is to prioritize roadways for more "roadway specific studies" that will occur from 2022-2031. So basically no improved surface transit for at least 3 years... Go fill out the survey and let them know how you feel!

Personally I would like to see transit malls with bike lanes developed along Dundas, College, and Queen in the core - maybe between Spadina and Church? We need to make cross-city trips by vehicle more difficult and push more sustainable modes.
Likely the survey will be done post-COVID-19, to see what changes in ridership may have occurred.

The City has launched yet another transit priority study to figure out where to implement bus lanes and other priority improvements. (didn't we already do this with the TTC surface transit network plan and have several corridors prioritized for implementation?) Of course the outcome of this process is to prioritize roadways for more "roadway specific studies" that will occur from 2022-2031. So basically no improved surface transit for at least 3 years... Go fill out the survey and let them know how you feel!

Personally I would like to see transit malls with bike lanes developed along Dundas, College, and Queen in the core - maybe between Spadina and Church? We need to make cross-city trips by vehicle more difficult and push more sustainable modes.

Before I get to the survey (which I will)..........I want to share the image from that link showing which routes are under consideration......some are quite baffling..........

97af-RBSP-map.jpg

Cosburn? Its 1-lane each way, plus bike lanes/cycle tracks. What are we going to do here, ban cars entirely? Cosburn is completely open most of the day..........moderately busy in rush hour, but not bad.

Coxwell south of Danforth is also usually pretty good, except in rush hours, with the possible exception of the area between upper and lower Gerrard.

I suppose we could ban parking in that segment, and maybe restrict lefts from Coxwell to lower Gerrard .....??

Warden between St. Clair and Kingston has next to no traffic.

Why Yonge south of Finch? There's a subway for that, and hopefully, soon, cycle tracks on all of it..............this is bizarre.

Hey everyone!

I am thinking of getting my Grandmother a Presto Card so she can go from her home in Pickering to Scarborough Centenary Hospital by bus. She intends to register it as a senior card but I am wondering how that works given she is travelling between transit systems (DRT and TTC).

Does she need to set the concession fare on the card with the TTC, DRT (possibly GO transit) or can she just go to the Pickering Town Centre and get it done there as a general change for all transit systems?

Further to my above post (since it relates to her travels), I noted Steve Munro saying that 95 was being extended to Port Union and Sheppard as of October 10th. I have been checking the TTC website but see no information on proposed changes to the 95 York Mills.

Is this still a thing or was the extension canceled?

See here: https://stevemunro.ca/2021/09/11/ttc-service-changes-october-10-2021/

Hey everyone!

I am thinking of getting my Grandmother a Presto Card so she can go from her home in Pickering to Scarborough Centenary Hospital by bus. She intends to register it as a senior card but I am wondering how that works given she is travelling between transit systems (DRT and TTC).

Does she need to set the concession fare on the card with the TTC, DRT (possibly GO transit) or can she just go to the Pickering Town Centre and get it done there as a general change for all transit systems?
When you get it set for seniors’ fare, it looks like it’s for all systems. My parents got their card set to senior at the GO station and they get charged senior fare when they use the TTC and DRT too.

In a similar vein, Bloor and Danforth also have a subway underneath. My only thought is maybe they intend to just study things like transit priority signalling, but even then there are very few buses that run on that stretch of road other than the night bus when traffic is low.

Danforth, east of Main has multiple bus routes; so that part is fine; but west of Woodbine makes no sense.

Did the survey.

In order to add useful comments you have to use the 'other' function on the map.

The key is understanding not only if there is a problem, but the nature of it, and likely fix.

As examples:

Buses which exit Main Station, and then need to go left/EB on Danforth do not get any advanced left turn signal.

Easily fixed; the City has been told before!

Similarly, a lot of congestion on Danforth just east of there is the result of turning movements at non-signalized intersections; turning movements which need to be restricted, seeing as Danforth now has only 1 lane each way, so a turning vehicle can hold a line of cars and buses for several blocks.

The City has launched yet another transit priority study
It’s the Canadian way: if you don’t want to make decisions, strike up a committee and engage in a data-gathering exercise. Rinse and repeat until your hand is forced. It’s exactly what Mayor Tory just did for the rooming house debate.

Toronto’s politicians are especially risk-averse and beholden to the status quo.

It’s the Canadian way: if you don’t want to make decisions, strike up a committee and engage in a data-gathering exercise. Rinse and repeat until your hand is forced. It’s exactly what Mayor Tory just did for the rooming house debate.

Toronto’s politicians are especially risk-averse and beholden to the status quo.

True, though a number of ridership patterns have substantially changed over the last 18 months. If some of that is permanent then it impacts long-term priorities quite a bit.

If TTC was a private business, I'd expect them to sit back to watch travel patterns for a few years and hoard cash before starting any non-trivial construction project.

Last edited:
True, though a number of ridership patterns have substantially changed over the last 18 months. If some of that is permanent then it impacts long-term priorities quite a bit.

If TTC was a private business, I'd expect them to sit back to watch travel patterns for a few years and hoard cash.

This is primarily aimed at BRT/streetcar priority measures.

Ridership volume isn't irrelevant, but its down on the list of reasons for the changes proposed.

The key is whether a route/line is functioning optimally (crowding, headway, gapping/bunching) and what measures might assist in making these better, particularly at low cost.

The TTC knows which routes have issues; their own data shows it to them and for good measure Steve Munro thwacks them over the head with it semi-regularly.

This study is not about new routes, or route alignments.

Its about transit-priority signals, exclusive transit lanes, fewer stops, better route management, parking restrictions, and turn restrictions.

There's no reason to delay making improvements on key routes.

Last edited:

Back